Reading to Bristol - Kennet & Avon - Things To See

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Witterings

Reading to Bristol - Kennet & Avon - Things To See

Post by Witterings »

I've my 1st ever mini tour booked and 3 of us are going this Thursday, Friday, Saturday thanks to one of the members on here suggesting it as a route.

Has anybody else done it and if so and idea on what's worth stopping off to see and scenic places to eat a sandwich etc on route without taking us miles off of the main route??

Again if anyone's done it ... gravel bike or 29er??
simonhill

Re: Reading to Bristol - Kennet & Avon - Things To See

Post by simonhill »

The steam pumping station at Crofton.

Canal Museum in Devizes.

The Caen Hill flight of locks.

The waterside cafe in Bradford does excellent breakfasts.

If you happen to be in Pewsey in the afternoon try the wonderful little micro pub, The Shed.

The Barge pub is closed, or was last year. The nearby Golden Swan has good food and camping.
Last edited by simonhill on 22 Jul 2019, 6:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

simonhill wrote:The Barge pub is closed, or was last year.

If that's the Barge in Honeystreet near Devizes, then it won't be missed. At least not as camping - unless you like party sites with bongos till 4a.m., random fires, dogs running up tents... If you do, then it was the place for you! The pub did decent food and beer though.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I mentioned it because it was a useful canal side camp site and may still be listed somewhere as such. (The Barge, Honeysteet)

Mid week it was usually fairly quiet, but did get very lively at the weekend.

In the early days of the crop circles, it was fun with interesting people, but went downhill in latter years, as you say.

By the end it was a right dump with poorly kept overpriced beer and so so food. Plus a landlord who didn't pay the VAT. Nonetheless, I have some great memories over the years and saw some stunning crop circles.
hamster

Post by hamster »

At the foot of Caen Hill there is a decent campsite in the farm.
further

Post by further »

The Barge is open again, going on Wednesday for a couple of nights, been one of my favourites for a long time.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

.....but is the campsite?

The campsite had been closed for a while before the pub closed.
whoof

Post by whoof »

If you like swimming you can swim at Claverton Weir near Bath. Or in the Avon just after Saltford, as you cross the Avon look to your left and you will see a jetty usually With some narrow boats. Just after the bridge there is a path leading down to the river and a picnic area. It's actually easier to get in and out of the river from the field beyond the picnic area.

If you like steam trains there's the Avon Valley Railway at Bitton, you go through the car park on the route.

If you are a Doctor Who fan you can do your business in a Tardis at the Warmley waiting rooms cafe. It has a Tardis shaped toilet.

When you get to Bristol I would recommend St Nicholas's Market for something to eat. There are a range of food stalls/outlets on the side with a wide variety of food at good prices.
Witterings

Post by Witterings »

We've got accommodation booked so no need for a campsite but cheers for all teh other suggestions ... loads of things of interest there and much appreciated :D :D
further

Post by further »

"...but is the campsite?

The campsite had been closed for a while before the pub closed."
Yes it is open.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Wadworths brewery in Devizes. Make sure you see the horses and drays!

Nice cafe at the top of the Caen Hill locks.

There's a camping and caravanning club site next to the canal at Seend. On the opposite side of the lane there's a tiny little place seling excellent cider - its Wilkins Farmhouse Cider, pop in for a tasting and a chat, But you won't escape without buying! Contact them for the location and opening times, ask for the one near Devizes which is not the main farm http://wilkinscider.com/contact-us/ It's Spout Lane you are looking for. Near Sells Green SN12 6RN

At the end of Spout Lane at its junction with the A361 there's a nice pub with a campsite behind it , or if you stay on the canal going west there's another nice pub, the Barge Inn, Seend. The nearby bridge has signs for another brewery but I can't remember the details - maybe its just a pub called "Brewery Inn" or somesuch.

Look out for some fantastic aqueducts along the way, stone-built (Bath Stone) - west of Bradford-on-Avon, the Avoncliff Aqueduct.

Almost forgot - look out for the Wadworth pub sings along the way, if you do visit the brewery don't miss the workshop where they paint and refurbish them.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Witterings

Post by Witterings »

There's a section from Hungerford to Devizes where the route says on country lanes rather than traffic free towpath .... if you wanted to stay on the towpath is it possible and are there and negatives in doing so????
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

As far as I remember you can cycle all the way on the towpath. You certainly can from Pewsey.

Apart from the last bit into Devizes, most of it is just grass so can be a bit bumpy in the dry and soggy with muddy patches in the wet.

Sometimes the quiet parallel lanes are easier cycling. When I did it all I cycled one way exclusively on the towpath, and mixed and matched on the way back..

Coincidentally I am in Devizes at the moment and will no doubt be cycling a bit of the K&A.

Apparently it is a steaming weekend at Crofton Beam Engine, if you want to stop on your way.
Witterings

Post by Witterings »

simonhill wrote:As far as I remember you can cycle all the way on the towpath. You certainly can from Pewsey.

Apart from the last bit into Devizes, most of it is just grass so can be a bit bumpy in the dry and soggy with muddy patches in the wet.

Sometimes the quiet parallel lanes are easier cycling. When I did it all I cycled one way exclusively on the towpath, and mixed and matched on the way back..

Coincidentally I am in Devizes at the moment and will no doubt be cycling a bit of the K&A.

Apparently it is a steaming weekend at Crofton Beam Engine, if you want to stop on your way.

Brilliant .. cheers for that and that was certainly one of the stops we were thinking of so am 90% we'll be there :D
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Bath!