Kinesis conundrum

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
reohn2

Re: Kinesis conundrum

Post by reohn2 »

Brucey wrote:
Brianjeff50 wrote:I am tending to think that as I need a mini-stem and a maxi-layback seat post to get me near the right position then I’m probably on the wrong size frame.
(Especially as I have relatively normal proportions.)

I don't think that conclusion is justified; as predicted the seat angle doesn't vary much between sizes (in this case not at all, in fact) and likewise (again as predicted) the top tube varies by a footling 6mm between medium-ish sizes.

Likewise the geometry isn't unusual for this kind of bike. You may have relatively normal proportions but you may prefer a riding position for which this frame design is not intended.

My usual advice is -by hook or by crook- at least get riding position comfortable somehow on this frame (by whatever means necessary) before you take the plunge and buy another frame. Otherwise it could be another expensive mistake.

cheers

+1
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
slowster

Post by slowster »

Brianjeff50 wrote:I need a mini-stem

I would not be so sure of that. From 531Colin's guidance:
I wish I had a pound for every time a rider has told me they need a short reach. There is always a “reason” people need a short reach.....they have a “bad back” or their shoulders/neck/wrists/hands hurt. However, all these things can be caused by having too much weight on your hands, and having the saddle too far forward throws your weight forward onto your hands. Get your saddle height and setback right first, then you can start thinking about reach to the handlebars.

reohn2 wrote:
Brucey wrote:My usual advice is -by hook or by crook- at least get riding position comfortable somehow on this frame (by whatever means necessary) before you take the plunge and buy another frame. Otherwise it could be another expensive mistake.

+1

+1

How sure can you be that you would buy the 'right' bike that fitted you best if you went shopping for a bike now? You may know that the fit of your current bike is wrong for you, but you don't yet know exactly what position is right for you. It seems very possible that you need to have the saddle back further, but without actually trying that position - ideally for a while to allow your body to become accustomed to it and to see if it feels right after longer rides with no aches - you won't know for certain. Moreover, there may be more to it than just saddle position: it is likely that once you have got the saddle in the position you need/like/want, you will then need to make some alterations to the front.

Once you know exactly how much saddle setback behind the bottom bracket you need, and where you want the handlebars and shifter hoods in relation to the saddle (horizontal distance and height), it's fairly straightforward to determine whether any potential replacement bike will accommodate that.

If the Humpert Vario seat post, and possibly one or two different length/angle stems as well, are the price of being able to experiment with your set up sufficiently to get the position 'right', I would consider that money well spent. You could get a professional bike fit, but if it tells you what you already suspect, i.e. your saddle needs to be much further back, you won't be able to act on that information without something like the Humpert Vario, unless you place absolute faith in the bike fit and buy a new bike based on its recommendations without trying the new position first to see if it does stop the aches etc.
Brianjeff50

Post by Brianjeff50 »

Just thought I’d provide an update. I decided that rather than splash out on a new bike or a variety of bits I’d start by spending ninety quid on a bike fitting session with Tim Williams (Perfect Condition) in Cambridge. I found him through his interesting blog posts. We spent a good couple of hours with me on the bike on a trainer while he tweaked everything from cleats - further back - to seat height, set back, bar height and stem length. All with the aim of getting a comfortable, unstressed, efficient position.
The result is I’m now about three inches further back thanks to a set-back post and a saddle with more rail adjustment, higher too, and with a longer, lower stem to accommodate a ‘long back’. It’s early days but I’m certainly a whole lot more comfortable.
And if I do fancy a new bike I’ve got a set of measurements to make sure I get one that fits!
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Attaboy!