Which Bike is best

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
adev86

Which Bike is best

Post by adev86 »

Hi

I am buying a bike this week and was hoping for some advice...

I've compiled a shortlist of 3 suitable bikes within my budget and was hoping someone with more knowledge than me could recommend which of the 3 is the better bike:

Trek DS 2 2019 Hybrid Bike
Specialized Crosstrail Mech Disc 2019 Hybrid Bike
Pinnacle Cobalt 2 2020 Hybrid Bike

Other suggestions welcomed - if the bike can be purchased from Evans Cycles and is less than £500

Many thanks
Andy
Bmblbzzz

Re: Which Bike is best

Post by Bmblbzzz »

The best bike is the bike you're riding right now.

Seriously, I don't know any of those specific models but they're all broadly similar. The one which looks best in your eyes? The one which leaves you most cake money? The one which feels best on a test ride? Seriously, my first answer is serious.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

The question that's always asked (so I will this time!) is why you need a suspension fork, which typically adds a lot of weight, diminishes the spec on other components, and at this price point isn't very effective?

What sort of riding do you anticipate doing?

That'll help us narrow things down for you.
adev86

Post by adev86 »

Hi

Appreciate the responses so far...

I've considered what I need to already and have arrived at these 3 bikes (I want suspension forks) - just need an opinion on these 3 bikes or a recommendation for a similar spec bike that might be better value.

Thanks

Edit:

I think I worded the original post wrongly... what I probably meant to say was..

'If you had to opt for one of the 3 bikes listed ...which would you choose and why?'
pwa

Post by pwa »

Perhaps the best way to choose between them is to go to the shop and sit on them. Find out which fits best. Bikes are like shoes. They have to fit. The distance between the saddle and the bar grips has to be right, for example. If one of those bikes feels more natural when you try it, that will probably be the best for you.
foxychick

Post by foxychick »

Evans do free test rides with no obligation to purchase, you can take each bike out for 20 mins a time, try them out and find out which bike you feel most comfortable on then choose that bike. They also have a scheme where if you do not get on with the bike after a few weeks you can swap it for another model no questions asked, look at the terms and condition though before you commit yourself to a purchase.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

adev86 wrote:Hi

Appreciate the responses so far...

I've considered what I need to already and have arrived at these 3 bikes (I want suspension forks) - just need an opinion on these 3 bikes or a recommendation for a similar spec bike that might be better value.

Thanks

Edit:

I think I worded the original post wrongly... what I probably meant to say was..

'If you had to opt for one of the 3 bikes listed ...which would you choose and why?'

If they all fit your requirements, whatever they are, and shortlisted 3 that suit them, then whichever you fancy tbh.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Go ride them & see which you like better. That's what I would do.

Enjoy your test rides :mrgreen:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

why do you want suspension forks? On a cheap bike they will be well cheap and probably leak after a short time or the stanchions ( the shiney bits) surface wear fast and so leak.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

Since the suspension fork is important, why find find out what type they are and google them to see if there are any reviews or bad reports. That could narrow things down a bit. I'm not sure your budget will automatically get you a decent suspension fork. A good feature is a lock so you can lock out the suspension on roads. (So I'm told).
If they are all equal then investigate the brakes. An extra £100 should get you hydraulic brakes - well worth it in my opinion.
Try riding them if possible.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

The Specialized Crosstrail (on your list of 3) I purchased in 2009 has proved a good buy.

I don't particularly like the look of it (excessively sloping top tube) but it's done over 20,000 miles in the last 10 years without problem.

I changed out the suspension forks for rigid and fitted quasi dropped handlebars a few years ago. Did it make much difference? Not really. The original cheap suspension forks were actually surprisingly comfortable and I do occasionally miss them!

The only original parts remaining from the 2009 purchase are the frame, front derailleur and a couple of headset spacers I think. Not quite Triggers broom.

You're better off just buying what floats your boat!!

crosstrail 1.jpg

crosstrail 2.jpg
AndyA

Post by AndyA »

Bmblbzzz wrote:The best bike is the bike you're riding right now.

Seriously, I don't know any of those specific models but they're all broadly similar. The one which looks best in your eyes? The one which leaves you most cake money? The one which feels best on a test ride? Seriously, my first answer is serious.

Reminds me of my Dad's saying about beer - "The beer in your hand is the best in the land"