mercalia

Re: MSR Windburner/Jetboil/ *edit - Alpkit Brukit*

Post by mercalia »

[youtube]qBJijTy-_eY[/youtube]

hmm with the canister is big and top unstable? I think stick to my twig burner
PH

Post by PH »

mercalia wrote:hmm with the canister is big and top unstable?

In a decade's frequent use it's never been an issue, I've never bothered using the stabilising feet it came with, if I'm not 100% happy with the ground it's sat on, I'll hold onto it for the couple of minutes it takes to boil a cup of water. I can see how it might be a problem is you but a bigger pan on top and start stirring, but for it's intended purpose, it's stable enough. I tend to use the 100g canister when using for day rides and a 250g when going away for a few days, it did look a bit top heavy sat on the 500g one.
PH

Post by PH »

st599_uk wrote:
PH wrote:
st599_uk wrote:Has anyone tried the PlanetX bikes variant?

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CPFMSTR3G ... em---green

No, but the photos show the pot stood too high above the cooker. I suspect the photo is wrong, but I wouldn't trust a retailer who didn't know what they were selling.

I've looked at a couple of videos on YouTube, and it comes with an additional ring for using generic pots. I think they've mistakenly added that in the photo.

Dropped to £19 online, so I've bought one and will feed back.

Have you got it yet? What do you think? I've just been reading a comparison review from a couple of years back and it seems the Alpkit is the same manufacturer and is probably the same model.
I've picked up a Brukit, it's OK, but very much a cheap imitation rather than a genuine bargain IMO. Now I've got it home and had a play with it I'm not sure I'll keep it. It's considerably more bulky than a Jetboil, that's probably OK when I go camping, but it's just a little too big to use for day rides. I might keep it for that and get something for day rides that'd be too small for camping...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

What do you plan to use the whatever for on dayrides ph?
Making a cup of tea?
Sweep
PH

Post by PH »

Sweep wrote:What do you plan to use the whatever for on dayrides ph?
Making a cup of tea?

Yes, the Jetboil replaced a flask over a decade ago and I wouldn't go back. I'm not a fan of cafes unless it's to be sociable, I like my tea the way I make it and in a setting of my choice :wink:
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

PH wrote:
Making a cup of tea?

Yes, the Jetboil replaced a flask over a decade ago and I wouldn't go back. I'm not a fan of cafes unless it's to be sociable, I like my tea the way I make it and in a setting of my choice :wink:

Agree with you - I am a coffee nut - don't like most cafes and the coffee is so often either overpriced or weak.

So on day and night rides now take one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Outdoor-Camp ... 2749.l2649

was aware of them for a long time but was also concerned about safety for a while until some kind soul on here recomended them.

It connects to one of those long el cheapo gas cylinders - maybe a £1 or so each in multipacks.

I do have a converter for those cyclinders for general camping use but you do of course have to make sure that the gas cartridge is orientated the right way to avoid flare issues.

This el cheap device ensures that the gas cartridge is always the right way up.

I use it with a pocket rocket type gas stove thingy (many clones available) and then sit on top of it a 2 cup bialleti espresso maker.

I do have big and small windbreaks but don't bother on day rides - the coffee brewing process is so fast I just shelter everything with my body. I have done it on beaches no problem.
Sweep
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

PH wrote:
st599_uk wrote:
PH wrote:No, but the photos show the pot stood too high above the cooker. I suspect the photo is wrong, but I wouldn't trust a retailer who didn't know what they were selling.

I've looked at a couple of videos on YouTube, and it comes with an additional ring for using generic pots. I think they've mistakenly added that in the photo.

Dropped to £19 online, so I've bought one and will feed back.

Have you got it yet? What do you think? I've just been reading a comparison review from a couple of years back and it seems the Alpkit is the same manufacturer and is probably the same model.
I've picked up a Brukit, it's OK, but very much a cheap imitation rather than a genuine bargain IMO. Now I've got it home and had a play with it I'm not sure I'll keep it. It's considerably more bulky than a Jetboil, that's probably OK when I go camping, but it's just a little too big to use for day rides. I might keep it for that and get something for day rides that'd be too small for camping...
Yes. Works quite well. Boils a pint in 2.5 - 3 mins.

Will take it camping in a couple of weeks to put it through its paces.
Last edited by st599_uk on 18 Jul 2019, 3:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
PH

Post by PH »

Sweep wrote:
PH wrote:
Making a cup of tea?

Agree with you - I am a coffee nut - don't like most cafes and the coffee is so often either overpriced or weak.

So on day and night rides now take one of these:

That's a bargain and an economical way to buy gas.
I like how discrete Jetboil type stoves are, in some circumstances I don't want the casual observer realising I'm making brew, probably doesn't matter at all, but I do sometimes use it where I probably wouldn't if it looked more like a stove.
Currently looking at reviews of the Primus Lite, which is the smallest all-in-one type I've seen, but enough for a cup of tea :)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

In case of misunderstanding I should stress that that ebay link of mine at that price doesn't include the small stove. It's just for the adaptor with feet. The mini very light stove I use is a Vango thing. Cost £15 to £20.
Sweep
RickH

Post by RickH »

Sweep wrote:In case of misunderstanding I should stress that that ebay link of mine at that price doesn't include the small stove. It's just for the adaptor with feet. The mini very light stove I use is a Vango thing. Cost £15 to £20.

I love the description on that page.

Compared with the cylindrical convert, the overall focus of the stove is declined, increases the safety factor.

Very reassuring!

:lol: :lol:
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

RickH wrote:
Sweep wrote:In case of misunderstanding I should stress that that ebay link of mine at that price doesn't include the small stove. It's just for the adaptor with feet. The mini very light stove I use is a Vango thing. Cost £15 to £20.

I love the description on that page.

Compared with the cylindrical convert, the overall focus of the stove is declined, increases the safety factor.

Very reassuring!

:lol: :lol:

Well yes the english on the ebay sites of many of those chinese sellers is a thing to behold.

I usually find that measurements are pretty accurate though.

And of course so much of the stuff is common amongst multiple sellers (understatement) so easy to figure stuff out.

I only ever buy cheap simple stuff.
Sweep
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Sweep wrote:So on day and night rides now take one of these:

was aware of them for a long time but was also concerned about safety for a while until some kind soul on here recomended them.

It connects to one of those long el cheapo gas cylinders - maybe a £1 or so each in multipacks.
I do have a converter for those cyclinders for general camping use but you do of course have to make sure that the gas cartridge is orientated the right way to avoid flare issues.

This el cheap device ensures that the gas cartridge is always the right way up.

I would still prefer to buy a version with the backing of a large UK company:

however, given how much cheaper the A4 cans of gas for these is, I am surprised there are no summer backpackinging stoves intended for them sold in UK shops: the same amount of gas in a screw thread/camping gas cylinder is 100s of % dearer!!
Adding an adaptor to an existing screw thread stove worries me to much....
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Is it really any riskier than using those long cartridges in the units they are designed for?

I stress that i don't use that setup for cooking - just espresso - the thing is going for less than 3 minutes as it's faster than my home stove.

Before this I made my espressos in bus shelters and the like using a more conventional camping gas cartridge and a stove with a hose. So the hose was potentially another point of failure - one each end I suppose, so two.

A recent pic of a coffee stop with the set-up. It's just to the left of that pile of junk on the ground
Attachments
IMG_20190605_132817973_HDR.jpg
Sweep
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Sweep wrote:Is it really any riskier than using those long cartridges in the units they are designed for?...

That depends on how well built and designed the cartridge attachment and sealing is: hence I would prefer it to be sold by a well known name who has got the appropriate approvals, is happy to sell it (ie not worried about lawsuits) etc:

some of the metal A4 to screw thread adaptors seem a bit dodgy.....
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
PaulH75

Post by PaulH75 »

PH wrote:
st599_uk wrote:Has anyone tried the PlanetX bikes variant?

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CPFMSTR3G ... em---green

No, but the photos show the pot stood too high above the cooker. I suspect the photo is wrong, but I wouldn't trust a retailer who didn't know what they were selling.

I've got a one of these. They work and they often go on sale at around the £30 mark. The pot in the picture is stood on top of a screw on attachment that allows you to use generic pots and pans with the burner. How successful it is I wouldn't like to say as I've never done that although I suspect the hot spot could be a little small. If you just want to boil water it's very quick (5 minutes for a full 750ml pot at 4am on a cold day without going full on as I was worried there might be an issue with the plastic lid. There wasn't at that heat. Obviously you are going to struggle if you want to do proper meals but anything that just requires boiling water or even boil in the bag stuff it's great.