Accomodation booked, one last look at route?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
geocycle

Re: Accomodation booked, one last look at route?

Post by geocycle »

plumby wrote:
Thank you for your comments about the A6. The general consensus is that the A6 is fine from Penrith to Kendal then? That's what i've changed my route to.

After Kendal to Carnforth - i've followed your route CyclerUK you provided on RWGPS. What is the A65/A6070 like out of interest from Kendal to Carnforth?

!?

The A6070 is fine, especially after Burton in Kendal. That first part of the A65 is usually ok, just don’t go anywhere near the Kendal bypass. The NCR 6 south of Kendal is nice but undulating through the drumlin field.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

plumby wrote:CyclerUK and Mick F - I'm going to make the changes you suggest, thank you for your input!! Who's Day 10 shall I incorporate? Which one is 'better' if that's not too vague/stupid a question!?
Better?
Gordon only knows! :D
Which route do you prefer?

Considering you are at Boscastle.
Dunno why you would be there as it's not the best place to call at on a Jogle due to the hills etc.

Boscastle to LE in my opinion, but I'm a bit fast and furious:
Boscastle to Camelford B3266
A39 to Wadebridge and either through the town and up the long hill, or stay on the A39 over the main road bridge. Easier as it's on the "level" if that's available in Cornwall.
Peel off through St Columb Major, White Cross, St Newlyn East.
Then a tad on the A30 and through Zelah.

You could work your way west over to the A3075 from St Newlyn East via the B3285 and head south through Goonhavern and then join the Old A30 at Three Burrows which will take you into Redruth.

Go past the station and down the hill, then right at the bottom at the traffic lights. Then Camborne and Connor Downs to the roundabout just east of Hayle. Do not go through Angarrack as it's very very steep!

Go through the Hayle town centre.
You can go A30 to Penzance ....... no big deal ............ but perhaps a nicer way is to find St Erth and Gwallon to Marazion, then old roads and maybe cross A30 roundabouts into Penzance.

Through the town, then out to the A30 for LE.
Mick F. Cornwall
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

geocycle wrote:
plumby wrote:After Kendal to Carnforth - i've followed your route CyclerUK you provided on RWGPS. What is the A65/A6070 like out of interest from Kendal to Carnforth?

The A6070 is fine, especially after Burton in Kendal. That first part of the A65 is usually ok, just don’t go anywhere near the Kendal bypass. The NCR 6 south of Kendal is nice but undulating through the drumlin field.

There is a cycle path runs alongside the A65 for a bit.
Personally I would prefer not to use the A65 - which is why I use the Sedgwick/Hincaster route.
+1 As above don't use NCR6 section or Kendal bypass A590/A591.
A6070 is a fairly quiet road but you do get the odd lorry on it because there is a quarry off it.

( Do you know about using the "little yellow man" on the map to view road surfaces etc ? )
You'll never know if you don't try it.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Paulatic wrote:
charliepolecat wrote:A question I need to ask is how are all of the riders coping with leaving their bikes outside shops and cafes? Any problems?

Ken.

I’ve studied this one for quite sometime. :D
1,Initially it depends on where you usually live and ride has bearing on your own attitude.
2, Secondly it depends on your location when parking.

Perhaps we should ask how many people have had their bikes stolen on a LEJOG? To which I could honestly answer I’ve never met anyone on the route who’ve had their bike stolen. :lol:

I would say that any such consideration should be based on two criteria.
1. How likely is it to happen.
2. What are the consequences if it does happen.
Having your bike stolen on LEJOG
1. Unlikely
2. Very expensive and most probably end of ride.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Day 8 - Gloucester to Taunton.

At the end of Berwick Lane just after mile 41 go straight across into Moorhouse Lane then Package Road then Poplar Way East and turn left at roundabout onto Merebank then turn left onto Kings Weston Lane, then shortly after into Access 18 and follow the road as it turns left then right and then carry straight on and onto the new cyclepath to Avonmouth Way then virtually straight across the road to the bakery and onto the subway under the motorway and then follow the path to B4054 and then the M5 Avonmouth Bridge. That section is approx 3 miles.
Follow your route into Yatton then at the station pick up the Strawberry Line to Sandford and onwards to Axbridge.

if you can access this from Komoot then it shows the ride I've mentioned above from the roundabout at Merebank to Avonmouth Bridge.

https://www.komoot.com/tour/78232228#previewMap
plumby

Post by plumby »

Thanks again everyone. Some specific queries:

Whoof/MF – I couldn’t work out how to get from the end of Sandy Lane to Bucketts Hill without going back on myself? So I chose Park Rd>Clinton Rd to get to Bucketts Hill. Any good?
Also I have stayed on the coastal road and taken the route down to Mousehole (what a fantastic name!) but then I got lost as you referenced the B3280 but I can’t find that so I routed the B3315 over to St Buryan instead. Can you have another look at my route?:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30206724

Thanks again re: Kendal. Definitely going to go via Hincaster. I’ve changed my route through Kendal as I was previously on cycle paths whereas the road through the town itself seems fairly innocent.

Redvee: I think I’ve followed your route. Going ‘into’ Access 18 threw me as I couldn’t find a path out of it. I signed into Komoot but it just showed a blank map with a blue line. So I got this:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30513585
whoof

Post by whoof »

plumby wrote:Thanks again everyone. Some specific queries:

Whoof/MF – I couldn’t work out how to get from the end of Sandy Lane to Bucketts Hill without going back on myself? So I chose Park Rd>Clinton Rd to get to Bucketts Hill. Any good?
Also I have stayed on the coastal road and taken the route down to Mousehole (what a fantastic name!) but then I got lost as you referenced the B3280 but I can’t find that so I routed the B3315 over to St Buryan instead. Can you have another look at my route?:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30206724

Thanks again re: Kendal. Definitely going to go via Hincaster. I’ve changed my route through Kendal as I was previously on cycle paths whereas the road through the town itself seems fairly innocent.

Redvee: I think I’ve followed your route. Going ‘into’ Access 18 threw me as I couldn’t find a path out of it. I signed into Komoot but it just showed a blank map with a blue line. So I got this:

Your route to Four Lanes looks fine. I've always done the route below. It's mainly historical as Sandy Lane used to be a small lane and therefore quieter. Your route is more direct mine's a little quieter from the B3300 to the B3297 but there shouldn't be a great deal of traffic on the B3297.
sandy.jpg

That was the route I suggest to St Buryan probably didn't describe it very well.
BTW Mousehole is pronounce Mow(like cow with an M)zull.
whoof

Post by whoof »

BTW There is a hill out of Mousehole it's not long and I can still go up it OK on 39/25 you also get the see the harbour and when you get to the top take time to look out towards the Lizard, great views.

Slide2.JPG
Attachments
Slide3.JPG
Ron

Post by Ron »

Day 2 around the 44 mile point your route takes a loop south of the A9 which includes a free wheel down to the sea followed by a stiff climb up to the bridge.
Suggest you discard the loop and follow the direct joint user path running tight along the south side of the A9, this is gradient free.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

If you can fit in the level of detail into a north to south 10 day ride I'm envious!

When do you leave?

Hope you have fair winds into the faces of organised tours!

Keep us informed.

Cheers James
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Hope you have fair winds into the faces of organised tours!

Huh? :?
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

plumby wrote:Redvee: I think I’ve followed your route. Going ‘into’ Access 18 threw me as I couldn’t find a path out of it. I signed into Komoot but it just showed a blank map with a blue line. So I got this:

There is a road out of Access 18 as well as the very new cyclepath which explains why it isn't showing on any maps yet, apparently it was only finished at the end of last month. The road from Access 18 to Avonmouth Way says Private Road and has a gate/barrier at Avonmouth Way but the pedestrian gate has always been open when I've used it and I've never been stopped by any security patrol either.

I've remembered my RWGPS log in and created this:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30540538

And this for the ride from Yatton to Axbridge.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30540553
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

whoof wrote:BTW Mousehole is pronounce Mow(like cow with an M)zull.
You beat me to it! :D

Loads of name of places are pronounced wrongly by visitors.
St Ives for instance.
It's not Saint Ives, but Sen-ives.

There's a St Ive on the A390 west of here. Strangers call it Saint Ive, whereas it's pronounced Sen-eve.
Mick F. Cornwall
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

A lot of them in Ireland as well, Mick.
Mallow is MALLow, Youghal is yawl. Eyeries is eye-REEZ. Kinsale is KinSALE. Cahir is Care Cobh is Cove

It's the small places that are most difficult.

Stuake near Cork is STOO-ik. Aghabullogue is Ahah-Bullug, the ull to rhyme with bulb. Meelin is MWEELing
The hardest is Finugue. Is pronounced locally as FyunOOig.

I've cycled through Leominister a few times... Lemster!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol:
What about Shrewsbury?
Even the people who live there can't agree.
Shrews-bury or Shows-bury?

Talking of Mousehole, a must read, is The Mousehole Cat. Brilliantly illustrated and brilliantly written.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mousehole_Cat
Mick F. Cornwall