Red means STOP! or How I began to hate cyclists.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Red means STOP! or How I began to hate cyclists.

Post by Cyril Haearn »

poetd wrote:
Spinners wrote:
poetd wrote:FYI - my girlfriend was driving that day, Corsa

My wife's driving is pretty course too :wink:

Not bad. :)
Though I'm sure there's better to be had out of playing on the Italian translation.... :P

The first corsa was called 'no-va' in the UK (doesnae go)
Quite a cute little car I thought, especially the booted saloon :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Tangled Metal wrote:Nobody remembers the positive only the negative. This is especially true concerning motorists and cyclists.

Good service wins a couple of new customers, bar service loses 10 new potential customers.

It's a known effect, we're a negative species!

Wrong again, we forget lots of negative things, prevents one going mad or taking ones own life
Please to look at 'a positive thread' and my jokes :?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I'm thinking of your jokes! :wink: :wink: :D
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I think I may have a new record.

13 seconds between the lights changing and a car going through. Hidden, set back junction too and the car was travelling around 50-60mph as it shot through.

Obviously when I'm next out in my car I'll treat other car drivers as dirt with close passes, cutting then up etc.

(I have it on video, going to see if Cheshire police have a suitable site to upload it).
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

kwackers wrote:I think I may have a new record.

13 seconds between the lights changing and a car going through. Hidden, set back junction too and the car was travelling around 50-60mph as it shot through.

Obviously when I'm next out in my car I'll treat other car drivers as dirt with close passes, cutting then up etc.

Thanks for making us aware of this.

Today I shall snub all the car-drivers I work with. That'll teach 'em.
mjr

Post by mjr »

kwackers wrote:I think I may have a new record.

(I have it on video, going to see if Cheshire police have a suitable site to upload it).

Not a record, sadly. I've seen 30+ seconds, but very late at night. Far in excess of the 40mph limit there, too. I've not yet caught one on camera in sufficient detail to report cleanly (fast-moving, night and being well to the right of me all make the number plate harder to read), so well done you!

I'm tempted to use the smoother and less bendy carriageway through those lights late at night when it's quiet, but this sort of rampant disregard discourages me, so I end up using the slow right-hand Z bend and two left-hand Ls onto the exit cycleway even then because at least then I'll see them coming more easily than if they're racing up from behind - they disregard red traffic lights, so would they stop for a red bike tail light? In the daytime, I don't mind the cycleway because I often pass a queue of motorists and oncoming traffic volume makes both overtaking the queue and the light-avoiding right turn onto the exit cycleway slow/difficult.

Bring back red light cameras!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mjr wrote:Not a record, sadly. I've seen 30+ seconds, but very late at night. Far in excess of the 40mph limit there, too. I've not yet caught one on camera in sufficient detail to report cleanly (fast-moving, night and being well to the right of me all make the number plate harder to read), so well done you!

I've submitted the footage - they don't make it easy, particularly all the witness statement nonsense. But we'll see.

Yeah 13 seconds is my record - had it been 1 or 2 I honestly wouldn't have thought anything of it but a combination of time, the junction layout and speed are what triggered me.
TBH as he shot past I thought he was going to slam on in front of me, my brain jumped into high gear as it started processing possible outcomes and figure out my best next move.

Good footage though, absolutely no problems with the reg. The fly12 is expensive but the footage I get from it is pin sharp with no motion wobble or high speed blurring.
(There may be better cameras, I've no desire to impoverish myself testing high end cameras. ;) )
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

Spinners wrote:
brooksby wrote:
Spinners wrote:Perhaps we're talking about two different things here.

I regularly see POB's go up to a steady red light and either ride straight on or turn left. I never see motorists do this.

However, I do see motorists 'go through late' (amber or about 1-2 seconds worth of red).

Is this what you see?

But you're supposed to stop on amber, unless you're going to endanger other road users...

I'm well aware of that thank you and mention it in this very thread.

Yes, sorry about that: I was commenting as I was reading rather than reading to the very end :D
poetd

Post by poetd »

Pete Owens wrote: On the way was a bridge over a stream, and under this bridge there lived a ...

... person with differing opinion to me, which in these glorious days of social-media is now classed as a hate-crime.

??? Did I get it right? :)
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

poetd wrote:??? Did I get it right? :)
As one of the original responders to you, let me say I am pleased you have retained a sense of humour after all this. I hope you will post on less contentious issues.

Perhaps we need a couple more separated subjects in the same way a we do with helmets. The subjects would be RLJ and dogs. These two subjects come up every few weeks and just rehash the same old arguments time after time. Separate areas would allow new posters to see that it has all been done before. That is a bit tongue in cheek since I know it will not happen.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
poetd wrote:
Spinners wrote:
My wife's driving is pretty course too :wink:

Not bad. :)
Though I'm sure there's better to be had out of playing on the Italian translation.... :P

The first corsa was called 'no-va' in the UK (doesnae go)
Quite a cute little car I thought, especially the booted saloon :wink:

Are there saloons without boots?
poetd

Post by poetd »

tatanab wrote:As one of the original responders to you, let me say I am pleased you have retained a sense of humour after all this. I hope you will post on less contentious issues.

Perhaps we need a couple more separated subjects in the same way a we do with helmets. The subjects would be RLJ and dogs. These two subjects come up every few weeks and just rehash the same old arguments time after time. Separate areas would allow new posters to see that it has all been done before. That is a bit tongue in cheek since I know it will not happen.

Thanks.

First, I'd like to thank everyone for Helping me regain my sense of humour. I was genuinely down about it. Still am I guess, but at least having a laugh about it more, so all is good.

I did have a search (brief admittedly) for prior threads, though wasn't aware of the RLJ acronym, but didn't see anything, hence the post.

Cheers. :)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I am a Cyclist
I hate PoBs who go too fast, follow too close, undertake on the inside etc
But not as much as I hate the average motron
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I hate PoBs who go too fast

Let me guess. Anyone going faster than you is too fast, and slower than you is holding you up?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

kwackers wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I hate PoBs who go too fast

Let me guess. Anyone going faster than you is too fast, and slower than you is holding you up?

Going slower is fine, not many go slower than me
Very glad to let speedies by on the outside if there is room
I could go faster than I do but am very wary of motrons turning across my path so I go slowly, just as I did when I used to drive :wink: