** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
roubaixtuesday

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by roubaixtuesday »

al_yrpal wrote:I and millions of others voted leave without any notion of nostalgia, nationalism or xenophobia. This is just another sick sneering attempt to denigrate people with the majority view. Thank goodness for the common sense of our friend Horizon in this echo chamber riven with angst and spite.

Al

Any angst, spite, sneering or sickness is all yours Al.

The point I'm making is that Brexit was NOT driven by those things, although they were part of the campaign.
stu1102

Post by stu1102 »

stu1102 wrote:Yes agreed BUT what we can say the pound is now trading at its lowest level since 1994, historically, the British Pound reached an all time high of 2.86 in December of 1957 and a record low of 1.05 in February of 1985 and since the referendum has fallen from its value 1.50 on the night of the referendum to its current trading level of 1.25

NOW 1.24

No downsides, only considerable upsides to Brexit (David Davis)

'The pound sterling is the worst performing major currency in the world over the past 24 hours, over the past month, over the past three months and over the past year' https://twitter.com/EdConwaySky
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

Cugel wrote:
windmiller wrote:(snip)
The EU ticks most of the boxes of being an Empire. (more snip) This awareness has awakened a sense of dormant patriotism in England which is most often sneered at by the left as right wing hatred of other nations or even fascism. This only angers the majority and empowers their will to break free from the bureaucratic tyranny that is the EU.

Ha ha - you been readin' that made-up Boris-stuff in The Torygraph about bananas and prawn flavoured crisps, as well as those aping the creature in their own gutter press lie-mongering rags.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... urosceptic

My advice is: check under your bed. I feel you will find only your chamber pot; perhaps also that mucky-mag you lost in 1977.

Cugel, who stopped reading the Rover & Adventure boys comic stories about the evil hun in 1959.

Above clippings from the Punch and Judy bumper book of Sneering Political Snivel Drivel.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cunobelin wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
bovlomov wrote:It might cure us of our empire/WWII fantasies, once and for all. Though it'll be a painful process.

Rather the reverse I fear
One possible big benefit would be less trade
British milk products only, no German, French, Irish products, for example, no cheddar cheese in Paris!
No more kerrygold in the UK

I have sort of accepted This Madness because I can do nothing about it
Plenty of us shall be little affected by it I believe

Besides, as someone suggested on my mental health thread: in the interests of my mental health I do not read the b***t thread so often :wink:

Which is also in many ways a failed argument

The export market in Europe is greater than the home market. Even if we replaced ALL imports with UK, there would still be a deficit that will be a major issue devastating the UK farming and fishing industries

Plenty of marginal land could be farmed, people could eat more porridge and less meat
Simples :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

roubaixtuesday wrote:The real reason for Brexit?

Here's real earnings over the past 150+ years. There has been no comparable drop in real earnings since industrialisation. It's pretty amazing Brexit is all that has happened.

Capture1.JPG

And adjusted right up to date. Real earnings are still lower than pre-crash, over a decade on:

Capture.JPG

The xenophobia, nationalism and nostalgia are a symptom of this economic reality.

Just my view, of course.

Another good example of sneering and smearing the majority who voted for brexit
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

Many who voted remain have a phobic fear of reality and they get really vexed at anyone who does not partake of it. So much for liberal tolerance - it died
long ago.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

windmiller wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:The real reason for Brexit?

Here's real earnings over the past 150+ years. There has been no comparable drop in real earnings since industrialisation. It's pretty amazing Brexit is all that has happened.

Capture1.JPG

And adjusted right up to date. Real earnings are still lower than pre-crash, over a decade on:

Capture.JPG

The xenophobia, nationalism and nostalgia are a symptom of this economic reality.

Just my view, of course.

Another good example of sneering and smearing the majority who voted for brexit

Get a grip, and address the point rather than obfuscating. The post says the opposite of what you claim.
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

The wheels on the bus go around and around
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

roubaixtuesday wrote:The post says the opposite of what you claim.

The mistake you made was to introduce an unacceptable level of complexity. It's the same when someone mentions poverty as being a factor in criminal behaviour. The stock response is: "How dare you! The majority of poor folk are decent and aren't criminals."

But oh no! Have I just compared Leave voters with criminals?
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

bovlomov wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:The post says the opposite of what you claim.

The mistake you made was to introduce an unacceptable level of complexity. It's the same when someone mentions poverty as being a factor in criminal behaviour. The stock response is: "How dare you! The majority of poor folk are decent and aren't criminals."

But oh no! Have I just compared Leave voters with criminals?

How about introducing a level of common sense into that statement instead of patronising guff.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

windmiller wrote:How about introducing a level of common sense into that statement instead of patronising guff.

Common sense says roubaixtuesday's post was misunderstood, and the offence taken was misplaced. Will that do?
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

bovlomov wrote:
windmiller wrote:How about introducing a level of common sense into that statement instead of patronising guff.

Common sense says roubaixtuesday's post was misunderstood, and the offence taken was misplaced. Will that do?

Remainers excel at patronising common sense
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

windmiller wrote:
bovlomov wrote:

I don't wish to patronise you. How would you like to be told, that you misunderstood?
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

bovlomov wrote:
windmiller wrote:
bovlomov wrote:Common sense says roubaixtuesday's post was misunderstood, and the offence taken was misplaced. Will that do?

I don't wish to patronise you. How would you like to be told, that you misunderstood?

Same language different worlds

Thanks for proving my point :lol:
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Rather the reverse I fear
One possible big benefit would be less trade
British milk products only, no German, French, Irish products, for example, no cheddar cheese in Paris!
No more kerrygold in the UK

I have sort of accepted This Madness because I can do nothing about it
Plenty of us shall be little affected by it I believe

Besides, as someone suggested on my mental health thread: in the interests of my mental health I do not read the b***t thread so often :wink:

Which is also in many ways a failed argument

The export market in Europe is greater than the home market. Even if we replaced ALL imports with UK, there would still be a deficit that will be a major issue devastating the UK farming and fishing industries

Plenty of marginal land could be farmed, people could eat more porridge and less meat
Simples :wink:

Unless you are a welsh hill farmer when you cannot grow oats or sell; your meat?