returing a bike from Natherlands

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Miranda123

returing a bike from Natherlands

Post by Miranda123 »

Am cycling to the Netherlands but wish to return by Eurostar . Am considering sending my bike separately as seems rather complicated getting on the train. Any advice / recommendations wrt shipping or travelling with my bike ?
st599_uk

Re: returing a bike from Natherlands

Post by st599_uk »

Is the Eurostar from Amsterdam a through service yet?

Last time I traveled that way, the UK government were insisting that everyone got off the train at Brussels to go through another passport check. The time taken for UK Border Force to undertake this was longer than the train was scheduled to stop at the station, so you had to take all your baggage with you as the train would leave without most of its passengers.

Much easier to cycle to Hoek van Holland and get the ferry. You're in London by 9am ish.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Miranda123

Post by Miranda123 »

thank you that's very helpful - its not a through service
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

As a general rule, sending a bike to/from overseas is much more expensive than accompanying it.

There are regular posts asking about it, but I have never seen a reasonably priced option.
georgianights

Post by georgianights »

Hey Miranda

I'm also looking to cycle from London to Amsterdam next month and was wondering the same thing. It sounds like cycling back and getting the ferry again is the best option.

Are you going with a tour group or going it alone and riding with your stuff?

I'm currently going it alone so searching for any tips!
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Have you actually contacted Eurostar and asked what the situation is or have you just read up on it? Have you an absolute on separate passport checks between services and timings to do that?
Seems like it's more of a ball-ache to send the bike separately when you're so close to home and sacrificing the journey on Eurostar over that which rather seems to defeat the object somewhat.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Amsterdam to The Hague is a simple train ride of less than an hour, then it's only a 12 mile or so cycle to the hook.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Hey Miranda

I'm also looking to cycle from London to Amsterdam next month and was wondering the same thing. It sounds like cycling back and getting the ferry again is the best option.

Are you going with a tour group or going it alone and riding with your stuff?

I'm currently going it alone so searching for any tips!

Lots of previous threads on here if you use the search facility, mainly in Touring and Exedition. But in brief, cycling in the Netherlands is great. Lots of campsites - minicampings or Camping bij de Boer (camping on the farm) or Natuurkampeerterreinen Nederland are all good 'chains' of campsites suitable for cyclists. It's a flat but fascinating country, with friendly and helpful people. The cycling infrastructure is great, and there's a really good navigation system, the 'knooppunten' routes. The coastal route north from Hoek van Holland is lovely.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
atlas_shrugged

Post by atlas_shrugged »

If you want to have a perfect day then cycle from Amsterdam to Hook of Holland then take the ferry. The Lf1a/b is your friend here, there is a camp site on the way if needed. The Lf is an off road coastal cycle route and you will weave in and out of sand dunes - lovely.

Navigation is easy because of the NL cycle map system with info signs at each node (interchange) that you get to. Near to Amsterdam navigation is more tricky but you can make it easy by choosing a river or canal to follow (select one in advance of your journey).

There are some downsides: 1) Clean your chain/gears after as it may be a bit sandy. 2) You will forever hate the bad UK cycling infrastructure and constantly berate local planners/councillors/MPs about how bad the UK is compared to NL.
mjr

Post by mjr »

iandriver wrote:Amsterdam to The Hague is a simple train ride of less than an hour, then it's only a 12 mile or so cycle to the hook.

I think currently 13-14 miles due to building work (as of last week), but still not far or particularly difficult to follow: just follow the signs. Riding through the middle of their houses of parliament (binnenhof) is also something to do and dream of doing it in the UK!

As others have said, the contrast between riding to the Hook and riding from Harwich is stark. Route 51 through Harwich is basically one long "screw you, cycling scum" from Essex County Council starting with a high kerb at the port exit roundabout.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Jdsk

Returning a bike from the Netherlands

Post by Jdsk »

We've just done this after cycling down the Rhine. Needed to get the bikes and two of us back to Oxfordshire.

There isn't a car rental office at Harwich, but Thrifty will drive up from Colchester and take you back there.

OK in theory but:
1 They can't get there until 0930 in the morning and the ferry arrived at 0630.
2 They were totally inefficient at arranging this.
3 And at communicating.
4 And in selecting appropriate vehicles. So the front wheels came off for the trip to Colchester. And then we ended up with a Discovery for the trip home. But they provided that at the price of a smaller "SUV".

That avoided the ride to Manningtree, waiting for the first train on which bikes are allowed into London, the trip across London and the coach or train to Oxford or Thame.

Mixed feelings, but it was probably the quickest way home.

Jonathan
The utility cyclist

Re: Returning a bike from the Netherlands

Post by The utility cyclist »

Jdsk wrote:We've just done this after cycling down the Rhine. Needed to get the bikes and two of us back to Oxfordshire.

There isn't a car rental office at Harwich, but Thrifty will drive up from Colchester and take you back there.

OK in theory but:
1 They can't get there until 0930 in the morning and the ferry arrived at 0630.
2 They were totally inefficient at arranging this.
3 And at communicating.
4 And in selecting appropriate vehicles. So the front wheels came off for the trip to Colchester. And then we ended up with a Discovery for the trip home. But they provided that at the price of a smaller "SUV".

That avoided the ride to Manningtree, waiting for the first train on which bikes are allowed into London, the trip across London and the coach or train to Oxford or Thame.

Mixed feelings, but it was probably the quickest way home.

Jonathan

How much did that cost you for the return leg from Harwich to Oxford including fuel?
The whole getting from East to West and vice versa by train through East Anglia toward the centre of England is a real PITA, even for me in North Herts just to get the 37 miles to nr Tring it's a 2+hour journey into London out of London and a lot more cash than simply driving.

There was a rail route pre Beeching, Harwich to Cambridge via Bury St.Edmunds and then Cambridge to Oxford via Gamlingay/SandyBletchley and Bedford, the latter as part of the old London and NorthWestern line that can still be seen on satellite maps
Jdsk

Returning a bike from the Netherlands

Post by Jdsk »

Roughly £150 for the rental and £10 for the fuel.

The rental period was extended to 1040 the next morning because of the delay in getting going, so that would take you just about anywhere in the UK.

That's a one-way rental. And we have independent insurance so no shovelled on extras.

Jonathan