What do you think of this multi-tool?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bazzo

Re: What do you think of this multi-tool?

Post by bazzo »

Looks good to me, even the best mechanic is stuffed without tools.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Looks like a collection of tools in a box. I’ve few old tools in an old sock don’t rattle and no particular order of putting them back.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I've got it. But bad. The tools are small and neat. Very well made for what they are. Tyre levers are flimsy but somehow doesn't fall when other stronger/stiffer levers snapped. It has some extras like valve caps of all things. That's a bit annoying as it makes it a pain to put everything back in. It has inserts that holds bits in. Very compact and very neatly put together.

I've not trusted its closure to leave it attached to the frame yet. I like it though.
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

I'm happy with mine, too, though I've never found the valve caps! I have used it mounted to the bike without problems.

I particularly like that it includes space for extras like quick links, chain rivets and valve cores.

My problem with it is that I'm not sure of its niche. I don't like to use it on a road bike; it's not pretty if strapped to the frame, it's too big for a minimal saddle bag and a bit heavy for a jersey pocket. If riding with luggage, I'm more likely to carry some full-size tools rather than this. So it tends to be used at home when I don't have full size tools around for whatever reason.

I bought mine from Evans, but used the price match to get a better price.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

My favourite is the MT ZOOM tool. It is a chain splitter with the most usefull allen keys and some spanners and spoke keys.
MT ZOOM 12 function Multi Tool Allen Keys Chain breaker Spoke Key Screwdriver - £12.49 Very compact. I like it - I have bought 5.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

to me it's over priced for what you're getting but if it has all the tools you want and none of them that will sit in a drawer never being used then go for it. I would just try hunt to find it cheaper.

I bought a tool set once, from LIDL of all places over 12 years ago, £15 for it and I still use the allen keys, cone spanners, pedal wrench, headset wrench, 8mm/1/4 tool and bottom bracket tools (one std Shimano/one older lockring type). The rest I sold on and bought tools that I needed.

I do have a mini tool and it's a Topeak MIni 18 and along with my Gerber 'cool tool' is all I need when touring.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

The utility cyclist wrote:

to me it's over priced for what you're getting.

That was my initial reaction, but I'm not sure if i could put it together cheaper for the same quality. I really like the allen keys with different sizes at different ends - that seems to be the heart of it. If i could find this elsewhere then i would probably put the rest together with the 'best of' for the other tools: different tyre levers, wheel specific allen key, etc

I think i would also prefer a soft pouch to hard plastic case as this would probably pack easier

Anyone know where i can get the allen keys? And maybe the small chain spliiter, although i would probably take this off an old multi- tool
pwa

Post by pwa »

If you actually carry this around, rather than using it at home, just be careful to put everything back in the box after use. Topeak are generally pretty good at portable tools.
robgul

Post by robgul »

If you fancy one I have TWO for sale * (long story!) both complete and in good condition - and have another one fitted on one of my bikes. Pretty compact and IMHO perfectly functional.

* £10 + postage - please PM if interested

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

robgul wrote:If you fancy one I have TWO for sale * (long story!) both complete and in good condition - and have another one fitted on one of my bikes. Pretty compact and IMHO perfectly functional.

* £10 + postage - please PM if interested

Rob

PM'd
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Do you pay full price for anything? Why?

Bought cheap on spur of the moment. My multi tool before that consisted of adjustable spanner, cheap set of v Allen keys minus the ones I didn't need, tyre levers and a topeak chain splitter. At one time I carried a bottom bracket tool thing as well for some random reason and a spoke key. Don't know why.

Anyway, I've used most of the tools since getting it. They work and feel nice to use despite small size.
mjr

Post by mjr »

mnichols wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:

to me it's over priced for what you're getting.

That was my initial reaction, but I'm not sure if i could put it together cheaper for the same quality. I really like the allen keys with different sizes at different ends - that seems to be the heart of it. If i could find this elsewhere then i would probably put the rest together with the 'best of' for the other tools: different tyre levers, wheel specific allen key, etc

I think i would also prefer a soft pouch to hard plastic case as this would probably pack easier

Anyone know where i can get the allen keys? And maybe the small chain spliiter, although i would probably take this off an old multi- tool

I'm the same view: looks OK but similar price to my toolkit and a hard case instead of soft. If assembling my kit again, I'd probably go for a Topeak Super Tool (=a chain tool and 5+6mm allen keys), a ¼" square driver, hex sockets as needed, hex bit socket, hex bits as needed, 4" adjustable wrench, levers and patches and a brush roll to keep it all in.

For ready-to-use kits, Topeak's Ratchet Rocket at £24 looks a good way to get a case holding 2-6mm hex bits, a ph2, a torx t25, a chain tool and a couple of levers (one of which looks like it has a 8mm hex socket in, in case you need to quickly undo a nut). I'd probably replace the t25 with a ¼" square and add my 10mm (brakes/tugs), 12mm (pedals) and 14mm (cranks) sockets.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
slowster

Post by slowster »

mnichols wrote:I really like the allen keys with different sizes at different ends - that seems to be the heart of it.

Having the same size at both ends of an L shaped allen key allows the user to get a decent amount of torque using the long handle. In that respect I note that what looks like the 5mm head is at the long end of the 4mm/5mm key, despite a 5mm allen bolt typically requiring more torque than a 4mm one.

Double ended keys also pretty much ensure that you can use them on awkwardly placed or hard to reach fasteners: if the bolt is deeply recessed, e.g. in a brake lever, then use the long part, and conversely if another part of the bike in the way makes it impossible to insert the long end, you can usually insert the short end instead.

The whole thing looks like a modern reincarnation of the rubbishy old Mafac mini toolkit. The spoke key design in particular looks awful, since the flat pressed metal design will only grip very a small part of the nipple compared with a proper spoke key. If you need to remove or tension a spoke in the field, then it's much more likely that the nipple will be harder to move on an old wheel that's been ridden in rain and on salty roads, than on a newly built wheel, so I think that for in the field use ideally you want a spoke tool that provides similar grip to the tool that you would use to build a wheel at home.

mnichols wrote:I'm not sure if i could put it together cheaper for the same quality.

I think you could put together cheaper for much better quality. Wiggle are currently selling the Topeak Hexus for only £12.99, which I think is a much better tool and a bargain at that price. Otherwise if you want separate tools, then I would buy some good quality allen keys, a Spokey and a Park CT5 or Topeak Super Chain Breaker tool, plus your own choice of tyre levers.
mjr

Post by mjr »

slowster wrote:Double ended keys also pretty much ensure that you can use them on awkwardly placed or hard to reach fasteners: if the bolt is deeply recessed, e.g. in a brake lever, then use the long part, and conversely if another part of the bike in the way makes it impossible to insert the long end, you can usually insert the short end instead.

[...] Wiggle are currently selling the Topeak Hexus

Which is even worse, with a bulky tool body that often makes it impossible to get the tool end snugly in some fasteners and the tools are too short to grip well if you take them off in desperation. Flick-knife-style multi tools are only good if you are sure your bike allows such bulky tools access, else you'll be walking to home/shop.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.