** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
stu1102

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by stu1102 »

Sir Paul Maxime Nurse FRS FMedSci HonFREng HonFBA MAE, is an English geneticist, former President of the Royal Society and Chief Executive and Director of the Francis Crick Institute. He was awarded the 2001 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine along with Leland Hartwell and Tim Hunt for their discoveries of protein molecules that control the division of cells in the cell cycle.

Roger Helmer a former MEP for the East Midlands indicated on his Twitter account:
Prof Paul Nurse is saying that scientists see Brexit as “turning our backs not just on Europe, but on the world”. He fears loss of funding and of visiting experts. He is exactly and diametrically wrong. As my old Mother used to say, “You intelligent people have no Common Sense”.

Prof Nurse is correct . UK groups lead 60% fewer research consortia, British collaborators are now often regarded as risk factors in a proposal rather than an asset the drop in medical research collaborative groups EU and UK has been dramatic since Brexit vote
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

Cunobelin wrote:...

Was that "Google Translate"?

Do you really think that refusing to reveal the sponsors, refusing to register as a political party to avoid scrutiny or have a manifesto is a safe an acceptable way forward for politics

I have some good news for you on at least one of those points.

I agree a manifesto would also be nice, especially if it was worth the electrons it was written with... admittedly a high bar in UK politics.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I've posted this question a few times now on this thread to no avail,but I'll again to give Brexit supporters another chance to change my mind on what I see as a disasterous road the UK is about embark on.
Can someone please give me some sound positive reasons for leaving,by positives I mean specifics that mean the UK will benefit in the short to medium term,medium term being within 5 to 7 years?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

reohn2 wrote:I've posted this question a few times now on this thread to no avail,but I'll again to give Brexit supporters another chance to change my mind on what I see as a disasterous road the UK is about embark on.
Can someone please give me some sound positive reasons for leaving,by positives I mean specifics that mean the UK will benefit in the short to medium term,medium term being within 5 to 7 years?

It might cure us of our empire/WWII fantasies, once and for all. Though it'll be a painful process.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cunobelin wrote:
windmiller wrote:Yeah that J K Rowling is a staunch remainer, enough said.

Which is ironic

A remainer who has created a fantasy universe as opposed to supporters of brexit who are still creating their fantasy universe with about as much connection to reality
I must confess, I was utterly baffled by the non-sequitur of WM's post referring to JKR. "Enough" not said indeed! (but no need to elaborate WM if you're reading this!).

Perhaps someone somewhere has been 'got at' by those Dementor* chappies.

*Yeah I read most of the genre. Didn't find them terribly enlightening...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

bovlomov wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I've posted this question a few times now on this thread to no avail,but I'll again to give Brexit supporters another chance to change my mind on what I see as a disasterous road the UK is about embark on.

It might cure us of our empire/WWII fantasies, once and for all. Though it'll be a painful process.

Have you not noticed that it is only remainers who imagine and mention these fantasies. I take it that you are not a fanatical revisionist who looks back on the British Empire and the defeat of yet another of those European mainland based tyrannies ( there have been a few of those) as mere fantasy.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

windmiller wrote:
bovlomov wrote:It might cure us of our empire/WWII fantasies, once and for all. Though it'll be a painful process.

Have you not noticed that it is only remainers who imagine and mention these fantasies. I take it that you are not a fanatical revisionist who looks back on the British Empire and the defeat of yet another of those European mainland based tyrannies ( there have been a few of those) as mere fantasy.

I guess you haven't heard Francois or Farage then, continually boring on about Dunkirk and WWII, as if they had anything to do with it. I call them fantasies because that's exactly what they are: a childish, comic book version of history that the people who did experience it wouldn't have recognised.

It is those people that did experience war who built the subsequent peace in Europe. It is some of their children who, inferiority complex written all over them, are doing their best to destroy it. Will you be fighting on the beaches with Francois (he'll be the one at the rear).
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

First it was the Spanish backed by the Pope, then Napoleon but he ended up after Waterloo mouldering away on St Helena, then it was the Kaiser, then Adolph, the latest attempted Empire has also been a failure... :lol:

Boris is the joker! Who knows what will happen now :?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
andrec

Post by andrec »

We often get calls from Remainers for Leavers to explain themselves. Their tone reminds me of when my headmaster asked me to explain myself for some schoolboy misdeed. The difference was of course that if I failed to come up with a reasonable explanation for my puerile pranks I could expect to be chastised and be required to make amends in some way, whereas Remainers are impotent when it comes to demanding that Leavers mend their ways. I feel it is always better to limit demands for explanation to situations where you have power and authority over those you interrogate. But anyway, here is my good reason for Brexit. We will rejoin the majority of nations in the world who make all their own laws in their domestic parliaments, and leave the small number of nations who don't. Secondly, leaving the EU will allow us to offer immigration to all the people of the world on an equal basis, rather than giving preferential access to the UK to people from EU countries. This is discriminatory, and as the EU is mainly populated by white people and the rest of the world isn't it can be viewed as racist too.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

andrec wrote:

We often get calls from Remainers for Leavers to explain themselves. Their tone reminds me of when my headmaster asked me to explain myself for some schoolboy misdeed. The difference was of course that if I failed to come up with a reasonable explanation for my puerile pranks I could expect to be chastised and be required to make amends in some way, whereas Remainers are impotent when it comes to demanding that Leavers mend their ways. I feel it is always better to limit demands for explanation to situations where you have power and authority over those you interrogate. But anyway, here is my good reason for Brexit. We will rejoin the majority of nations in the world who make all their own laws in their domestic parliaments, and leave the small number of nations who don't. Secondly, leaving the EU will allow us to offer immigration to all the people of the world on an equal basis, rather than giving preferential access to the UK to people from EU countries. This is discriminatory, and as the EU is mainly populated by white people and the rest of the world isn't it can be viewed as racist too.

It would still be useful if you could explain which of our laws are made by foreign governments as you have claimed. Not opinions, facts.
John
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

al_yrpal wrote:First it was the Spanish backed by the Pope, then Napoleon but he ended up after Waterloo mouldering away on St Helena, then it was the Kaiser, then Adolph, the latest attempted Empire has also been a failure...
If you are referring to the EU as the "latest attempted empire", and comparing it to the Third Reich, that is the most despicable post we have had on this thread so far.

Perhaps you spelt the word with a "ph" in the hope that search engines would not pick it up?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

bovlomov wrote:
windmiller wrote:
bovlomov wrote:It might cure us of our empire/WWII fantasies, once and for all. Though it'll be a painful process.

I guess you haven't heard Francois or Farage then, continually boring on about Dunkirk and WWII, as if they had anything to do with it. I call them fantasies because that's exactly what they are: a childish, comic book version of history that the people who did experience it wouldn't have recognised.

It is those people that did experience war who built the subsequent peace in Europe. It is some of their children who, inferiority complex written all over them, are doing their best to destroy it. Will you be fighting on the beaches with Francois (he'll be the one at the rear).

In a word, no
I don't listen to a word that Farage says, I don't really need to you as you hang onto most of what he says for your future references regarding some kind of underhand right wing rebellions that you predict might happen, now is this fantasy or reality?
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

windmiller wrote:
bovlomov wrote:
windmiller wrote:

In a word, no
I don't listen to a word that Farage says, I don't really need to you as you hang onto most of what he says for your future references regarding some kind of underhand right wing rebellions that you predict might happen, now is this fantasy or reality?

If it was only Farage and Francois. It isn't. Over the past decades, the biggest selling newspaper in the country has never ceased to remind us about WWII, even when reporting on football matches. Politicians across the right continually raise the subject. Posters in these pages make comments about the Germans that would have been justified in 1939 but eighty years later seem ludicrous.

Considering the way Farage and his backers have operated, I think 'rightwing rebellion' is a pretty good description - though I'd call it a criminal rebellion. The rightward lean isn't the bit that worries me. It isn't a fantasy, because it is already happening. The Tory Party over the past decade his been moving that way in order to appease those people. See the Hostile Environment and the appeasement of Trump, for example.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

andrec wrote:

Ah! So it is a puerile prank that you can't explain then,in which you wallow like a pig in the proverbial,and because you won the referendum you don't need to explain anything to the other half of the country who you are about to,along with yourselves, lead into the mire of obscurity.
Wallow away in your pathicism.
Last edited by reohn2 on 15 Jul 2019, 8:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oldjohnw wrote:
andrec wrote:

It would still be useful if you could explain which of our laws are made by foreign governments as you have claimed. Not opinions, facts.

Your questions fall on the deaf of ears of the mindless who don't feel any need to explain anything to anyone because they won,it doesn't get more pathetic.
But then what can you expect from the mindless?
W H Auden