Tory leader - place your bets

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Audax67

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Post by Audax67 »

Oldjohnw wrote:'Boris' is far too endearing a term. No other PM gets first name reference. Can we call him Johnson?

Long live Maud Lebowski.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all, well, Boris has started well at promoting a sophisticated image in the media?
Front page of the Metro shows him in a "Benny Hill" pose!
But for me I am immediately drawn towards the works of P.G. Wodehouse, particularly Roderick Spode, the soon to be elevated Lord Sidcup.
The comparison is striking, the silly ass persona bites. I might make a link to I.D.S. as Jeeves? Toodley Pip. MM
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I like to call him Piffle.
It's one of his superfluity of names and one of his favourite words.
As in
inverted pyramid of piffle
which turned out to be quite true.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

merseymouth wrote:Hi all, well, Boris has started well at promoting a sophisticated image in the media?
But for me I am immediately drawn towards the works of P.G. Wodehouse, particularly Roderick Spode, the soon to be elevated Lord Sidcup.
The comparison is striking, the silly ass persona bites. I might make a link to I.D.S. as Jeeves? Toodley Pip. MM

Serious miscasting. Jeeves was highly intelligent.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

pete75 wrote:
merseymouth wrote:Hi all, well, Boris has started well at promoting a sophisticated image in the media?

I loved PGW's mickey take of Spode as leader of the Brownshorts.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mike Sales wrote:
pete75 wrote:

I loved PGW's mickey take of Spode as leader of the Brownshorts.

Wodehouse's depiction of Spode was a little ironic in view of his paid collaboration with the Nazis. He never set foot in Britain after the war. If he had he'd have been put on trial for treachery.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

pete75 wrote:
Wodehouse's depiction of Spode was a little ironic in view of his paid collaboration with the Nazis. He never set foot in Britain after the war. If he had he'd have been put on trial for treachery.

What I have heard is that his treachery amounted to no more than naively broadcasting on German radio. His motive was to reassure friends and family back in England that he was suffering few privations in internment.
It is easy to see that this could be used as propaganda by the Nazis, and seen as treachery by the British.
I have never heard that he was paid.
He lived in the USA after the war, so presumably he was not in bad odour there.
My mother retained the British antipathy to him. I expect he did not feel welcome here.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mike Sales wrote:
pete75 wrote:

What I have heard is that his treachery amounted to no more than naively broadcasting on German radio. His motive was to reassure friends and family back in England that he was suffering few privations in internment.
It is easy to see that this could be used as propaganda by the Nazis, and seen as treachery by the British.
I have never heard that he was paid.
He lived in the USA after the war, so presumably he was not in bad odour there.
My mother retained the British antipathy to him. I expect he did not feel welcome here.

That was his story and he was initially believed. MI5 files released in 1999 tell a somewhat different story. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/wode ... 19534.html
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well World at One was fun listening to Pericles Death Speech and all. One lady said he had 6 hours of eupohoria before.......
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

So he's now PM. Rarely do you see such naked ambition, so ruthlessly deployed and so undeservedly rewarded.
John
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Not since Bliar! :wink:
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hello again, Wodehouse was an innocent abroad when it came to Nazi Germany! He was manipulated and suffered distortion in the hands of Goebels & co.
He was never in the class of William Joyce when it came to treachery & treason. Gullible yes, Plum was a bit of an old woman.
The "Brownshorts & British Umbrellas for all typifies Spode. Great reading.
When it came to traitors to this country Edward VIII was streets ahead of all, what a waste of space!
Let's hope Boris proves the Jerimiahs wrong. IGICB MM
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Tangled Metal wrote:Not since Bliar! :wink:

Tony Blair was an able and competent politician. Johnson isn't.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

You're beginning to sound like a BoJo supporter :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

pete75 wrote:

Tony Blair was an able and competent politician. Johnson isn't.

Tony warmonger Blair was anything but able and competent. Blair was a creepy trained toad to whoever sat in the White House, I have no doubt that his tongue whimpering would have even extended to Donald Trump had he been in charge back then.

Oh you forgot to thank Blair for bringing you brexit too. :lol: