Is Trump Mad?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Is Trump Mad?

yes
65%
no
25%
maybe
6%
maybe not
2%
dont know
2%

Total votes: 143

Bonefishblues

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Post by Bonefishblues »

andrec wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
andrec wrote:
I don't find his comments racist. He is inviting these women to go abroad and solve other countries problems, then to come back and tell everyone how they did it. He is obviously alluding to the difficulty he has as leader in solving all the USA's problems, something which these women do not have to do because they are in opposition. He is also pointing out that the USA is a great place to live, a place which many people from all over the world want to come to, and that if these women find it so dreadful they don't have to stay. Accusations of racism are now so common from some people as to be almost meaningless, except perhaps as a way of virtue signalling among themselves.

Rubbish. He is saying that US-born citizens X3 and one who arrived as a child refugee and who has long been a US citizen should go home. That's simple racism, as I hope you know.
If you don't, or are simply defending the indefensible, then either way, please stop and either educate yourself, or desist.

Do you know the role of an Opposition in a democracy? Seemingly not.

I try very hard not to attack the individual, but sometimes it's rather harder than others.

He did not say they should 'go home'. He said they go to other countries, solve their problems and then come back to the USA and tell everyone how they did it. He is not demanding they should do it, merely suggesting it. It is political rhetoric which he thinks will aid his re-election. I do not regard his comments as racist at all as I can see nothing in them which suggests he regards any race as superior to any others. His political opponents obviously think they can say what they like but that the president and his allies must circumscribe their speech to please their sensibilities and prejudices. Sorry, the world does not work like that. Nor do free speech and democracy.

Facts are facts, as others have already pointed out - they are absolutes, and the basis of any debate.

The rest is simply errant nonsense.
andrec

Post by andrec »

Bonefishblues wrote:
andrec wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Rubbish. He is saying that US-born citizens X3 and one who arrived as a child refugee and who has long been a US citizen should go home. That's simple racism, as I hope you know.
If you don't, or are simply defending the indefensible, then either way, please stop and either educate yourself, or desist.

Do you know the role of an Opposition in a democracy? Seemingly not.

I try very hard not to attack the individual, but sometimes it's rather harder than others.

He did not say they should 'go home'. He said they go to other countries, solve their problems and then come back to the USA and tell everyone how they did it. He is not demanding they should do it, merely suggesting it. It is political rhetoric which he thinks will aid his re-election. I do not regard his comments as racist at all as I can see nothing in them which suggests he regards any race as superior to any others. His political opponents obviously think they can say what they like but that the president and his allies must circumscribe their speech to please their sensibilities and prejudices. Sorry, the world does not work like that. Nor do free speech and democracy.

Facts are facts, as others have already pointed out - they are absolutes, and the basis of any debate.

The rest is simply errant nonsense.

Politics is not only about facts. It is also about influencing people and winning votes. President Trump is seeking re-election. Maybe he thinks that provoking his opponents into bouts of righteous indignation is good for his chances. His suggestion to these women has certainly turned the focus upon them to some extent, with their past utterances and support for some causes coming under closer scrutiny. In any case I see no problem with anything any politician says in a democracy. If you don't like what they say, don't vote for them.
andrec

Post by andrec »

Oldjohnw wrote:
andrec wrote:
Cugel wrote:
Bog-standard dictator type. History has hundreds of examples.

For we boomers The Luckiest-Ever Age of Blesse-Blighters is coming to an end. Normal service of psychopathic and sociopathic humans has returned.

Cugel

Perhaps not a bog-standard dictator. He was elected in free elections and is standing for re-election in free elections next year. Most dictators have less enthusiasm for democracy. I quite like the way he is telling some moaning people to clear off if they think the USA is so awful. His less than polite words are well within the bounds of limits of decorum set by his opponents, with one of the women he was referring to being on record as describing him as a person who has carnal knowledge of his mother.

So why didn't Trump clear off when Obama was President since then he thought the US was awful.

He expressed disagreement with some of Obama's policies. I can't find any evidence that he engaged in the type of criticism of the USA which some academics and Democrat politicians think is clever and fashionable.
andrec

Post by andrec »

Bonefishblues wrote:
andrec wrote:
Cugel wrote:
Bog-standard dictator type. History has hundreds of examples.

For we boomers The Luckiest-Ever Age of Blesse-Blighters is coming to an end. Normal service of psychopathic and sociopathic humans has returned.

Cugel

Perhaps not a bog-standard dictator. He was elected in free elections and is standing for re-election in free elections next year. Most dictators have less enthusiasm for democracy. I quite like the way he is telling some moaning people to clear off if they think the USA is so awful. His less than polite words are well within the bounds of limits of decorum set by his opponents, with one of the women he was referring to being on record as describing him as a person who has carnal knowledge of his mother.

Which is abusive, but overt racism being worn as a badge of pride is way beyond the pale.

Hmm. I think I'd rather be accused of being a racist, something which is commonplace these days with some people using it often against anyone who holds opinions they don't like, than be accused of having sex with my mother. But hey, we're all different, and that diversity makes the world a wonderful place.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

andrec wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
andrec wrote:

Which is abusive, but overt racism being worn as a badge of pride is way beyond the pale.

Hmm. I think I'd rather be accused of being a racist, something which is commonplace these days with some people using it often against anyone who holds opinions they don't like, than be accused of having sex with my mother. But hey, we're all different, and that diversity makes the world a wonderful place.

Not in Trump's America, it doesn't - even American-born citizens who happen to have a different skin colour and who have the temerity to criticise Trump because they are in an opposition party get told to go home.

Crude, unpleasant man.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

ETA
This was trimmed without any notification to me - bad form Mod.
Last edited by Bonefishblues on 17 Jul 2019, 12:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

[moderator note: sorry, but that language does not fall within forum guidelines viewtopic.php?f=10&t=57492 ]

Sorry but I could not think of a nicer way to make my point about insults in the modern age. Indeed stuff like that read even worse in the old english and Anglo saxon language. They were especially crude with their insults I believe.

So if you accept the concept of modern insults as it really is and not as you want it to be to justify your guy's racist outbursts. Then there's no comparison, trump is a racist cnut of the highest order or someone who is supporting that viewpoint for political gain. I think the latter is most likely. Which IMHO is possibly worse. It's the reason the republican hierarchy has kept quiet. If you cannot say something good about Trump's utterances then don't say anything! Their silence is telling IMHO. It's saying we want to be in power at any cost, even if that cost is Trump!
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Talking about dictators.... an interesting comparison between North Korea's State controlled news and Fox News

[youtube]il-22Q8mECc[/youtube]
andrec

Post by andrec »

One of the women had to apologise for racist comments earlier this year.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

He's not too wrong though is he?
They do come from a country whose government is a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world.

Me personally, I think it's a bit harsh but I can see where he's coming from.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

andrec wrote:One of the women had to apologise for racist comments earlier this year.

But the POTUS doesn't.

#doublestandardsforthegoodoleboy
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Bonefishblues wrote:
andrec wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Which is abusive, but overt racism being worn as a badge of pride is way beyond the pale.

Not in Trump's America, it doesn't - even American-born citizens who happen to have a different skin colour and who have the temerity to criticise Trump because they are in an opposition party get told to go home.

Crude, unpleasant man.

seems like his granddaddy came from Germany and they are not happy with all the attention they are getting
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I had a weird dream once about how someone found out Trump was born outside of America but smuggled in as a baby. What's more he could prove it and Trump lost his job as POTUS. The supreme Court had to decide which of his laws and edicts stood and which got struck out. By the time that was close to being sorted the next POTUS had been elected so Pence couldn't get into the WH.

Boy what a nice dream that was. The whole presidency of Trump got rolled back and American political scene became bipartisan while it got sorted.

Then I woke up!

Can someone please confirm whether I'm still dreaming or if this nightmare is really happening?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tangled Metal wrote:I had a weird dream once about how someone found out Trump was born outside of America but smuggled in as a baby. What's more he could prove it and Trump lost his job as POTUS. The supreme Court had to decide which of his laws and edicts stood and which got struck out. By the time that was close to being sorted the next POTUS had been elected so Pence couldn't get into the WH.

Boy what a nice dream that was. The whole presidency of Trump got rolled back and American political scene became bipartisan while it got sorted.

Then I woke up!

Can someone please confirm whether I'm still dreaming or if this nightmare is really happening?

That's the dream of a liberal minded individual thinker who,deep within their psyche is a leftwing thinker but superficially thinks he's rightwing :wink:

Be true to your inner self,you're a leftwinger :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

Trump is living proof that what we generally consider "intelligence" or "cleverness" is not required to be financially successful. He says (and presumably thinks) the (Americanism) dumbest things, but he has built an impressive business empire and got elected to the top job.