No bottle bosses

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
David9694

No bottle bosses

Post by David9694 »

777AF927-F910-425F-8628-B38B1FB58B18.png

I’ve also tried a solution from Decathlon. Not so secure and not easy to remove.

I like the SKS attachment - adjustable, surprisingly robust and easy on/off. But the SKS throws the cage at least an inch into the triangle, so not much chance of it being able to co-exist with a single downtube one. And it’s not elegant. I’m using it on a frame that has no bosses - for anything. I guess I could take part in a 1970s TDF - it can mount to the handlebars or the seat tube.

Anyway, are there any other solutions people have found?
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
9494arnold

Re: No bottle bosses

Post by 9494arnold »

Have a look at the Zefal ones. Surprisingly compact and robust in nylon .
Just had a look on fleabay, it's NOT the Gizmo ones , it's the other sort.
There's some secondhand ones listed . Have them on a couple of my machines.
Last edited by 9494arnold on 15 Jul 2019, 10:02pm, edited 2 times in total.
AndyA

Post by AndyA »

DMR make some excellent clamp on water bottle cage mounts. All metal, very secure
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

You may find the Rixen and Kaul device has a lower profile.

https://klickfix.com/en/products/detail/variants/bottlefix-1649/

I have one fitted and could measure the profile tomorrow if you like. I am sure it is less than an inch.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
9494arnold wrote:Have a look at the Zefal ones. Surprisingly compact and robust in nylon .
Just had a look on fleabay, it's NOT the Gizmo ones , it's the other sort.
There's some secondhand ones listed . Have them on a couple of my machines.

I have used both old and new type Zefal Gizmo, the new type ones are a bit well much better I.M.O. very secure and plastic, just watch you don't use too long screws as they will hit frame! which is it you recommend, the others ones?
Attachments
Old type
Old type
New type
New type
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

AndyA wrote:DMR make some excellent clamp on water bottle cage mounts. All metal, very secure

Yes they are truly are excellent - and as colin points out easily available from Chain Reaction - I only recently discovered them and - once I had overcome the shock that Chain Reaction still sold sensible straightforward bits, ordered a pair - to add an underneath bottle mount for a Trangia bottle to a 90s hybrid I sometimes use for touring.

As in here:

IMG_20190704_141752216_HDR.jpg

Rock solid.

They do push the bottle out a bit of course but in the position I have used them that is an advantage - it means the botlte and cage don't interfere with the cables running nearby. And in any case I often push bottle mounts out on the downtube using thick washers so that the bottle cage clears a bottom swing front mech mount.

Have now ordered a second pair for another bike before Chain Reaction think better of it.

I have used other solutions in the past* but nothing compares to these.

* Including the decathlon strap on thingy and a Minoura clamp on thingy for a sports folder I sometimes had to put on trains - but that was so I could easily take them off before jumping on the train.

edit - ah you may be out of luck David - I just returned to make the point that you should measure your tubes with calipers before ordering to ensure that you get the right size - I had always assumed that all the tubes on that bike were 28.6 as that is the size of the downtube (checked when sorting front mechs) but it turns out that the other main tubes are 31.8. But now I see that all except 28.6 are sold out - would be surprised if Chain Reaction restocked them - available from other places for possibly more though.
Sweep
scottg

Post by scottg »

Check for a bike shop that can install Rivnuts,
fairly common on Ti bikes. I've had installed on 1980s
bikes that only had the d/t bosses.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Colin_P

Post by Colin_P »

Those DMR clamp-ons are things of beauty. I've got a pair holding a second bottle on my old road bike.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

RJ the bike guy does a YouTube video explaining how to install rivnuts if you're interested;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNLo2rIw5M8

followed his instructions and installed a set on my tandem to hold the battery & controller for a front hub conversion. Still secure after 1000 miles / 12 months.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

scottg wrote:Check for a bike shop that can install Rivnuts,

Have had at least 2 rivnuts in an ally frame loosen themselves. Tis a drag. You would also have to drill the frame of course.
Sweep
robgul

Post by robgul »

scottg wrote:Check for a bike shop that can install Rivnuts,

Yep - the ultimate answer - I've fitted loads of them without any issues. The rivnuts themselves are available in both steel and aluminium (the steel need a good squeeze on the inserter gun) and the gun is pretty cheap. Not only bike frames but other jobs where a threaded (blind) hole is required to fix something (I've used some on an old Land Rover to fix panels and accessories)

With a bike frame it's sometimes a bit tricky to get the drill in because of the frame tube angles : a bit of tape to stop the drill slipping, mark the spot (then check it again), gentle tap with a centre punch, pilot hole with small drill bit at slow speed, final size hole at slow speed, tickle with a thin round file to get rid of any extenal burr - insert rivnut and pull up with the gun. Done.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
David9694

Post by David9694 »

I’ve ordered the Chain Reaction clamps - thanks for all the advice. Everything else is band-on with this frame so it makes sense. I measured the SKS, it’s more like 2.5” out from the frame.

Interesting to note the advisory on this one:
https://klickfix.com/en/products/detail ... efix-1649/
We don‘t advise the use on carbon- or other lightweight seatposts or recommend to take advice from the manufacturer.

Enjoyed the You tube and may try it one day. Loved the 7/64” drill bit - can he not get metric??
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.