Ornamental displaying of a bike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
belgiangoth

Ornamental displaying of a bike

Post by belgiangoth »

We have a very old bike (wife's grandfather's - must be about 90 yo at least) which I have done up but it won't get ridden. We would like to hang it up, mounted vertically against a wall (so front wheel pointing towards the ceiling). I thought that I should just be able to hang it from the headtube from any appropriately sized hook.
Anyone done something similar and have any helpful thoughts/suggestions?
Thanks
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
Brucey

Re: Ornamental displaying of a bike

Post by Brucey »

left pedal off, handlebars turned, any kind of hook/strap that is strong enough will do...?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bagpussctc

Post by bagpussctc »

First thing is that you have your wifes permission to hang it up in the house, which you appear to have.
Make sure the wall is sound enough ie not a modern dry line one.Our house has these and they are a nightmare for fixing things to .
Best to remove pedals from the bicycle when displaying . Less chance of damage to walls and persons passing .
Check no oil etc can run out of hubs etc.
Have a look on line at the various methods of bike storage for flats etc.

I have a Frank Kirk in our dining room.
This is it prior to finding its way into the house. 8)
ImageFrank Kirk . Now finished . by rebalrid, on Flickr
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Off topic.
Frank Kirk magnesium frame.

When I was planning and scratching my head about a custom built bike maybe 1984/5, I thought very hard about the magnesium frame design. It appealed to me. :D
However, I went for the traditional approach and took a 531c Mercian. Made for me as an "off the shelf" design, but I specified the size, clearances, paintwork and braze-ons etc. Took delivery of it in 1986 and refurbished for its 21st birthday in 2007.

Part of me regrets it, but part of me realises that the magnesium frame idea never caught on or became mainstream. I expect that many of them snapped and bit the dust. I wouldn't be the man/cyclist I am today without my venerable Mercian - and I still ride it regularly.
Mick F. Cornwall
bagpussctc

Post by bagpussctc »

This one is a floor space filler {Dry lined walls} .It has never been ridden .Bought as a new old stock frame in 2006 .It then lived on top of a wardrobe in our bedroom until 2012 .I found the roundtoit,so started find components for it .Finally finished in 2013.It then found its way into dining end of 2013 . The good lady has even been known to dust in now and then. :oops:

I have even had a post on another forum from one of Franks daughters about it. {5th post down}

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... n#p2108325
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

bagpussctc wrote:First thing is that you have your wifes permission to hang it up in the house, which you appear to have.
Make sure the wall is sound enough ie not a modern dry line one.Our house has these and they are a nightmare for fixing things to .
Best to remove pedals from the bicycle when displaying . Less chance of damage to walls and persons passing .
Check no oil etc can run out of hubs etc.
Have a look on line at the various methods of bike storage for flats etc.

I have a Frank Kirk in our dining room.
This is it prior to finding its way into the house. 8)
ImageFrank Kirk . Now finished . by rebalrid, on Flickr

Two things I remember about Kirk frames, one was seeing a frame being drivern over by a Range rover on Tomorrows World and the other was one Sunday I was in a friend's bike shop and a customer brought one in and my friend grabbed the handlebars and saddle and twisted them out of line by two inches.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

The last few times (I don't go there that often) I have walked out of Paddington station, just past where the police van is uually parked at the top of the slope, there has been a Kirk bike locked to the railings by the road. No sure if it has been abandoned, or just gets left in the same place.
peetee

Post by peetee »

I have a Kirk framed MTB. It is so flexible under pedal pressure that the front mech does a downshift on its own!
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
soapbox

Post by soapbox »

I've a couple of bikes hanging on my living room walls (making use of wall space because of a lack of floor space). I made a couple of brackets from some junk angle iron to rest the wheels on, plus another screw/rawlbolt fixing in the wall to attach a piece of tape to hold the bike to the wall. The bike is stored there ready to ride, so no need to turn handlebars or take pedals off, and although it's function over style, it's almost become a feature on what would otherwise have been a bit of bare wall. Cheap, and easy to make if you have a hacksaw, a file, and a drill.
Attachments
IMG_2531.jpg
IMG_2530.jpg
IMG_2529.jpg
andrec

Post by andrec »

I live near a pub and noticed that there are always two brand new traditional style ladies bikes locked to the roadside railings outside during opening hours. I've since found out that they are owned by the pub and put there every day as part of the pubs decor along with various benches, large plant pots and lights which are stored inside the pub after closing time.