Padded Cycling Shorts - What Do You Wear Under - How Often Do You Wash

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Witterings

Padded Cycling Shorts - What Do You Wear Under - How Often Do You Wash

Post by Witterings »

Title pretty much says it all but whilst I wear underpants below mine I came across a comment in a thread a while ago that inferred you shouldn't wear anything under them.

Have I totally got this wrong and am I doing the wrong thing and interested to hear how often people wash theirs .... either with or without underpants below???

I tend to do mine at Xmas ..... :lol: OK .... and maybe a few more times a year as well :D
keyboardmonkey

Re: Padded Cycling Shorts - What Do You Wear Under - How Often Do You Wash

Post by keyboardmonkey »

a) nothing
b) each time they are worn, ASAP after a ride.

Further reading (scroll down to the section ‘Washing’)...

https://road.cc/content/feature/237613- ... shorts?amp
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

What to wear underneath - nothing. Far more comfortable.
How often to wash. If its really hot weather, after each day ride. If it is more normal weather, I recon after 2 day rides is OK as I don't sweat much at all. Occasionally on tour 3 days if washing/drying looks tricky due to weather contraints.
Mine last for years, usually start to fail by the lycra fibres wearing out (you see the white ends of the broken fibres, resultant fabric looks more like a black net curtain when held up to the light (not sure what it looks like when worn.....) Such shorts get a few more years service in cool/cold weather when I wear them underneath lycra longs. They are not quite a confortabe (slightly loose/baggy where worn) as un worn shorts, but you get more life out of them.
Normally the padded lining out lasts the shorts themselves.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Nothing is the only way ... I sometimes use a little Sudocreme in the skin folds at the top of the legs.
After a ride i throw them into the shower and tread them while i shower, wring them out and air dry .... simples.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I wear these. For the first tour I wore my cotton underpants as well (for, in my then view, hygiene) and thought that the expensive padded pants were money wasted. Then I read the instructions and what a positive transformation!

https://www.alpkit.com/products/kepler-padded-boxer-mens

The alpkit pants are merino so last for ages without being washed. In winter I wear merino long johns as well and on top Rohan walking trousers.
John
whoof

Post by whoof »

Witterings wrote:Title pretty much says it all but whilst I wear underpants below mine I came across a comment in a thread a while ago that inferred you shouldn't wear anything under them.

Have I totally got this wrong and am I doing the wrong thing and interested to hear how often people wash theirs .... either with or without underpants below???

I tend to do mine at Xmas ..... :lol: OK .... and maybe a few more times a year as well :D

Nothing underneath
Washed every time I wear them.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

keyboardmonkey wrote:a) nothing
b) each time they are worn, ASAP after a ride.....

+1
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
RickH

Post by RickH »

WARNING:HERETIC ALERT!

Back in the day when the chamois was genuinely that, & you needed to use chamois cream on it (rather than yourself) to soften it after washing most people, me included, wore nothing.

When I returned to cycling after a break (work & "dad's taxi" had got in the way) I had been doing some running & had some thin lycra undershorts that I had bought for running. I thought I would give them a try under my cycling shorts & found, for me, it made things much more comfortable so stuck with that.

Most of the modern pads, again from my experience of the ones I've bought, have an antibacterial treatment. I've found I can wear the same pair of shorts for up to 6 or 7 days without washing (that may be reduced in very warm conditions), just change the undershorts each day. 6 undershorts pack in the same space as 1 pair of shorts & they dry much quicker if you do need to wash them.

I've also never found the need to apply anything to my derriere with this regime.

That's my take on it.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

reohn2 wrote:
b) each time they are worn, ASAP after a ride.....

+1

+2 ......... though I am in agreement with RickH that they can be worn over and over again so long as it's not too sweaty.
Mick F. Cornwall
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

There is no right or wrong about it, more preference.
It's really what works for you.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

a) nothing
b) after a day of use. - Not every time I wear them as that would mean wearing one pair to get to work and another on the way home.

When on tour I normally take three pairs - one to wear, one clean and dry in my panniers, and one being washed. The latter is washed on arrival at a campsite, hung out overnight and then fastened on top of my panniers to dry during the next day's ride. Obviously, this routine needs altering if the weather is too bad.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The reason I wear cycling shorts is because I find underwear uncomfortable. Once I start to sweat, it either chafes or pinches. So, Underwear & normal clothes are fine for short journeys or popping to the shops, but not longer journeys.

They are designed to be worn with nothing underneath, but you should do whatever is comfortable for you. If you wear underwear underneath, they don't need washing as often.

If you can cycle in normal underwear, maybe you don't need to botherr with cycling shorts?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I use thin underwear under my shorts. Much easier to wash when on tour. Less of a consideration at home, but still nicer as far as I am concerned.

I wonder if the divide here is not smelly shorts V smelly pants, but riding type and style. Maybe people should declare what sort of cyclist they are.

Me pants under. Riding flat bat, leisurely pace so the odd re-jiggle no problem. Lots of long distance touring in very hot climates where cleanliness is essential. My vitals get at least 2 showers a day. Underpants washed daily.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Loose shorts and boxers for me. When I used to wear cycling shorts I’d wash them each night while touring with nothing under. Now a warn in Brooks has made padding unnecessary and loose clothing reduces the heat and sweating which is one of the main causes of rubbing.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

b) each time they are worn, ASAP after a ride.

Further reading (scroll down to the section ‘Washing’)...

https://road.cc/content/feature/237613- ... shorts?amp

+1

bit pointless having the pad if you wear underkeks!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!