Cycle to work scheme - using someone else's?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
newcyclist19

Cycle to work scheme - using someone else's?

Post by newcyclist19 »

I would really like to use the cycle to work scheme but my employer has not signed up. However, my brother's employer is signed up to it and my brother has no interest in taking it up. Does anyone know if I would be able to (unofficially) use his scheme to get a bike? I imagine this is 'not allowed' but is there anything in place to actually stop this from happening? Thanks
robgul

Re: Cycle to work scheme - using someone else's?

Post by robgul »

Given that the scheme relates to income tax savings then "personation" would probably be classed as fraud by HMRC.

As you surmise there is nothing in place to stop your brother "lending" you the bike on a long-term basis - but if your brother is rumbled doing it then his employment might be in jeopardy.

.... the same sort of issue arises when two bikes with a total value inside the value limit are bought on the same voucher :wink:

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Buy a pair of bolt croppers, select a decent bike locked up in town and it'll be yours for a minimum of effort and cost
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

gbnz wrote:Buy a pair of bolt croppers, select a decent bike locked up in town and it'll be yours for a minimum of effort and cost

Clearly marked as irony, 'humour'?

What would be the problem if one bought two or three bikes?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

The bike is technically owned by your brothers employer and you "hire" it until final payment is made saving on tax.Probably fraud but then 99% of CTW bikes aren't used to cycle to work either :lol:

It used to be one bike per voucher and the employer could ask for the bike or a small lump sum(current value of bike less "hire" charged) at the end of the "hire" period.Not many do/did though.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Right again I fear, 100%
Just like the scrapping cash payment for old cars, just trying to sell more bikes :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
gbnz wrote:Buy a pair of bolt croppers, select a decent bike locked up in town and it'll be yours for a minimum of effort and cost

Clearly marked as irony, 'humour'?

I'd interpret it as "if you want to get hold of a cheap bike illegally, the simple method has the advantage of not leaving your brother's fingerprints all over the deed"
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

As others have said, getting a bike on your brother's scheme is probably fraudulent.

However, in my experience, there are no checks that a C2W bike is actually used as such, and I suspect that a lot of people don't use them for this purpose. Also, you could decide you're not upset by the ethics of it, given that the bike will (somewhat unusually) be used for actually cycling to work.
robgul

Post by robgul »

.... one other thought - should your brother change his employment (of his own accord!) then he would be liable to pay off the outstanding amount (normally as a final salary deduction) in one hit.

Rob
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

robgul wrote:.... one other thought - should your brother change his employment (of his own accord!) then he would be liable to pay off the outstanding amount (normally as a final salary deduction) in one hit.

Rob

Indeed.

In summary, it could be done, depending on your personal ethics and your relationship with your brother, but it really shouldn't.
PH

Post by PH »

robgul wrote:.... one other thought - should your brother change his employment (of his own accord!) then he would be liable to pay off the outstanding amount (normally as a final salary deduction) in one hit.

Rob

Yes, and in case it isn't clear from what Rob is saying, that loses the tax benefit on the outstanding amount, you can't sacrifice salary you're not going to earn. I know someone made redundant two months into a C2W scheme and they ended up paying more for the bike than if they'd bought with cash in the first place.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

PH wrote:

Rob

Yes, and in case it isn't clear from what Rob is saying, that loses the tax benefit on the outstanding amount, you can't sacrifice salary you're not going to earn. I know someone made redundant two months into a C2W scheme and they ended up paying more for the bike than if they'd bought with cash in the first place.

Good point
robgul

Post by robgul »

Bonefishblues wrote:
PH wrote:

Rob

Good point

I meant to mention the tax issue on the salary you don't get .... although I think there are some provisions in the event of redundancy.

Rob