Easy erect tent for disabled rider

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Mick Metcalfe

Easy erect tent for disabled rider

Post by Mick Metcalfe »

Hi,

I’m after sourcing a tent that is as easy as possible to set up as I’m disabled with a spinal injury. I currently ride a recumbent, so any tents using the bike as a stabilising aid will not work. I had thought of a tepee style tent with a single internal pole but was wondering which would be best and/or if there was another option.
I’ve camped before so I’m not new to this, but it’s been a while and products/techniques change.
I’m planning on doing some cycle touring and chances are I’ll have to do it solo, though I would much prefer the social of having someone else alongside to enjoy their company. I’m just planning on a local tour initially to get used to new kit and to see what I’m able of achieving.
Any and all constructive advice would be very welcome. :)

Mick
NUKe

Re: Easy erect tent for disabled rider

Post by NUKe »

Mick take a look at Khyam , certainly the easiest tents to put up, not convinced on repacking though. There are the one touch tents millets sell as well.
NUKe

Post by MarcusT »

I have a tepee style, and even though there is only 1 pole, there are numerous guide lines to tie and anchor. I find it less convenient to set up than a free standing, but there is a lot more room.
There are many "pop-up" tents, but they pack very large and can be difficult to pack away.
Here is an example:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Active-Ventila ... 8495260f99
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
Mick Metcalfe

Post by Mick Metcalfe »

Thanks for the reply’s.

Those Khama tents only come in 3+ berth and seem extremely heavy. Weight isn’t much of a concern for me but 6-10kg May be pushing that boundary a bit to much.

Yes those pop up tents are great to set up but extremely awkward to put away and transport. I see them more of a festival tent or something that’s useful if you’ve a car as transport. :)

I’ve just been trawling the internet and think this might be useful, as you but the poles up first and then hang the tent off of it, which should make erecting the tent a little easier?

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/vaude ... ?colour=98

Cheers guys. :D
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Some of the simpler designs are more of a single pole freestanding structure.

Perhaps have a look at the video attached to this one an see what you think:

https://www.alpkit.com/products/soloist
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

How bad is the back, aka what can/cannot you do ??
I've only one arm and an iffy back.

The easiest type of true tent I've found for setting up is something like the Terra Nova Laser/ Wild Country Zephyros.
Footprint down and 6 peg in, tent on top, pole in sleeve and fit, 4 pegs in for guys and straighten the other 6 pegs. Done ....... :D
Taking it down is basically the reverse.
The only mod I need is a foot loop on where the ends of poles fit to hold it still while I fit the pole.

But crawling on my hand and knees does my back in, so getting in and out can be "fun".
I found the higher doors of the pop up type tents easier to get in and out.
So a higher tent may be better.

YMMV ........ :D
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Mick Metcalfe wrote:I’ve just been trawling the internet and think this might be useful, as you but the poles up first and then hang the tent off of it, which should make erecting the tent a little easier?
I've got a poles first tent (Allak)
It's easier in terms of dealing with wind, but there's a fair amount of leaning over and reaching down and outwards to do the hooking on at arms length, as you can't stand on the tent whilst doing so. If you've a dodgy back, you may feel the strain.

I'd recommend trying to find one put up at a shop/show, and going round unhooking and rehooking all of the points
sizbut

Post by sizbut »

Air inflated tents are all the rage for medium to large. Don't know if any have filtered down to 1/2/3 person but worth a hunt.
Mick Metcalfe

Post by Mick Metcalfe »

Thanks for all the suggestions. :)

Today I went into the shop and tried the Vaude Hogan 2P (external frame that I talked about above).
I did find it a lot easier, though I obviously wasn’t able to peg into the shop floor. Hehe
I did end up buying this tent as a result of testing it, and I also bought the footprint and some spare pegs, as I was surprised to see that there were only 6 in the bag.

I will hopefully be trying it out this weekend in the garden and I will also be getting my new Vaude Karakum pannier set, which will be a nice excuse for a test ride! :D
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Being a bit infirm I fancy an inflatable pole tent but being on my own I only want a 2 person size. So far I have found none of this size and the “ family” ones are far too big and heavy. If anybody else has found one it could interest a lot of us.
Mick Metcalfe

Post by Mick Metcalfe »

ambodach wrote:Being a bit infirm I fancy an inflatable pole tent but being on my own I only want a 2 person size. So far I have found none of this size and the “ family” ones are far too big and heavy. If anybody else has found one it could interest a lot of us.

This is the one I’ve just bought. Hope this helps. :)
https://youtu.be/UQMSa9MUBlY
Attachments
7E8949B2-68F0-4004-91CE-170189B49CCA.jpeg
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

That looks interesting but not inflatable. My current tent is a Banshee 200 which is not too bad but I would like something a bit bigger and easier as I am selling my motorhome soon and going back to car camping with a bike and a trike.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07N1SKG4S/ ... hDb99PNJSM

Just brought this for my daughter easy to put up with 2 shortish hoop poles.

Lightish in weight. About 3kg

Cheers James