FILUMS ..to see.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Vorpal

Re: FILUMS ..to see.

Post by Vorpal »

Spinners wrote:The scotch accent is notoriously difficult.

I can do a reasonable Ardbeg, but my Glenlivet is fleeting...
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

merseymouth wrote:Hi Folk, Surely it is a "Scots" accent?

Of course it is. I underlined the word scotch following Cyril Haearn's misuse use of the word in the preceding post (three weeks ago).

MM, agree about the film "Yesterday" - must catch it before it's gone.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Vorpal :D , I envisage you embracing a measure of "Highland Park"? Savour the fragrance, hold on the the expected finish.
Don't think you would be salty enough to tolerate Islay malts! IGICB MM
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Saw "Yesterday" last week - an absolute hoot.

Never heard "Help" performed with such feeling, though you need to watch the film and get the context to appreciate it!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

'Annihilation' (2018) starring Natalie Portman and Jennifer Jason Leigh

Portman plays an ex-military academic whose 'black-op' husband goes missing but unexpectedly re-appears one year later in a confused state with no memory of what has happened to him and how he got back to their home. His health deteriorates and en-route to hospital the ambulance is hijacked by the military and Portman discovers that her husband (now in a coma) has emerged from a mysterious alien zone called 'the shimmering' that is slowly expanding into the surrounding countryside of an American backwater. Successive teams have entered 'the shimmering' but failed to report back so Portman volunteers to join an all-female team to enter in an attempt to save her husband. A mish-mash of Arrival, Aliens, Prometheus and The Thing and although a bit gory it still has a more supernatural feel to it than pure horror. A real marmite film this but we quite enjoyed it. 7/10.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

rmurphy195 wrote:Saw "Yesterday" last week - an absolute hoot.

Never heard "Help" performed with such feeling, though you need to watch the film and get the context to appreciate it!

I watched it last night, really enjoyed it.

Couple of things.
Where they were sat in Lime St, coming out of the cafe and turning left would most definitely not get you to the taxi rank.
Where did that couple get the yellow submarine from? Given it was THE yellow submarine they couldn't possibly have found one.

I also found myself wondering just how well the songs would actually do if released now.

Good film though.

Oh and the guy that played the old JL was ace - I believed it.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

kwackers wrote:.....
(I want to rewatch Babylon 5 which was something else I loved but I'm afraid it isn't going to stand a rewatch).

A couple of years ago a Freeview TV channel repeated loads of them and I recorded them and am gradually re-watching them and I really enjoy them.

Ian
landsurfer

Filums to see ... "Inspired to Ride"

Post by landsurfer »

Featuring Mike Hall ... and a cast of .. 45 ... :)

I have just sat and watched this filum ....
It was a joy.
Slow and gentle, considering its about the Trans America Race ....
Sad .....in some ways.
The sound track is lovely, the whole film an experience.
Am I Inspired to Ride ... ??

I have been for the last 45 years ..
But still ..

Wonderful film, 90 minutes of your life well spent ....

I paid 99p to rent it off Prime, bargain ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Ripper Street with Matthew Macfayden

This is not a film but a TV series. I picked up the first series on Blu Ray from CEX cheap ( £1 I think) 8 episodes of 1 hr each. I had never heard of this series before. Deals with the police after the ripper murders in the east end, some of the stories are ripper wannabes or mistaken cases of his return, as the ripper casts a long shadow. One story inspired by Dickens Fagen with children street gangs. A great deal of brutality. Lots of corpses and blood and guts. London is presented as a real cess pit. Glad to not been alive then. Very atmospheric. I wonder where they filmed it.

I now need to get the other seasons

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... n-thriller
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Just saw theTolkien biographical film about his youth, very good, he cycles through Oxford near the end, Plus One!
Small minus: the lads at King Edwards school in Birmingham already had Oxford accents :wink:
Didnae bother seeing Yesterday, the storyline seems a bit bizarre and far-fetched
Beetles are fascinating creatures, mind
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Didnae bother seeing Yesterday, the storyline seems a bit bizarre and far-fetched
Beetles are fascinating creatures, mind

It's not just far fetched, it's impossible.
But then so are most of the films I watch so I didn't have that baggage and really enjoyed it.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Psamathe wrote:
(I want to rewatch Babylon 5 which was something else I loved but I'm afraid it isn't going to stand a rewatch).

A couple of years ago a Freeview TV channel repeated loads of them and I recorded them and am gradually re-watching them and I really enjoy them.

Ian

Battlestar Galatica ( the 2dn version) is a better series
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mercalia wrote:Battlestar Galatica ( the 2dn version) is a better series

I enjoyed it although I'm still not sure about the ending...
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

merseymouth wrote:Hi Vorpal :D , I envisage you embracing a measure of "Highland Park"? Savour the fragrance, hold on the the expected finish.
Don't think you would be salty enough to tolerate Islay malts! IGICB MM

:lol: :lol: I missed this when you posted it.

Yes, the Scotch with Viking soul.

I prefer Scotch with character. :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mercalia wrote:
Psamathe wrote:

Ian

Battlestar Galatica ( the 2dn version) is a better series

I enjoyed the more recent version (not the one from the 70s/80s - which I can't really remember). Not sure I say better or worse than Babylon 5 - different and both good in their own ways.

Ian