Cycling: not Hereford, not anywhere?

reohn2

Re: Cycling: not Hereford, not anywhere?

Post by reohn2 »

There is another way:- https://vimeo.com/76207227
But it needs the will of national and local authorities,sadly lacking in thenUK
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

So you just ignore the ban and break the law. How lovely it must be to be rich and unafraid of whatever fines they levy!

I hadn’t meant my words to be interpreted in that way, sorry if I’ve mislead you. Always be mindful of the law and never openly flout it. I’m more mindful of the spirit of the law than the details ....... if you’re cautious and sensible in what you do then few people will question what you do because what you do isn’t particularly visible and it isn’t having any material effect. For what it’s worth I’m not rich, I have been poor and I do know what it is like to worry about having too little money to pay the bills. Whilst natural I’ve found that fear and many other negative emotions are a waste of valuable effort, I find it best to channel my efforts into managing issues ....
Last edited by Carlton green on 22 Jul 2019, 6:59pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
horizon

Post by horizon »

fausto copy wrote:

And why Cyril Haearn wanted to revisit this topic, Lords knows.

It wasn't he, it was Richard Fairhurst who raised it and I provided the link. And yes, I think we need to revisit it. No group of people (i.e. I presume the local Conservative party) has the right to strangle a town.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
mjr

Post by mjr »

Carlton green wrote:Always be mindful of the law and never openly flout it.

So more like flout it sneakily around the edges, a sort of clandestine cycling?

Carlton green wrote:I’m more mindful of the spirit of the law than the details ....... if you’re cautious and sensible in what you do then few people will question what you do because what you do isn’t particularly visible and it isn’t having any material effect.

But some of those few tend to be the police officers or council wardens asked to enforce these bans. Do you feel that the cyclists trying to ride National 12 through Peterborough or that round-the-world chap in Bedford have any material effect?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

mjr wrote:
Carlton green wrote:Always be mindful of the law and never openly flout it.

So more like flout it sneakily around the edges, a sort of clandestine cycling?

Carlton green wrote:I’m more mindful of the spirit of the law than the details ....... if you’re cautious and sensible in what you do then few people will question what you do because what you do isn’t particularly visible and it isn’t having any material effect.

But some of those few tend to be the police officers or council wardens asked to enforce these bans. Do you feel that the cyclists trying to ride National 12 through Peterborough or that round-the-world chap in Bedford have any material effect?

Sneaky, well I wouldn’t have used that term but if you must then that word will do.

Why be unkind to Police Officers and Council Wardens, they don’t want to catch you doing something that breaks the law so why do it in their CCTV or sight? All they want is an easy life where folk just get on peacefully.

I know nothing about cyclists trying to ride the National 12 through Peterborough or that round-the-world chap in Bedford.

Would it be OK to return towards the original post now?
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Carlton green wrote:I know nothing about cyclists trying to ride the National 12 through Peterborough or that round-the-world chap in Bedford.

Would it be OK to return towards the original post now?

Please do. Here's the closing point and question:
horizon wrote:pedestrians hold an ace card: one of their number was killed this year by an errant cyclist in the pedestrianised zone. If that is used as a reason to ban cycling then I presume (on the same logic) that the whole of the A49 through Herefordshire faces closure as well. But it doesn’t.

So cycling is rejected in Hereford. And if there, then what future does it really have as a better means of transport anywhere in the UK?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Cycling: not Hereford, but Herefordshire

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Had some of my very best cycling in north Herefordshire many years ago
Got a booklet of old churches in the county, there are more than 200
Wouldn't bother visiting the metropolises of Leominster, Ledbury mind :wink:
Used to go over the big hill by Pencombe*, have lunch in the bus shelter, back over the hill to England
*Penycwm, Welsh
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Hereford is not unique. Much of the centre of Nottingham is pedestrianised and cycling is banned during the day on many of those streets, quite rightly in some cases, but not all. There is one cycleable route from east to west and no route from north to south, so you have take your chances on the urban raceway that is Maid Marian Way/Canal St/Parliament St. The latter is mostly closed off to cars but there are plenty of buses waiting to mow you down.

This despite the City Council being quite pro-cycling, recently spending millions on segregated cycle ways to get you to the city centre from the suburbs, there is still no safe/legal way to cross the city on a bike.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

mjr wrote:
...... Here's the closing point and question:

horizon wrote:pedestrians hold an ace card: one of their number was killed this year by an errant cyclist in the pedestrianised zone. If that is used as a reason to ban cycling then I presume (on the same logic) that the whole of the A49 through Herefordshire faces closure as well. But it doesn’t.

So cycling is rejected in Hereford. And if there, then what future does it really have as a better means of transport anywhere in the UK?

Yes, on the face of it it doesn’t make sense does it. However we all know that seemingly rational decisions do not always stand close scrutiny and that closure of the A49 would have massive negative consequences where as a cycle ban in a pedestrianised area is a very mild and targeted (in terms of location) measure that's intended to counter a now ‘demonstrated’ hazard. It’s frustrating that an idiot on a bike makes things bad for the rest of use. However motorists are banned altogether from pedestrianised areas because of their safety record there.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I am quite glad not to cycle through my mediaeval town centre, it is just not suitable for that
I leave my machine on the edge of the CBD and walk!
I cycle neatly everywhere so it is nice to walk occasionally :wink:
Given up driving
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

The attitude over the channel seems to be completely different; I've been through dozens of medieval towns in 8 countries - the only place I can remember with any bike ban was Venice!

[I'm not saying that there aren't ANY ped zones on the continent ... but they can't be very common compared to dear old Blighty.)
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Perhaps you should ask who is in charge then?
MP is Jesse Norman.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Norman

Proper old school. Eton and Oxford.
Landed gentry.
Supporter of Rees Mogg.
And owner no doubt of a Range Rover?

I imagine as progressive in thinking as a turd.