Cymru am byth - we love Wales!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cugel

Re: Cymru am byth - we love Wales!

Post by Cugel »

fausto copy wrote:You obviously know my local patch well then!
Yes, Newgale Hill is a bit of a killer, which I now try to avoid at all costs.

We used to have a clear view of Brawdy airfield from our previous house and used to watch the planes taking off and landing.
Although I've never been in to anything military, I was always fascinated by the Hercules and especially A-10 Tankbuster planes that bemused me into how on earth they actually stayed airborne at such apparent slow speeds.

Mind you, it's a lot more peaceful these days, now that the RAF and US Naval base have flown elsewhere.
Although we have been able to hear the firing from Castlemartin Range these last few days.

In the 80s, when Brawdy was fully functional as an airfield, they had an annual air show in July, with lots of weird aircraft on the ground and flying, including those warthogs you mention. I'm not a great lover of military stuff but can't help admiring the engineering and abilities of such things.

My favourite memory of a Brawdy air show was of a hot and sunny day, with the air show ending as the sun sank seaward over St Bride's Bay, framed by two English Electric Lightnings that howled low over the airfield before going vertical to frame the sinking sun. Despite the noise and reek of leaking fuel (for which they were infamous amongst ground crew, apparently) it was a magical moment.

Castlemartin range? Been there many a time too. :-)

Things go bang!
Things go bang!

Little access for human means lots of access for other living things.
Little access for human means lots of access for other living things.

The famous Green Bridge of Wales
The famous Green Bridge of Wales

Dangle men.
Dangle men.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Another crazy sport :?
Saint Dog-meals near Aberteifi is worth a visit :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Another crazy sport :?
Saint Dog-meals near Aberteifi is worth a visit :wink:

You mean Llan-dog (Llandudoch).

We drive through there often as it's on the way to Poppit Sands, where collies do like to run & run. We go so often we have a yearly car park ticket for the Poppit car park next to the fine cafe. Ice cream + cappuccino. Petit-bourgeois, I know!

Also, the ladywife goes at least once a month to the famous Llan-dog market on a Tuesday, which has local produce of the very most absolutely delicious kind. And much else. It's won awards for being a super market. (Not a supermarket). There's also Glebelands market garden, who sell their produce more or less straight out of the field adjacent to the wee wooden hut in which reposes the display and the till. Another favourite haunt of the ladywife.

So, I recommends to all the facilities of that place. It's good for cycling through too - as long as you don't mind the lung-burster hill going south out of Llan-dog towards Croft. Or the other one from Poppit to Molygrove.

Cugel

PS Don't worry about the Tragedy of Drive-Dawgwalking. It's all electrik now. Well, ours is. :-)
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Yes, a fascinating place St.Dogmaels (shame on Cyril Haearn).
The Abbey cafe is one of our favourites and their "paninis" are gorgeous but are in fact more like a cross between a crostini and what's that other bread type thingy? Not sure if they're made from the mill flour just down the road.

The architecture is quite interesting if you have a close look, as most of the buildings are constructed in layers of slate and stone; fairly unique to the area I think.

I agree that the market is wonderful but last time we were there we found Mrs. Copy's purse didn't contain enough money to buy owt. We'll have to save our pensions a bit better in future. :roll:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Why, even the humour is better in Wales, here is one of my favourites from a Noson Lawen (culture evening)

A couple went to see the doctor

"My husband talks in his sleep, he keeps waking me with strange phrases"

"What phrases exactly?"

"Oh doctor, he recites nonsense, sounds a bit like: the green green grass of home.. you're a sex baamb sex baamb, my delilah.. can you help doctor?"

The doc thought for a minute.. "I fear he is suffering from Tom Jones syndrome"

"Tell me more, can it be treated, what is the prognosis? Is it a rare condition?"

The doctor stood up, swung his hips, took out a microphone and started to sing:

"It's not unusual......"
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Cugel wrote:
PS Don't worry about the Tragedy of Drive-Dawgwalking. It's all electrik now. Well, ours is. :-)

Steady on you'll be telling us it's CO2 neutral and good for the enviroment next. :shock:
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

I've heard he's working on a prototype steam engine............
.......powered by wood shavings :lol:
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
Cugel wrote:

Steady on you'll be telling us it's CO2 neutral and good for the enviroment next. :shock:

Alas, I yam still a climate criminal, like everyone else. But perhaps I am at petty thief level rather than a bank robber. Reform is possible! One day soon .... perhaps .... maybe.

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

fausto copy wrote:I've heard he's working on a prototype steam engine............
.......powered by wood shavings :lol:

The plane shavings are saved for lighting woodburners. Off-cuts also head that way ... or used to.

In the new hoose there is a very posh wood burner that the previous owner placed there to please his wifey, who enjoyed the cose of an orange flame and a wash of black heat. However, the hoose insulation + ground source heating is so effective we've only lit this wood consumer once, just to see how well it worked. This was in the depths of winter with snow falling and -4 outside. We were roasted and had to take all our clothes off!

There's a wood store too, 3/4 full of logs that'll never be burnt.

The sawdust goes in the compost heap. It isn't the best stuff for composting, taking a long time and often (with some hardwoods) containing natural chemicals that inhibit the compost breakdown. (Durable timbers such as oak, iroko & teak have such chemicals in them to inhibit fungus and insect attack).

I'd like a steam enjin but what to do with it? Perhaps it could run the tablesaw and planer thicknesser via a leather belt? These machines are dangerous enough without adding a hot water bomb with arm-eating flywheel, though but. :-)

Cugel, wondering about charcoal making.
John Maynard Keynes
pwa

Post by pwa »

Composting toilets need sawdust.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Cugel wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:
Cugel wrote:

Alas, I yam still a climate criminal, like everyone else. But perhaps I am at petty thief level rather than a bank robber. Reform is possible! One day soon .... perhaps .... maybe.

Cugel

I know.
'Twas only light hearted jest.
We are pretty much all culpable.
But to try to do one's small bit is a help.
Don't run a Chelsea tractor unless you need it for hauling stuff etc.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Plus One for religious diversity in Wales, an old chapel at Llanbedr near Harlech is to be converted into a mosque
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Plus One for religious diversity in Wales, an old chapel at Llanbedr near Harlech is to be converted into a mosque

Yes, I yam all for a wide variety of eccentrics, loons and ranters - even the religious ones .... although one must be wary of the more dangerous ilk, such as Tory neolibbers and those who vote for Brexit! This is why I frequent the CUK forum. One can enjoy a wide variety of the diverse and even be a-one. :-)
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cugel wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Plus One for religious diversity in Wales, an old chapel at Llanbedr near Harlech is to be converted into a mosque

Yes, I yam all for a wide variety of eccentrics, loons and ranters - even the religious ones .... although one must be wary of the more dangerous ilk, such as Tory neolibbers and those who vote for Brexit! This is why I frequent the CUK forum. One can enjoy a wide variety of the diverse and even be a-one. :-)

Indeed, the fora is a Broad Church, as the Conservative Party used to be :wink:
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Cugel wrote:

Indeed, the fora is a Broad Church, as the Conservative Party used to be :wink:

The Conservative Party often was, and now definitely is, more of a a BroadMoor (as in the psychiatric hospital for the criminally insane). Unfortunately, they've never been properly locked up and are now running amok. CUK forum is very sane compared to those cackling barmpots and clowns.

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes