Kit check - 11 days to go (1st August)

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
plumby

Kit check - 11 days to go (1st August)

Post by plumby »

Hi all,

Anything I'm missing? Taking a gamble on not taking a spare tyre as I have new 32mm Marathon Pluses. Nor am I taking evening shoes or cycling trousers.

Current weight is 4kg including the weight of the saddle bag (Carradice Camper Longflap which is 1.1kg)

Tools
mini pump
spare links for chain
spare tubes x2
extra long tyre levers x2
multi-tool
chain lube
puncture repair patches
cable ties
chain tool
gaffer tape on pencil
very thin screwdriver (removing shards out of tyre if I puncture)
lock and key
disc brake allen key
saddle bag allen key
spare saddle bag hex screw

Electricals
phone and charger
gps and charger
anker (spare battery)
bike light charger
headphones

Spare clothes
pantsx1
socks x1
evening t-shirt
evening thin trousers
arm warmers
spare cycle top
gloves x1
headband x1

Bike wear
cycle bib/shorts x1
cycle tops x1
gore-tex coat
headbandx1
helmet
shoes
cycling socks x1

Other
sun cream
sunglasses
shower gel small
toothbrush
toothpaste
contact lenses
anti-chafing cream
mini deodorant
nurofen express
glasses
cash
bank cards
Paulatic

Re: Kit check - 11 days to go (1st August)

Post by Paulatic »

Bike bottles
Something warm ?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Panic paper?
Or a big dock leaf! :lol: :lol: :lol:
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Crikes I am struggling to get below 8 kgs camping mind you.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Tights?
I wore tights over my shirts for comfort and warmth in Scotland.

Small pack a wet wipes.

Can be used as panic paper or mechanical clean up!

Cheers James
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

Are you not doubling up on a few things here:

plumby wrote:Tools
multi-tool - if this is any good, do you really need the following?

chain tool
very thin screwdriver (removing shards out of tyre if I puncture)
disc brake allen key
saddle bag allen key

Electricals
phone and charger
gps and charger
anker (spare battery)
bike light charger
headphones

Go mini on these:

plumby wrote:Other
sun cream - decant into a small bottle
sunglasses
shower gel small - blag it from the B&B
toothbrush
toothpaste - get some free samples from the dentist - nice and small
contact lenses
anti-chafing cream - you can buy Buttr in sachets - do you need a tub?
mini deodorant - for whose benefit?
nurofen express
glasses
cash - only folding stuff - try to use plastic (or Andriod/Apple pay)
bank cards

I took a small amount of "sports wash" for washing my kit - but I am a bit particular about what/how I wash my riding gear. If you are not bothered then if you can blag getting your kit washed then use whatever is on offer...

I also took some flip flops, the lightest and cheapest I could find. Guess it depends what your riding shoes are, I had road shoes and was happy to get them off at the end of each day.
Last edited by FasterFerret on 21 Jul 2019, 11:44pm, edited 2 times in total.
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

Paulatic wrote:Something warm ?

Good suggestion.

I took a relatively cheap down jacket from Decathlon - was light, packed down small, was good for evenings and reassured me that I could stay warm if I had a crash or mechanical and needed to await rescue...
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

Don't underestimate the amount of chain lube you might need if you get wet weather...
shadwellrhino

Post by shadwellrhino »

Spare shorts (especially since you’re using chamois cream)?
whoof

Post by whoof »

A piece of string and a few pegs for hanging my washed shorts, tops & socks in the B+B bathroom overnight. If they need some more drying the next day can be pegged to the cables/bags on the bike.
I only take travel wash if I'm camping in a B+B I used the shower gel/handwash provided.

I find a buff a lightweight and very versitile piece of clothing.

I carry 1 ml (about 3 gram including plastic container) of chainlube. Will easily do two oilings.

Each to their own but I wouldn't take two headbands and one pair of shorts.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Personally, unless the light trousers for evening can also be worn on the bike, I would make sure to have some longs with. I've met some cold rainy days in Scotland in August where I had on every stitch of clothing with (including winter tights) and still half froze.

Also I agree with folks saying to take more shorts. I usually carry three total. They mostly dry overnight when washed at the end of a day, wrung out well, and hung up. But they don't always dry, and I really dislike putting on wet shorts. Form a hygiene perspective it's best if they dry completely. The 3rd pair is in case I can't wash them at the end of the day for some reason; you can get away with two pair if you don't feel you need to carry 'emergency shorts'.

Here are a couple of threads that may give you some ideas. They are for camping, so some items aren't needed.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=85590
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48438
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
PH

Post by PH »

Map - I'm a GPS fan but I wouldn't set out on tour without a map of the area both as a backup and as an oversight of the area if you need to change plans. For an E2E it doesn't need to be that detailed, the relevant pages cut out of a road atlas will do fine, maybe with your route highlighted on it.
Basic first aid stuff - just something to stop the bleeding and a couple of antiseptic wipes or spray and cloth.
Tablets - along with the Nurofen, I also take some paracetamol and Imodium
More socks - I like fresh socks and can't be bothered washing and drying them every day.
Leg warmers - easier than longs for changeable conditions, but as others have said it can get chilly even in August.
Couple of J-cloths - I don't travel without them, flannel, chain wipe, general clean up...
Spare carrying capacity - if your bag is full, take a way of carrying some extras, I have a light CUK goody bag that has been useful several times.

Extra footwear is something I can never decide about, it's the bulk rather than the weight I resent, though not having something on a series of wet days is for me miserable. I'm currently using Crocs - light, comfortable and they can be tied on the bike rather than in a pack.

4 kg is pretty light, it's a shame the bag accounts for 25% of it.
Without wishing to appear rude - I'd rather carry and extra 5kg than do it on M+'s, YMMV but they are not my idea of a comfortable tyre to ride that distance on.
plumby

Post by plumby »

Hi all,

Thanks a bunch for your replies. Panic paper! :lol:

So...

For tissues, i'm thinking i'll just take a 'scrunch' of toilet roll from whatever B&B i'm in. Bike bottles are a done deal (x2). I also have 2 storage bottles as well which are housing all my tools, 2 tubes, lube and sun tan lotion. Probably accounts for 2kg hence whilst my saddle bag is only 4kg all in.

I've reduced into smaller pots: lube, sun tan lotion, chamois cream, etc. Also purchased travel sizes of toothpaste and mini-deodorant.

Multi-tool is not that great hence need for extra allen keys. One charger will do the lot except the phone - thanks for that.

Really unsure whether to take cycling trousers - it surprises me that people are saying it is that cold in August in Scotland. But you're the guys that have done it so will heed the advice.

I'm staying at home on the 5th night (halfway) so intend to get everything washed then. Think i'll take a spare pair of shorts as well.

Leg warmers - yes, that's a thought I hadn't considered - thank you.

I have some very light sandals which I think i'll take. They are certainly good enough for an evening meal in 'Spoons.

M+'s. They are not comfortable but they are bombproof and reliable. in over 25k miles I've had 2 punctures (different sets of course). They seem to be a bit marmite, personally I have no real issue with them except they are weighty.

Decided against paper maps as I have a GPS (battery life 15 hours), a phone with offline maps and a battery charger. If I had a map i'd rip pages out but not buying one for that purpose. I did originally have Imodium on my list but took it off. Not sure why as there is no weight!

Love the string/pegs idea- that is a goer. How long do bib shorts take to dry out I wonder.
PH

Post by PH »

plumby wrote:How long do bib shorts take to dry out I wonder.

If you wring them out in a towel first they usually dry overnight.
I've done a couple of tours where I've worn my favourite bibs every day and carried a pair of lighter shorts as a back up.
plumby

Post by plumby »

Thanks PH. By that do you mean wrapping them in a towel, standing on them, removing the towel and then hanging?