Repeated close passes by driver on commute

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mjr

Re: Repeated close passes by driver on commute

Post by mjr »

Phil Fouracre wrote:[...] Forgetting the the wobble, I’ve had enough difficulty over the years getting people not to ride in the hedge! let alone anywhere near primary. Best I’ve seen is a local guy, who rides in full hi-vis, inc his helmet, who I’ve seen brushing the hedge with his shoulder, and, he says he has hundreds of close passes, figure that out!

It could be explained by the symmetry theory: drivers give cyclists the same space that the cyclist gives themself from the hedge/verge/kerb.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

COYB wrote:I know a cyclist who had the same issue. He fixed a length of sponge pipe insulation tubing to the offside of his bike. The tubing was about three feet long and was fixed to the rear rack, just behind the seat post. He covered the end of the tubing with hi-viz tape. The offending driver then used to aim for this safe distance indicator, treating it as a sort of game. Eventually the hacked off cyclist fitted a couple of short sharp nails at the end of the tubing and the harassment stopped. Its not something I would advocate doing myself but it did solve his problem.
Excellent idea.
Mick F. Cornwall
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Mick F wrote:
COYB wrote:I know a cyclist who had the same issue. He fixed a length of sponge pipe insulation tubing to the offside of his bike. The tubing was about three feet long and was fixed to the rear rack, just behind the seat post. He covered the end of the tubing with hi-viz tape. The offending driver then used to aim for this safe distance indicator, treating it as a sort of game. Eventually the hacked off cyclist fitted a couple of short sharp nails at the end of the tubing and the harassment stopped. Its not something I would advocate doing myself but it did solve his problem.
Excellent idea.

Deliberately antagonising someone who is harrassing you and has the power to commit violence on you with little or no likelihood of comeback seems like an extraordinarily bad idea to me, to be honest.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I agree with you, but if you are on the receiving end of repeated threats, you could very well feel differently.

My original idea up thread, was to wear something different so you look like someone else. Passive rather than aggressive.
Mick F. Cornwall
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
Mick F wrote:
Excellent idea.

Deliberately antagonising someone who is harrassing you and has the power to commit violence on you with little or no likelihood of comeback seems like an extraordinarily bad idea to me, to be honest.

But it worked! So who is right?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

mattheus wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:
Mick F wrote:Excellent idea.

But it worked! So who is right?

Well, in the story "it worked". Often the stories are made so the goodies are good, the baddies are bad and the goodies triumph over the baddies. Huzzah! Humans like these wee morality tales rather than all the ugly and complex details of real events. Ask a polis who collects witness statements.

On the other hand, I can think of far more draconian responses to car-loons than a bit of rubbery pipe with a scratcher in it. Mind, these responses would all be escalations beyond the pale!

Cugel, a pacifist (as long as me naughty-button isn't pressed hard and repeatedly).
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Same theme:

For a few years, I had a part time job up the road from here, and I walked there and back. When it rained, I took a brolly - and mine is a nice big golfing brolly.

The pavement is narrow on the top bend, and commuting traffic - in fact all traffic (except me) break the speed limit and cut the corner very close to the 2ft wide pavement. Dangerous. Try pushing a push chair or a pram up there, or walking with a child or dog! :shock:
Just here:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.51629 ... 312!8i6656
I took great delight in bringing the brolly down into the wind walking up the hill on the bend, and watching the cars swerve away from my brolly. Once or twice over the years, my brolly caught on the side of a car.

Without the brolly, in the good weather, I made sure I walked as far out to the right as the kerb stones.
Mick F. Cornwall
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Raining today so I wore my poncho and had no close passes!

However, the perpetrator was not on the road this morning so I have not really tested the disguise idea.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Try dressing to look like a police/security person, or just extend your shoulders so you resemble Tyson Fury, seen from behind
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

Anyone see last weeks cyclist scurge program? They showed a policeman riding a bicycle in full yellow police gear. He was stopping motorists (with police motorcyclist) who passed too close, the highway code says 1.5m clearance.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Greystoke wrote:Anyone see last weeks cyclist scurge program? They showed a policeman riding a bicycle in full yellow police gear. He was stopping motorists (with police motorcyclist) who passed too close, the highway code says 1.5m clearance.

I thought the woman caught on her 'phone was priceless........ "I wasn't on the 'phone, I was ending the call when you saw me" :shock:
Incredible how she could think that was ok.
Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

That same woman when talking to the policeman he said "don't answer that" she replied "it's important"...... :shock:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

fastpedaller wrote:
Greystoke wrote:Anyone see last weeks cyclist scurge program? They showed a policeman riding a bicycle in full yellow police gear. He was stopping motorists (with police motorcyclist) who passed too close, the highway code says 1.5m clearance.

I thought the woman caught on her 'phone was priceless........ "I wasn't on the 'phone, I was ending the call when you saw me" :shock:
Incredible how she could think that was ok.

Sadly not at all incredible, quite normal, -99
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Greystoke wrote:That same woman when talking to the policeman he said "don't answer that" she replied "it's important"...... :shock:

Yes, I saw that! Was that stupidity or a complete lack of respect?
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)