OK to drive with your tailgate open?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
David9694

OK to drive with your tailgate open?

Post by David9694 »

Met this morning at lot of riders on the Epic route of today’s New Forest sportive. Toastey. I also met a white car, tailgate up and as I glanced back I could see a guy sat in the back facing backwards - I can’t swear to this but I think he was photographing the riders. I didn’t see a supply of water being offered, which would have been helpful. The website offers videos as well as the usual roadside still photo taken near the top of the toughest climb of the day.
https://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/event ... -sportive/

Is is legal to drive with a rear door open? I don’t especially like meeting the sportives when I’m out, not that I don’t like to greet fellow cyclists, but the likelihood is increased of a following driver who has gotten impatient and now doesn’t care about overtaking on blind summits or bends.

Whatever white hatchback was doing (this was on a narrow country road, but there’d be as much of a problem on other stretches where there are more cars about) and whether he was in any way attached to the sportive, this seemed to create a hazard none of us needed.

Finally let’s hope that the New Forest carpet tack wielding troglodyte, whom they don’t ever seem to have caught, says in his cave this weekend.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
tim-b

Re: OK to drive with your tailgate open?

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Is is legal to drive with a rear door open?

Provided that it doesn't project too far without being suitably marked
Provided that it doesn't obscure the lights/reflectors/registration mark
Provided that the occupants don't mind breathing exhaust gases that are inevitably drawn in by eddy currents
Regulation 100 of The Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986... "the manner in which any passengers are carried...shall at all times be such, that no danger is caused or is likely to be caused to any person in or on the vehicle"
Provided that they don't object to their insurer refusing to pay for their injuries should the worst happen
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

tim-b wrote:Hi
Is is legal to drive with a rear door open?

Provided that it doesn't project too far without being suitably marked
Provided that it doesn't obscure the lights/reflectors/registration mark
Provided that the occupants don't mind breathing exhaust gases that are inevitably drawn in by eddy currents
Regulation 100 of The Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986... "the manner in which any passengers are carried...shall at all times be such, that no danger is caused or is likely to be caused to any person in or on the vehicle"
Provided that they don't object to their insurer refusing to pay for their injuries should the worst happen
Regards
tim-b

Seat belt??
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

... and if they are official, shouldn't they be wearing a helmet 15 years out of date?
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Seat belt??

I'm assuming that there isn't a seat. If there is a seat then it needs to have a seat belt fitted before you have to wear it
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Might be legal under some circumstances but - an open boot or tailgate can draw exhaust fumes into the vehicle, so beware.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
rob_wales

Post by rob_wales »

Recently I ALWAYS drive with my tailgate open. I have one of the new Polo GTIs. For some reason VW don't put a Polo badge on the back, just a GTI badge. It's probably to make other drivers think it's a Golf. The problem is I have never had so many BMW drivers tailgating me (normally 1 car length at 60mph) to see what the car is. So by driving with the gate open they can't see the lack of the Polo badge and they leave at least 1.5 car lengths at 60mph.

I'm really good at fixing complex problems like that. :D