Tent and sleeping bag

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sweep

Re: Tent and sleeping bag

Post by Sweep »

Can I ask whereabouts you are komet?

Snugpak have an annual sale I think from their factory shop - tends to be around December last I heard.

But you'd have to get yourself to Silsden near Keighley.
Sweep
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

pjclinch wrote:If you're just starting out then winter in Scotland is not something I'd suggest at this point. While good kit is important, successful winter camping is a lot about management and you get to learn that by doing it (mainly in summer, when the mistakes don't matter so much). I'd also concur with not using the same sleeping bag for everything, so start with a summer bag.

I think the best way to choose a tent is to crawl around inside pitched examples, and this time of year tent shows aren't too hard to find, or retailers willing to put up examples for you. Have you got enough room to sit up and lie down comfortably? Is there enough room for your stuff, can you imagine being stuck in there for a day where it's sheeting it down?
Once you have something that seems broadly okay, then look at weight, bulk and price. Will it go on your bike okay, can you afford it?

Pete.

For that budget you should be able to get a decent set-up.

I've camped at North Cape and in the Okovango Delta using the same tent - but agree that you need a different sleeping bag for colder weather and you need to be very disciplined. What is a minor annoyance in summer could be life-threatening if you're remote in the middle of winter.

These days I tend to max out at about 4 nights under canvas, then book in to a hostel to do some washing and have a decent shower.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

Sweep wrote:
Tigerbiten wrote:
If you do go winter camping, make sure you've plenty of books loaded onto a kindle.
You could well end up reading 12 hours a day ......... :lol:

Top tip - in fact i am rather looking forward to doing this.
I too by the way found durhambiker's post somewhat odd.
Some folk like camping, see it as a positive.

Yet another who focused on one word and completely failed to comprehend my post.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

durhambiker wrote:
Sweep wrote:
Tigerbiten wrote:
If you do go winter camping, make sure you've plenty of books loaded onto a kindle.
You could well end up reading 12 hours a day ......... :lol:

Yet another who focused on one word and completely failed to comprehend my post.

And?
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

mattheus wrote:
durhambiker wrote:
Sweep wrote:

And?

?
hoppy58

Post by hoppy58 »

Have a look at the msr elixir 1 (see the review https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/gear/ ... ent-695250 )

I have the elixir 2 which is bigger ( it’s a true 2 person tent), the quality is fantastic and it can be freestanding, if ground conditions are poor. Although not ultra lightweight, it is a reasonable weight and is very rugged and durable.

Re sleeping bags we also have snugpaks, but I would also look at the Alpkit bags (mountain ghost 300 - ok for minus 5c) which are reduced at the moment. We also have the Alpkit airo 120 self- inflating mats which pack down tiny and are super comfy, warm and are plenty long enough if you are not too tall! I think they are about £35, the elixir 1 is about £ 180 and the Alpkit 400 about £79.00, so all well within your budget.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

I'm not sure there is a perfect tent (and almost certainly not sleeping bag) for that wide a range of conditions. For instance I've found my Terra Nova Voyager to be really good for my visits to Scotland (mainly the islands) where it has handled some truly scary high winds very well, but I'm not sure how well it would deal with high snowfall as I suspect snow will not shed that well from the very low angled top surface. Similarly my Phd (lookout for the special deals they often have on non standard bags), has been really good for my mainly Spring and Autumn trips (when it can be pretty chilly), but is too warm in the Summer and is not really warm enough for long winter nights.

What you need probably also depends on where you travel and how. If you are using a camp site or camping at a hostel then the consequences of having a tent pole snap (or worse) may not be great but you can probably get shelter, similarly if you travel with others, you can get help. The same snapped pole when wild camping during a Scottish winter miles from buildings or other shelter will be a totally different sort of adventure!

One thing I'd highly recommend (especially if you plan on touring in the winter), is some sort of chair kit, I have one for my Exped mattress and it has been excellent, especially when the weather is so bad that you need to just sit it out.
horizon

Post by horizon »

I just wanted to pick up on the OP's combining tent and sleeping bag in one thread. I've often thought that tents are getting lighter and sleeping bags heavier. I'm wondering if there is any conceivable trade-off between the two. My worry is that the sleeping bag is place of last resort but you are pretty much confined to it. Oh, for a warm tent.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
ralphyboy

Post by ralphyboy »

I use a Zephyros 1 man tent, Mountain equipment starlite bag on a 3/4 length self inflating mat, but on top of either a standard foam roll mat or an Expedition blow up mat I bought from Blacks.

For cooking I use the Alpkit brew wolf, I thinks that's the name.

My advice would be to shop carefully, listen to experienced users advice but don't break the bank just in case you bloody hate it :D :D
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

horizon wrote:Oh, for a warm tent.

The warmest tent will be small, not too lightweight a fabric, have a solid rather than mesh inner, an outer that reaches the ground all round, and vents that can be closed.
I find an Akto fits, which, though within budget (just about) when I got mine (£230), is now too expensive. For the OP, I'd suggest a Zephyros.

The downside is that the warmer the tent is, the more condensation there will be on the inside of the outer.