Hat

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Tangled Metal

Re: Hat

Post by Tangled Metal »

If touring I want something that doesn't look too cycling off the bike. That's why I've never bought a cycling cap. Perhaps I should get one to try it out.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

freiston wrote:
simonhill wrote:Can't understand why people cover themselves in sunscreen slime instead of using a natural barrier like clothing. Especially as some of you wild camp - uuugh!

From experience, I know that clothing and a hat that are not unsuitable for hot weather or cycling are not enough to stop me from burning, especially on the face. Friends have joked that I would get burnt under a full moon.

I have met a few people like that. One had to use the highest factor version of Reiter P20 sunscreen. It lasts 8 hours. She put it on an hour before going out to let it start working, then she put an SPF 50 sunscreen on from another make over the top and waited the required period of time before going out. This one she replaced every hour or two throughout the day. Without tat regime she burnt badly.
mjr

Post by mjr »

whoof wrote:WRT hats along with some others on here I wear a cycling cap. Currently a blue Campag one or if touring a rather tattered TVM one. Don't have a probelm with the back of my neck and don't have a mullet/pony-tail like Gert either.

I used to wear a cycling cap, but after retrieving two from the middle of the A10 where they'd blown to, I switched to hats with chinstraps. I guess my hair thinned too much...
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
freiston

Post by freiston »

Tangled Metal wrote:If touring I want something that doesn't look too cycling off the bike. That's why I've never bought a cycling cap. Perhaps I should get one to try it out.

There's a limited selection of caps without obvious cycling branding/theming. I have an Altura black "podium" cap with venting that doesn't get me too hot (now discontinued) but I quite like the look of this cotton one for a fiver:

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLCARAPIS ... de-by-apis

Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
dim

Post by dim »

Cycling Classic Helmet Visor (clips onto your helmet)

http://www.dabrim.com/html/products/cycling/classic.htm

Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Puts the ni in niche...
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

KFT wrote:I used a Tilley hat for the Wimps Lejog last year as I wanted a wide brimmed hat to provide additional sun protection. It had the added advantage of being able to soak it in cold water which helped with the weather we had.

Tilleys are the world's finest hats... and (anecdotally) save your life as well!

From the owners manual...

One reason your Hat floats is because of the air trapped inside the water-repellent fibres. The main reason, however, is the layer of closed-cell polyethylene foam in the crown of the Hat that also protects your noggin from blunt objects. (People have told us this feature has actually saved their lives!)
skelo

Post by skelo »

Ok so I know this is boring, but as a brain injury survivor I absolutely recommend a helmet. What's a sweaty head or a bit of sunburn every now and then compared to a life changing injury or at worst death? If you are going to wear something on your head make it a helmet!
mjr

Post by mjr »

skelo wrote:Ok so I know this is boring, but as a brain injury survivor I absolutely recommend a helmet. What's a sweaty head or a bit of sunburn every now and then compared to a life changing injury or at worst death? If you are going to wear something on your head make it a helmet!

And yet, the evidence suggests that a helmet makes no significant difference to the injury risk. So please, keep the irrational helmet zealotry out of this useful topic.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Too many holes in a helmet to provide protection from sun. Unless you have a helmet cover that is. A helmet is simply a poor hat for cycling in sent 8 conditions. If you've got to wear something underneath just wear the something underneath instead.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

freiston wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:If touring I want something that doesn't look too cycling off the bike. That's why I've never bought a cycling cap. Perhaps I should get one to try it out.

There's a limited selection of caps without obvious cycling branding/theming. I have an Altura black "podium" cap with venting that doesn't get me too hot (now discontinued) but I quite like the look of this cotton one for a fiver:

It's a cycling cap. Doesn't look good when you're touring in civvies without the cycling lycra look. Tilley the best hat? BS! IMHO they're rubbish. Mine shrank in the first wash (a cold wash too) and couldn't be stretched back to fit. I now have an expensive hat that's 2 sizes too small. Better get a similar shaped hat from another company and save half the price of a Tilley hat.

My partner now occasionally wears it and she can also wear or 6 year old son's caps but it's supposed to be 7 5/8 originally.

There's some good, wide brimmed hats in the Tilley style but have a gel in the band that you wet and it cools you down as it dries. Apparently it works very well at chilling you down on very hot days. IMHO they're better.
Herts Audax

Post by Herts Audax »

Cycling caps and a buff to cover the neck. Soak in water if feeling hot. The buff you can add ice from a bar and fold over to prevent it escaping.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Tangled Metal wrote:
freiston wrote:

It's a cycling cap. Doesn't look good when you're touring in civvies without the cycling lycra look. Tilley the best hat? BS! IMHO they're rubbish. Mine shrank in the first wash (a cold wash too) and couldn't be stretched back to fit. I now have an expensive hat that's 2 sizes too small. Better get a similar shaped hat from another company and save half the price of a Tilley hat.

My partner now occasionally wears it and she can also wear or 6 year old son's caps but it's supposed to be 7 5/8 originally.

There's some good, wide brimmed hats in the Tilley style but have a gel in the band that you wet and it cools you down as it dries. Apparently it works very well at chilling you down on very hot days. IMHO they're better.

Which begs the question, why didn't you return the Tilley?
John
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

It sat in my cupboard for a couple of years as I forgot about it. Lasted one season or less though. I'm pretty bad at keeping receipts so not sure I could return it now.

Treating it as lesson learnt. Don't believe the hype. If an elephant wants to eat it I'll let it but don't give it me back! :D
whoof

Post by whoof »

Herts Audax wrote:Cycling caps and a buff to cover the neck. Soak in water if feeling hot. The buff you can add ice from a bar and fold over to prevent it escaping.

In Treviso a couple of years ago when it was touching 38 degrees Mrs Whoof rode with a bag of frozen peas, wrapped in a t-shirt on the back of her neck. This was of course mainly for cooling rather than a form of sunblock.