Hat

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Hat

Post by Mick F »

mjr wrote:I used to wear a cycling cap, but after retrieving two from the middle of the A10 where they'd blown to, I switched to hats with chinstraps. I guess my hair thinned too much...
Mine stay on perfectly even in a strong wind or hurtling down hills at 40+mph ................... and I'm as bald as coot.
Mick F. Cornwall
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mick F wrote:
mjr wrote:I used to wear a cycling cap, but after retrieving two from the middle of the A10 where they'd blown to, I switched to hats with chinstraps. I guess my hair thinned too much...
Mine stay on perfectly even in a strong wind or hurtling down hills at 40+mph ................... and I'm as bald as coot.

All the better to achieve maximum friction twixt cranium and cap. Pity the hirsute, Mick!
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

I use a bandana.
Covers the back of the neck, keeps sweat out of my eyes, can be watered to cool me down, multipurpose and works with or without a helmet.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Do hats stay on baldies better than the hairy of head?

Is it a suction effect?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I wore a hat when I had hair. It's not made much difference either way. The important thing is to get one that fits snuggly, as the last one I bought needed a tad altering by tightening the elastic. I have a small head, so need the Small sizes.

In the old days when I was cycling to work in the cold weather, I wore a bobble-hat. I still have one now not used on a bike for over twenty years, but I use it when gardening in the winter. That stayed on when riding too.
Mick F. Cornwall
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I use a merino cycling skull cap on winter bought from Aldi. Too warm except in the real cold days. Washed it as per destructions and it feels tight now.

I'm seeing a pattern here. First wash and hats shrink. At least also merino knitted hats a stretch again.

I also only wore those merino hats under a helmet. To be b fair the point where I'm most likely to slip on ice is a very slow right hand turn coming off a pedestrian bridge. I'm only doing at most 4 or 5 mph there and if I fall it's probably very close to the forces applied in cycling helmet testing. It's the only reason I wear a plastic over hat is when that point and one other similar one is likely to be slippy on my commute. So don't deride me for wearing it. At least I'm doing so for a specific situation that's close to the design performance of the helmet (with the helmet being designed to meet the relevant standard not to protect the wearer of course).
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Re the collar neck exposed thing, I think that I suffer less as I ride flats and sit more upright. I usually wear a gents business type shirt, bought second hand from a charity shop (£2-£3). My hair is no longer than my hairline, but I don't suffer from a gap.

I recommend a poly cotton long sleeve shirt. Dries quickly, double thickness over the shoulders, cuffs down to gloves and covers the manly bump when off the bike. Can also be worn casually off bike.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Tangled Metal wrote:Do hats stay on baldies better than the hairy of head?

Is it a suction effect?

:lol:

My hair is fine, long, and slippery. I seem to have trouble keeping hats on my head more than most folks. A hat might grip on the outer layer of hair, but then that slips against the next and off comes the hat. That happens even when I am not cycling, so I really need something to hold it in place.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
ossie

Post by ossie »

Baseball cap....

Factor 30 on the lugs and neck.
doodah

Post by doodah »

Try looking at Rohanhttps://www.rohan.co.uk/mens-trave ... ccessories

Trailblazer or Escaper might suit. I have the Escaper - it folds away easily into a jacket or trouser pocket and has a cinch cord to adjust for fit.

I would definitely consider the trailblazer with optional fold away cowl.

Good gear and great service although a tad pricey.

Doodah
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I think the trailblazer has a face shield with midge repellent in it. With the cowl and the face mask bit it's not bad in midge areas but they can bite through the mesh if it contacts your face, unless he repellent works.

If this is the Rohan cap I have, of course, the packed cowl and face mask makes the cap bulky on the head and a little warm.

At least the Rohan hats come in a few sizes. One size never ever fits all!
climo

Post by climo »

Tangled Metal wrote:There's some good, wide brimmed hats in the Tilley style but have a gel in the band that you wet and it cools you down as it dries. Apparently it works very well at chilling you down on very hot days. IMHO they're better.

Any idea what the brand is or where to buy them?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

http://www.whiterockoutdoor.co.uk/gear.php?sec=1

This is the brand but I first saw it in the climbers shop Ambleside or cotswolds outdoors.

Other brands do similar such as outdoor research I think.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

ossie wrote:Baseball cap....

Factor 30 on the lugs and neck.

I've found that the smaller peak of a cycling cap makes them a lot more wind-resistant - I've had a baseball cap blow clean off!

May not be a problem for everyone of course.