Helmets?

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
newcyclist19

Helmets?

Post by newcyclist19 »

I'm new to cycling and I've been looking to buy a helmet. I had a little search online and there are so many different types, I don't know where to begin! Can anyone recommend some good makes of cycle helmets please?
mjr

Re: Helmets?

Post by mjr »

There are none. Unless you've a particular need, such as a balance problem or cycling somewhere with clueless rule-makers, rejoice in not needing one. Cycling is relatively safe.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Warning: hemets are a controversial topic. We have a whole subforum for them under camapaigning & public policy. Have a look when you have a little time. viewforum.php?f=41
(posts on stuff already covered there will be moved to the subforum)

If you still feel you need one after delving into the helmet subforum, the most important criteria is that they fit correctly and are worn correctly. Brand doesn't matter for that. Just go to some shops and try them on. Some folks have a hard time finding one that suits their head shape. Others can wear any old thing.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
newcyclist19

Post by newcyclist19 »

Vorpal wrote:Warning: hemets are a controversial topic. We have a whole subforum for them under camapaigning & public policy. Have a look when you have a little time. viewforum.php?f=41

If you still feel you need one after delving into the helmet subforum, the most important criteria is that they fit correctly and are worn correctly. Brand doesn't matter for that. Just go to some shops and try them on. Some folks have a hard time finding one that suits their head shape. Others can wear any old thing.

Wow I had no idea they caused such consternation! Thank you for your advice, it is much appreciated.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Vorpal wrote:Just go to some shops and try them on. Some folks have a hard time finding one that suits their head shape. Others can wear any old thing.
This is the main issue.
Once I went bald, they all became uncomfortable, as no doubt my headshape is difficult anyway and baldness brought the discomfort to a head (if you pardon the pun!).
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

just dont get a cheap/bargain (fake) one off ebay.
I posted on YouTube a video where they tested a fake brand helmit and it came out rather bad

[youtube]alQY9MJr3o8[/youtube]

when you try one on you might want to allow for a thin or other wise cap ( for winter)
scottg

Post by scottg »

Third party test results, helmets that meet gummint specs,
still have differences in performance.

https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle- ... tings.html
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

scottg wrote:Third party test results, helmets that meet gummint specs,
still have differences in performance.

https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle- ... tings.html

A very good link. I got a specialized chamonix because it is the cheapest that gets five stars.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Leaving aside the arguments about whether you should be wearing one.

Basically, the more you pay the better features a helmet will have. It used to be the case that a more expensive helmet would have more vents and therefore be cooler to ride, but that is no longer the case since people became obsessed with aerodynamics - more expensive helmets are now more aero, but that may be at the cost of being hotter to wear because of less venting.

I would look at the bottom to mid-range helmets of the likes of Specialized, Bell and Giro. You MUST try on, as different manufacturers suit different shaped heads - I’m OK with Bell and Specialized, but can’t wear Giro or Met. Any helmet on sale at a UK retailer should meet the necessary safety standards.

Planet X have some good bargains, if you are prepared to buy online, but I wouldn’t unless you know the brand and have tried on a similar model.

I’m currently using a Specialized Echelon - about £50, cheaper if you shop around. The Specialized Align is only £30.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

TrevA wrote:Leaving aside the arguments about whether you should be wearing one.

Basically, the more you pay the better features a helmet will have. It used to be the case that a more expensive helmet would have more vents and therefore be cooler to ride, but that is no longer the case since people became obsessed with aerodynamics - more expensive helmets are now more aero, but that may be at the cost of being hotter to wear because of less venting.

I would look at the bottom to mid-range helmets of the likes of Specialized, Bell and Giro. You MUST try on, as different manufacturers suit different shaped heads - I’m OK with Bell and Specialized, but can’t wear Giro or Met. Any helmet on sale at a UK retailer should meet the necessary safety standards.

Planet X have some good bargains, if you are prepared to buy online, but I wouldn’t unless you know the brand and have tried on a similar model.

I’m currently using a Specialized Echelon - about £50, cheaper if you shop around. The Specialized Align is only £30.

Helmets are designed to absorb energy.

The more vents a helmet has the less functional material there is, secondly the remaining helmet has to be stiffer, to support the structure. Stiffer material is also absorbing less energy.

So they then put in a carbon fibre cage as what is left is no longer able to support the helmet.

Look at helmet pictures after an accident and see where the failures are.... almost always at one of the weak points caused bythe poor design.

There is not a single helmet on the market these days that passes SNell B95 which used to be the basic standard.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

newcyclist19 wrote:
Vorpal wrote:Warning: hemets are a controversial topic. We have a whole subforum for them under camapaigning & public policy. Have a look when you have a little time. viewforum.php?f=41

Wow I had no idea they caused such consternation! Thank you for your advice, it is much appreciated.

Sometimes you read an OP and just know that blue touchpaper's going to be a fizzin :lol:
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Look at the pros and cons, you have every right to wear a helmet, just make sure it is an informed choice, not a result of the emotive blackmail that forms so much of the pro-helmet argument

1. Helmet Standards are important, the requirement for sale is "EN1078", but that is a very low standard. The helmets that have passed the toughest testing will bear a Snell certification
2. MIPS is relatively new technology, but claims by having a second layer that slides, it reduces rotational injury. This is still under debate
3. Helmets with lots of vents are weaker and have less ability to absorb energy. Also, they tend to have "snag points" where the edges of vents or sharp angles catch on the road surface in case of an accident. This can cause rotational injury. The motto is "smoother, rounder, safer"
4. Fit is essential. In the same way, as shoe manufacturers come up in different shapes for the smae sizes, so do helmets. One company has wide helmets, but short, another long, but narrow. The adjustment cannot solve these issues entirely, despite claims. The only way to find a helmet that suits and fits is by trial and error. Trying them on and ensuring they are comfortable and fit properly is the only way. Poor fit and adjustment can, in fact, make injuries worse
5. NEVER buy second hand, car boot sales or eBay. Helmets that are dropped or involved in even minor impacts can have unseen damage. This means that the limited protection could be compromised. Even if the seller makes claims, you have no idea of the history of that helmet.
6. Much of the cost is "fashion". Today's modern helmet endorsed by Joe Bloggs of "Team Good Cyclist" will be expensive now, but in two years time will be average, and in three years cheap. Cost is not an indicator of performance. A SnellB90 helmet can be obtained for £30
Last edited by Cunobelin on 19 Jul 2019, 7:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
whoof

Post by whoof »

TrevA

Post by TrevA »

The Specialized Align and Echelon, mentioned in my earlier post, are both Snell B90 certified.

https://www.smf.org/certlist/std_B-90A_ ... -90C_B-95C
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

newcyclist19 wrote:

They don’t generally.... but do on this Forum :roll: