Select Committee calls for better cycling policies.

Mike Sales

Select Committee calls for better cycling policies.

Post by Mike Sales »

Government leadership and ambition required to champion walking and cycling

The economic, human and environmental costs of inactivity, climate change, air pollution and traffic congestion are huge.

In Active Travel: increasing levels of walking and cycling in England, the Transport Committee calls for leadership from Government through more ambitious targets and increased funding. Ministers must signal to local authorities and the public that active travel is a priority with long-term benefits for individuals and the country as a whole.

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmselect/cmtrans/1487/148702.htm

Yet another report reaches the obvious conclusions.
I expect its recommendations will get as much attention as all the rest.
That is, lip service but no real change in transport policies.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mjr

Re: Select Committee calls for better cycling policies.

Post by mjr »

Yes, some of the guidance in the UK is first class... but itˋs all guidance and not requirements so it is purely theoretical. More ambitious targets, leadership and signalling is not enough. Legislation of some sort seems necessary to force highways agencies and departments to provide and it is a total failure by this select committee not to point that out.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

mjr wrote:Yes, some of the guidance in the UK is first class... but itˋs all guidance and not requirements so it is purely theoretical. More ambitious targets, leadership and signalling is not enough. Legislation of some sort seems necessary to force highways agencies and departments to provide and it is a total failure by this select committee not to point that out.

Plus one.

With regard to shared use of the highways I’d like to see the physical size of cars limited so that more space (width) is available for other road users like cyclists. Let’s get Chelsea Tractors and other overly large cars off of the road, small and medium size cars are perfectly adequate for almost everybody and if you need something bigger for business use or transporting say a large family then apply for a permit.

As part of the planning application process I’d like to see every new domestic property being built being required to have some cycle parking provision before they can have car parking. I believe that new build commercial property already has a cycle parking requirement.

As part of learning to drive a car I’d like to include elements of cycling awareness. Cycling before learning to drive gave me an education and awareness that others would benefit from gaining too. Virtually anyone should be allowed to cycle (no licence needed). However - like passing the Highway Code exam first - before taking a practical car test some suitable basic cycling experience should need to be validated.
Last edited by Carlton green on 24 Jul 2019, 10:00am, edited 3 times in total.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mike Sales wrote:......I expect its recommendations will get as much attention as all the rest......

That'll be about right.
Plenty talk but no walk(or cycling)more meaningless politrickal rhetoric,as we slowly choke.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden