Is Trump Mad?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Is Trump Mad?

yes
65%
no
25%
maybe
6%
maybe not
2%
dont know
2%

Total votes: 143

Bonefishblues

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Post by Bonefishblues »

andrec wrote:The rules of the game are that anyone can call President Trump a fascist, a racist, an Islamophobe, a [moderated] etc, and even say he is the new Hilter, and he is required to remain diplomatically silent, presidential.

But he's torn up the rule book and his opponents simply can't cope. It is enjoyable to witness.

Yes, you said that a couple of days ago.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

andrec wrote:..... It is enjoyable to witness.

I'm afraid your enjoyment is my disgust.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

andrec wrote:The rules of the game are that anyone can call President Trump a fascist, a racist, an Islamophobe, a [moderated] etc, and even say he is the new Hilter, and he is required to remain diplomatically silent, presidential.

But he's torn up the rule book and his opponents simply can't cope. It is enjoyable to witness.

I ideally you want your head of government to have self-control, wisdom and patience. Trump is just the opposite. Bad tempered and says before he thinks. And he loves it when the object of one of his verbal attacks is someone who cannot hit back. He looks most comfortable when he is bullying.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:I ideally you want your head of government to have self-control, wisdom and patience. Trump is just the opposite. Bad tempered and says before he thinks. And he loves it when the object of one of his verbal attacks is someone who cannot hit back. He looks most comfortable when he is bullying.

In short he's a liability for the USA,and it's allies.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Here is, tearing up that rulebook again, to widespread acclaim, clearly. Quick show of hands from those enjoying witnessing it?

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ilhan-omar
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Bonefishblues wrote:Here is, tearing up that rulebook again, to widespread acclaim, clearly. Quick show of hands from those enjoying witnessing it?

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ilhan-omar

D_wK7xSX4AE0brd (1) (Small).jpg
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Vorpal wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Isn't that more to do with freedom of speech in USA than the level of racism? You can say it over there but over here you have to be circumspect. You can't call someone a dirty Jew but dirty Zionist is acceptable to some in UK politics apparently. If you doubt that then look to n the phrase "dog whistle". It has been used a fair bit in the UK about racism in the UK. I haven't really read much in US press about that phrase wrt racism and speech.

As someone who grew up in the US, racism has always been there. Even though I have a very diverse family, and have always had diverse groups of friends, I learned racist things as part of the culture. Some, I learned better because of friends and family. Other things, I learned better by other means, such as political activism. 20 years ago, I thought that things were getting better, at least in northern cities, it seemed urban areas were becoming more integrated, I saw more interracial couples, more diverse groups of friends together, etc. My diverse groups of friends got fewer comments in public places, etc. I hadn't had anyone call me a 'nigger lover' since the late 80s. I honestly thought that when people made racist comments about the area where I lived, that they were a tiny minority of folks who didn't yet understand.

Now, I know better. Now I know that they were just hiding and biding their time.

p.s. if you haven't seen 'dog whistle' in American media, I suggest you try some other sources. I've certainly seen the term.

Not at all, my point of dog whistle is that in the UK that's needed because UK is less tolerant of overt racist comments. The USA, with freedom of speech, has less need of dog whistle because there's more freedom to be openly racist. It's about being open or masking it.

For example, my American family had overt racism towards native Americans. The members visiting here had no qualms talking openly about their views even though kids were present (myself) and to UK ears it's not on. My grandad who's lived longer in the UK I had no idea shared their racist views over native Americans.

You see it's not that the dog whistle or racism isn't there, just that it's more ok to give your personal views even if it offends.

I hope I've made things clearer. I'm possibly wide of the mark but it's my impression based on my experience and my relatives.

PS my grandad looked a bit like a Tribal chief in old westerns that actually used native Americans. Someone pointed that out and it's the first time I saw him very angry. A big offence to him based on his experience growing up in an area with tribal groups.
andrec

Post by andrec »

pwa wrote:

I ideally you want your head of government to have self-control, wisdom and patience. Trump is just the opposite. Bad tempered and says before he thinks. And he loves it when the object of one of his verbal attacks is someone who cannot hit back. He looks most comfortable when he is bullying.

Those four women got their retaliation in first. They can say anything they like about the president and his policies, and they have. They appear to have a problem with the president saying anything he likes about them and their policies in return. I see no bullying by either side, just a frank exchange of opinions. However these days we seem to have a lot of people who can hand out robust opinions of others but get all sensitive and offended when someone returns the compliment. The problem is that these people often see themselves as judge and jury about what anyone is allowed to say and are shocked and surprised when not everyone adheres to their rules.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

So you think this is acceptable?! Watch the video...

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1151609641715097600

"There's a lot of talk about the fact that she [Ilhan Omar] was married to her brother. I know nothing about it ... I don't know but I'm sure that somebody would be looking at that."
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

kylecycler wrote:So you think this is acceptable?! Watch the video...

"There's a lot of talk about the fact that she [Ilhan Omar] was married to her brother. I know nothing about it ... I don't know but I'm sure that somebody would be looking at that."

I see no issue here - someone asked the question of him, he batted it back. Unless I'm missing something?
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Bonefishblues wrote:
kylecycler wrote:So you think this is acceptable?! Watch the video...

I see no issue here - someone asked the question of him, he batted it back. Unless I'm missing something?

You're missing something, big time - she wasn't married to her brother and he knows that.

The world and its brother, apart from sick, twisted, moronic conspiracy theorists and propagandists know that too (and even they know it, of course) - and yet he manifestly, unashamedly failed to condemn the 'rumour'. That's what you're missing.

Sorry, I know you and I are on the same side, absolutely, but it just gets so frustrating.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Might be just be that ignorant?
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Bonefishblues wrote:Might he just be that ignorant?

Oh, he's as ignorant as get out, no question, but he's sly - he knows damn well that she wasn't married to her brother, but not refuting it is pandering to his base, who are ignorant in ways that you and I and most of the rest of the crowd on here couldn't even begin to fathom.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

kylecycler wrote:

Oh, he's as ignorant as get out, no question, but he's sly - he knows damn well that she wasn't married to her brother, but not refuting it is pandering to his base, who are ignorant in ways that you and I and most of the rest of the crowd on here couldn't even begin to fathom.

Well, he didn't know about Jeffrey Epstein's liking for young girls, he says.

https://nypost.com/2016/10/09/the-sex-slave-scandal-that-exposed-pedophile-billionaire-jeffrey-epstein/
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
andrec

Post by andrec »

kylecycler wrote:

It is the inability of some people to fathom how others think which leads to their electoral defeats. As mind reading is an inexact science the best way to fathom it would be to ask them, but that seems to be distasteful to them. They prefer to stay in their own safe world where everyone thinks the same as they do, ignorant of the views of others, with no deplorable people saying deplorable things. And then they wonder why Brexit happened and how President Trump got elected.