** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Paulatic

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Paulatic »

andrec wrote:
I've not told anybody to do anything.

But sometimes it is better if a person does leave a party, a job, a marriage, a sports club, a pub gathering etc if they seem unhappy there and their constant moaning and complaining is tiresome for others. After Brexit the UK might just not be the right place to live for some people for the same reason. They'd be happier abroad and everyone else would be happier without them. I believe that's called a win win solution.

You’ve been very smart not to but it all reads as thinly disguised vile.... First they came...
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

al_yrpal wrote:Thats just a half baked list of pessimistic assertions. The City is still there, the minnows in Paris and Frankfurt are not significant, the car plants are still there and its the Chinese coming off the boil thats reduced demand not the fear of Brexit. The wage rises are real. Yes, the EU are trying to make things more difficult for us as they always have, another good reason to get out.

You keep believing that, lets face it anyone that thinks Mogg makes sense simply hasn't realised how far down the path they've got.
al_yrpal wrote:Seriously, you should get out of Britain whilst the going is good. You would certainly be much happier. How about China, if you like fog, traffic jams and hate British culture, could be just the place?

Al

And the old classic leaver pitch just in case anyone had any doubts.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

For all those who think that 52 % is a democratic victory

Yet Farage and the Brexit PArty are now claiming that Ursula von der Leyen gaining 52 % of the vote is NOT a mandate, NOT sufficient to gain the position and NOT democratic

You really cannot make this up!
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

kwackers wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:Rees Mogg is forecasting no deal will give the economy an £80 bn boost which is the polar opposite of what Eeyor and the Treasury are saying. It will be interesting to see who is right? RM follows in the footsteps of his Dad, both astute investors. Perhaps reality lies somewhere in between? ie no change economically... :D

Al

Given all that we've irrevocably lost already I fail to see how he works that out.

Anyway, he's already been wrong on several occasions so far so I think we can safely discount his views.

Rees-Mogg is talking about his personal gains from Brexit, nothing to do with any reality
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

andrec wrote:
pete75 wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:
Thats just a half baked list of pessimistic assertions. The City is still there, the minnows in Paris and Frankfurt are not significant, the car plants are still there and its the Chinese coming off the boil thats reduced demand not the fear of Brexit. The wage rises are real. Yes, the EU are trying to make things more difficult for us as they always have, another good reason to get out.

Seriously, you should get out of Britain whilst the going is good. You would certainly be much happier. How about China, if you like fog, traffic jams and hate British culture, could be just the place?

Al

You've had the entire 40 plus years of our EU membership to clear off to a non EU nation. Why didn't you take your own advice and do so?

An Leave person who wants to live under the rule of a parliament of his compatriots cannot solve this problem by emigrating. A Remainer can. He can emigrate to another EU country and be ruled by his beloved EU parliament, a body comprised mostly of foreigners (all foreigners after Brexit), and which he is convinced can make much better laws than Westminster.

What tripe, 75% of the UK should leave to satisfy the wishes of a minority of 25%
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
andrec wrote:An Leave person who wants to live under the rule of a parliament of his compatriots cannot solve this problem by emigrating. A Remainer can. He can emigrate to another EU country and be ruled by his beloved EU parliament, a body comprised mostly of foreigners (all foreigners after Brexit), and which he is convinced can make much better laws than Westminster.

Ah well, that's ok then.

Please carry on telling people you don't agree with they should leave the country. :roll:

Andrec is Donald Trump AICMFP
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Andrec , you sound rather like Trump.
If I may make so bold what Daily paper do you read?
Edit.
I see Cunobolin got there first.
Probably best as I would have only spent the fiver on beer. Though inflation being what it is, it wouldn't drown my sorrows.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

andrec wrote: All I see is an ability to ascribe negative and malign motives to anyone who doesn't agree with them.

There are Brexit supporters here with whom most of us are able to conduct civil discussions. It simply isn't true that malign motives are ascribed to anyone who doesn't share the same opinions.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

During my life I have visited 45 countries, the USA 15 times, China twice 30 years apart. Our culture...art, theatre, BBC Radio and TV, the Proms, Concerts, gigs, festivals, fetes, craft shows, country fairs, our stunning countryside, bridleways, footpaths, pubs, clubs, single interest clubs, our history, landscapes, coast, I could go on and on. Love it all and as an expat you lose the lot. Love our country...

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

al_yrpal wrote:I can tell you about dementia, it isnt a subject for your pathetic and insulting jokes. Did I say Mogg makes sense, no I didnt. But then I am not full of bile and hate like yourself. And as for China you bragged, as you often do, that you could make yourself seriously rich there, not me.

Al

On the one hand you were making a comment about how great it was going to be because Mogg said so and now you're claiming that perhaps Mogg doesn't make sense.
Which is it?

As for China, bragging? I don't think so, neither did I ever claim it would make me rich. What I said was if I could be bothered, possibly if I was younger then I'd head in that direction. There is good money out there, not enough to make one rich though, but the experience would be worth the hassle.
I also probably said that south eastern Asian countries are young and dynamic, something we've lost here and something I think would be worth experiencing for a few years.

However your intent wasn't really a suggestion that I should go over there, enjoy the country and make a few quid. Both of us know exactly what it was you were suggesting however badly you tried to dress it up.
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

Von der Leyen is Merkel's trained glove puppet and already unpopular with the rank and file EU borg collective.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

al_yrpal wrote:Pete, I love my country, despite being an unwilling part of the EU Empire, its still a great place to live and its been very good to me. After Brexit it will be even better.

Al

Yet you say others who may well love their country but prefer eu membership should depart these shores. Your fellow leaver Andrew suggests the same. What your pair seem to be saying is people who don't hold the same opinions as yourselves shouldn't be here. Hopefully not an attitude held by a majority of brexiters otherwise post brexit Britain will be an extremely unpleasant place.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Thus the BBC summarises the complete and utter incompetance of the current Parliament - all 500 or so who voted to activate article 50

"Let's get the UK involved with France and Germany. Let's see how the dust settles and let's talk about whether we can come to a new deal for Europe."

Britain's de facto deputy prime minister David Lidington reveals to Panorama that he was made that startling offer by Martin Selmayr.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49008826

Makes me very ashamed and embarrassed
Last edited by mercalia on 18 Jul 2019, 8:42am, edited 1 time in total.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Apologies if this has been said before - I haven't time to check the whole thread! - but I do lament a) Cameron's decision to promise a referendum because he was sacred of a democratic election result (split between too many parties to allow a minority party to take power) and b) the fact that the referendum criterion was set at 50% and not the 60/40 split that took us into the EU.

The consequence of which is perfectly summarised in the linked 60 second video clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm6Id3Qt8Wk
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Stradageek wrote:Apologies if this has been said before - I haven't time to check the whole thread! - but I do lament a) Cameron's decision to promise a referendum because he was sacred of a democratic election result (split between too many parties to allow a minority party to take power) and b) the fact that the referendum criterion was set at 50% and not the 60/40 split that took us into the EU.

The consequence of which is perfectly summarised in the linked 60 second video clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm6Id3Qt8Wk

ah I didnt know that. Makes Camerons actions even more inept and negligent.