Looking for an E-bike

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
swfcdan

Looking for an E-bike

Post by swfcdan »

Having tried out e-bikes when a friend bought one recently, I was really impressed so have become really tempted to get one myself to deal with all the hills where I live!
I've tried the Carrera Crossfuse and really liked it (the Crossfire not nearly as much due to strong pedal resistance when not using motor), however at £1800 at Halfords it's out of my price range. I noticed in reviews that many people bought them when on sale earlier in the year for around £1300. However now Halfords seem low on stock and bringing out a new e-bike range soon, so it seems odd they were on sale months ago but not now?

I want one with the Bosch motor, does anyone have any other reccomendations more around the £1200-1300 mark? I'm not so interested in the new range coming out as imagine they will be out of my price range, so does anyone know of other quality mens e-bikes (hybrids) on sale elsewhere right now?

EDIT: Added as a response below about 2nd hand bikes:
I've considered 2nd hand ones but isn't having no warranty not recommended with an E-bike? I've heard they often can need taking in to fix electrics or motor etc, things a standard bike store won't fix. So I thought buying new with warranty was a must with an e-bike, for peace of mind and to avoid any expensive repairs. I had found a 2nd hand but hardly used Crossfuse bike available for £1200, but was put off by having no warranty for it.
Last edited by swfcdan on 18 May 2019, 8:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Looking for an E-bike

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Second-hand pre-loved bikes might be worth looking at, some people find they cannae get along with e-bikes
You could wait till the end of the season to get a discount
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
robgul

Post by robgul »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Second-hand pre-loved bikes might be worth looking at, some people find they cannae get along with e-bikes

I would steer well-clear of a secondhand ebike - you don't know how the battery has been treated and replacement could be 30% of the cost of the bike.

I can understand your desire for a Bosch but I think your price point is optimistic for a mid-engine machine that's any good - and maintenance costs are higher than hub motors (either front or back). Machines with a TranzX mid motor may be nearer your price.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
swfcdan

Post by swfcdan »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Second-hand pre-loved bikes might be worth looking at, some people find they cannae get along with e-bikes

I've considered 2nd hand ones but isn't having no warranty not recommended with an E-bike? I've heard they often can need taking in to fix electrics or motor etc, things a standard bike store won't fix. So I thought buying new with warranty was a must with an e-bike, for peace of mind and to avoid any expensive repairs. I had found a 2nd hand but hardly used Crossfuse bike available for £1200, but was put off by having no warranty for it.
amoto65

Post by amoto65 »

The Crossfuse is a great bike I have done about 100 mls on mine, I bought it to replace my Wisper 905se which I was selling but then ended up having a heart attack so have kept the Wisper until I get my fitness back as I can ghost pedal with it being a hub motor. I am not sure if warranties are transferable with Halfords, the prices might drop slightly over the Bank Holiday if Halfords have a sale and I certainly recommend them.
BertYardbrush

Post by BertYardbrush »

It's getting towards launch time for next year's bikes. you should be able to pick up a last year model or an ex demo for a reasonable price. If you could up your budget 2 or 3 hundred to £1500 you shouldn't have a problem.
Not what you're looking for but my LBS, Igloo Cycles, Chesterfield has an Orbea Gain, ex demo, 2018 D40 Shimano Claris, medium frame, for around £1195.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Try Motorcycle News ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
swfcdan

Post by swfcdan »

BertYardbrush wrote:It's getting towards launch time for next year's bikes. you should be able to pick up a last year model or an ex demo for a reasonable price. If you could up your budget 2 or 3 hundred to £1500 you shouldn't have a problem.
Not what you're looking for but my LBS, Igloo Cycles, Chesterfield has an Orbea Gain, ex demo, 2018 D40 Shimano Claris, medium frame, for around £1195.

Thanks, though I'm looking for a well known brand so I can check many reviews to check reliablity etc for e-bikes. DId take a look on their site but couldn't see the Orbea Gain you mentioned listed.
I'm wondering about warranty on 2nd hand e-bikes, have edited my OP to mention that.
BertYardbrush

Post by BertYardbrush »

I'm guessing you may live in Sheffield. You've probably been to JE James where they have a massive selection. Also, a couple of people I know have used Peak eBikes at Hassop Station. They have gone for Raleigh. One got a very well specced Mustang reduced to £1500.
BrightonRock

Post by BrightonRock »

For a Bosch powered bike you're going to struggle on 1500 budget. But it's not impossible. EBay is good for new ebikes at massive discount. Best bet.
BrightonRock

Post by BrightonRock »

Cube ebike (a very good make) for £1450

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3226563729
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Here you go.... less than £1500! https://www.bikester.co.uk/ortler-berge ... 01020.html

I have a similar bike, its brilliant

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
jack1

Post by jack1 »

Hi,I'v had 2 bikes from " On- Bike" Worcester, they are so helpful,nothing to much trouble,a great selection of bikes,give them a call as some bikes are on "offer" at the moment with (Bosch Motors) Martin and Mike will give you all the help you need.PS they do % percent on all there bikes :D 100% dealer.Regards Darrell.
hemo

Post by hemo »

On Bike will only deal with clients who buy from them ( or that use to be the case) have heard nothing to say they have changed.
Make sure the bike you buy does suit you and is the correct bike for you as a story a few years ago was a client returned a bike within days as they found it was unsuitable and was only offfered 60% of their money back as bike was deemed used.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hello there, One thing does trouble me, the price bracket you're working to is quite low? Just think about it, a £1'000 bike is compromise as it is, so add electric drive to the mix and thing won't tick all of the boxes.
Silk Purse & Sow's ear springs to mind.
I'm currently fitting a Bafang Mid-Drive Unit to one of my trikes, the bill for parts alone is £800, so you do the maths. But as my trike was more than a tad over your price bracket, so my expectation may be more achievable. Keep the wheels turning. TTFN MM