New Evidence White Coat Syndrome ? W C Hypertenion

NATURAL ANKLING

New Evidence White Coat Syndrome ? W C Hypertenion

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
The link posted may be older but its mentioned to day, that the those normal non controlled (meds) group who show signs of white coat syndrome (white coat hypertension) are at higher risk from heart disease / attack etc.
Passed off in the past as not relevant, but today its regarded as adverse even though they don't know what causes WC hypertension.
I not found a recent study as there is so much controversy about meds in general let along WCS, but its there.
https://journals.lww.com/jhypertension/ ... _in.7.aspx
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: New Evidence White Coat Syndrome ? W C Hypertenion

Post by Mick F »

Sorry, I can't read that.
It has paragraphs that are too long and involved. Personally, I can't do it. It makes my head swim.

As for what you are saying it says, I don't disagree in the slightest and I thought it was damned obvious and everyone already knew it.

I suffer from high BP when it is tested. It takes a great deal of concentration by me even to take it myself! I get wound up about it and it makes my BP increase.

It's not called hyperTENSION for nothing, and I'm a tense person.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Sorry Mick.
Basically it supports that those who suffer from white coat syndrome, when they go to get it tested (that's you and me) are at a greater risk if they are not on meds to normalise their BP at home if its high.

Those who suffer white coat syndrome, even though their home BP is normal are at greater risk of heart attack and risk of heart disease.
Than those like me who suffer WCS and are being treated, as my home BP can be sky high.....leading to headaches which in the past was also migraines.

So I suppose just keep going to the pub and chill :)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, pubs are good, so is sitting at home on this forum.
I get wound up about stuff, and the more I can relax, the better.

The trouble with taking BP, is what reading is correct?
I have a thread on here about it, but it never really answered the question.

I could take a reading one morning, and an hour later it's different. I can take one reading on one arm, and the other arm is different at the same time! When I chatted to the pharmacist when I had a review, he said take a series of them at different times of the day and pick out trends of the best ones when relaxed and quiet.

Using this method, I don't have a problem. Trouble is, just talking about it sends it up skywards. I can feel it now as I type.

What is normal for me?
Gordon only knows. Normal might be sky high?
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Yep.
I think generally the eve is best time, gives a slightly lower reading.
If you are on no BP meds then carry on as usual :)

Once a week would be fine.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
A newer article, which prompted me to post-

Don't read Mick :P Its a short version though.
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-06- ... nsion.html

"A new study led by researchers from Penn Medicine, published today in the Annals of Internal Medicine, revealed that patients with untreated white coat hypertension not only have a heightened risk of heart disease, but they are twice as likely to die from heart disease than people with normal blood pressure. "
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

My BP at home is 104 over 64, when I go to see the nurse my BP is never lower than 135 over 85.
so I'm on meds.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Lucky you :)
My BP is stable at about 120/80.
But post exercise can drop similar to yours.
I refuse to get my blood pressure at the doctors, I do a weeks list at home And submit that, keeps them happy.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes.
Exactly that! :D

If THEY test you, they want to put you on meds. I tried a few different ones and they ALL made me feel ill or headaches.
Mick F. Cornwall
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Several times I have been attached to a 24 hour BP monitor which kicks in at regular intervals. This then gives an average which I suppose is better than a once only spot check.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

They put one on me.

Horrible thing!
They said to carry on normally on my everyday activities.
I went for a bike ride, and the thing very nearly blew a fuse on a number of times. :lol:

I couldn't sleep overnight.
Every half hour the beast would squeeze my arm and beep.

Blood pressure was high due to stress for the whole time and I was heavily bruised after they took it off due to the continued regular high pressure squeezing.

Basically, after 24hrs, it was a waste of my time and theirs, and a complete waste of their precious resources.

If they offered me another go at one, I'd tell them where to stick it.
Mick F. Cornwall
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

It's these new fangled electronic cuffs, it's not that they're imprecise, they just lack repeatability across a variety of subjects and operators. Oh for the days when we used to stick a needle into your veins, connect to a manometer, and measure directly the blood pressure :lol:
From 30+ years experience of "first aid" dating back in the good ole days of Schafer and Holger Nielsen, I can safely say that you will always get different results for blood pressure. Place the cuff lengthwise or rotationally, just a centimetre differently and it reads differently.
So I wouldn't worry so much about differences between home and surgery.
But I understand the implications, WC hypertension if you get stressed going to the doctors, then this is indicative of a heightened stress response to stuff which could burn you out sooner than a Buddhist monk on ice.
I'd suggest if you have your own equipment, take a reading before leaving home, then bring it and take another at the surgery (yes Mrs Brown - it's the latest cost saving measure, we doing BP readings, inoculations and rectal exams ourselves now.....) to compare with the nurse/doctors'. I guarantee you that even in the office, you'd get different readings directly after one another.
As a nation we are stressed out. This is a primary contributory to obesity. This works in two ways. Directly because we are stressed, the constant stress hormones cause our bodies to take most of our carb intakes and converting it into abdominal fat. This leaves us physically tired and prone to over eating. The other reason is being stressed, we sleep worse, so are tired during the day, so eat to give ourself an energy boost which is actually exceeding our calorific needs. The stress hormones also cause the arteries to harden and fur up, which further causes pressure to rise for the same blood flow.
Become a Buddhist.... :D
Nagden

Post by Nagden »

I am a chronic sufferer of WC syndrome. I put It down to my doctor. Even when my BP Was just slightly high she used It as a stick to to beat me, and talking to me as if I Was stupid And put me on meds that did not agree with me And I probably did not need. She also takes my blood pressure with the cuff over my jumper. I Was of the impression that this gave à high reading. The last visit I made a point of rolling my sleeve up And she made a point of rolling It down. As a result of the doctors manner I am wound up before I see her. My BP at home is nothing like at the doctors And when I saw the cardiologist he acceptéd my home readings.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Nowadays your GP should just accept your home readings
Get a form / online from your GP website and you are done.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

I find it best if you know your GP on a social basis - obvioulsy if it's a friend you're unlikely to suffer so called white coat syndrome. It also helps with getting a same day appointment.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker