Bike for complete beginner

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
AlexMiller

Bike for complete beginner

Post by AlexMiller »

I'm looking for a bike for an adult complete beginner, who's not yet too steady on a bike. Tips on what to consider?

To be clear, this is not a post about someone who knows casual biking and is a beginner in road biking, mtb or the like.

Many thanks
simonhill

Re: Bike for complete beginner

Post by simonhill »

You could try seeing if there is a local bike recycle centre near to him. They are charities that take old bikes and do them up for sale. You can usually get pretty good advice as well.

Otherwise and without knowing your budget, I would think a trip to somewhere like Decathalon or even Halfords for a browse and a chat.

Also, remember that a rank beginner will quickly become experienced so don't aim too low.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Most people would probably head for a flat-barred hybrid.

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-ne ... e-EV339931 - road-oriented

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-li ... e-EV339938 - slightly more for offroad, though the above is still fine on towpaths in reality

try to avoid knobbly tyres, and suspension forks
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

thelawnet wrote:+1
try to avoid knobbly tyres, and suspension forks
Knobbly tires can make it feel like you're riding through sand and suspension forks add weight/maintenance for no benefit unless you are doing off road stuff. The late Sheldon Brown, to some the guru's guru on cycling matters, maintained that tread on a road tyre is no use.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
David9694

Post by David9694 »

How much do you want to pay, where / when do you want to ride? London, Peak District or Fens?
Light, strong, cheap - pick any two.

These are some of the standard bike buyer questions.

The Pinnacle Neon 2 2020 Hybrid looks a decent choice - flat bars if you only want to road ride for up to 60-90 minutes - most people want to be able to change positions a bit after that. The bar ends will help. Changing over to drop bars is prohibitive.

The Alu frame manages to be light, strong and cheap, and you’ve got a decent spread of gears. There are hub gear systems if you are feeling more conservative.

You’ve got the potential for mudguards. Do you want a rear carrier?

The handlebar stem can be swapped out for shorter or longer if necessary. Give yourself time to get used to the saddle. Looks like a nice long seat post - you may find you want to raise the saddle as you improve.

With any new bike, things “bed in”, in the first couple of weeks: things come loose, gear cables stretch a tiny bit which can throw your gears out, so an adjustment may be needed there.

You probably want to budget for a lock, a pump and maybe a few tools/ a multi tool.

To carry the above I like my SKS saddlebag because it’s easy to put on / remove: e.g. https://www.tredz.co.uk/.SKS-Tour-Bag-L ... _69778.htm
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

OP was last active 6 minutes after initial post, as often happens.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Bonefishblues wrote:OP was last active 6 minutes after initial post, as often happens.

Perhaps people think they will get an instant answer, get bored when they don’t and then never return?
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

TrevA wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:OP was last active 6 minutes after initial post, as often happens.

Perhaps people think they will get an instant answer, get bored when they don’t and then never return?

I guess almost by definition, we'll never know!
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

It's what I call the Google effect. As said, they post and expect an instant answer. It's one reason I like to go back with questions or seeking clarification. Many of these posts just end up as regularly repetive internal discussions.

Can anyone AI Brucey?
freiston

Post by freiston »

Don't forget that they could be reading replies without logging in.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

AlexMiller wrote:I'm looking for a bike for an adult complete beginner, who's not yet too steady on a bike. Tips on what to consider?

To be clear, this is not a post about someone who knows casual biking and is a beginner in road biking, mtb or the like.

Many thanks

Again a question with no budget mentioned, £100 or £5000 ?
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

freiston wrote:

Don't forget that they could be reading replies without logging in.

At least they could say, as is courteous when you receive an answer I ALWAYS say thank you
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more
gaz

Post by gaz »

AlexMiller wrote:I'm looking for a bike for an adult complete beginner, who's not yet too steady on a bike. Tips on what to consider?

1. Adult cycle training. Your local authority may offer this either free or at a small cost, bike hire may be available.
2. Look for somewhere you can hire/try out a number of different bikes in a safe environment.
3. If you find you enjoy cycling and wish to do more you might change your mind about the right bike. Don’t worry, N+1 always applies.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
David9694

Post by David9694 »

Hi Alex (OP)

Any thoughts? What did you decide to go for?
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.