Tory leader - place your bets

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Paulatic

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Post by Paulatic »

Although it was the Blair government who finally paid off our WW2 debt to USA.
I suspect this lot want us in debt to them again.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
pete75

Post by pete75 »

windmiller wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Not since Bliar! :wink:

Tony Blair was an able and competent politician. Johnson isn't.

Tony warmonger Blair was anything but able and competent. Blair was a creepy trained toad to whoever sat in the White House, I have no doubt that his tongue whimpering would have even extended to Donald Trump had he been in charge back then.

Oh you forgot to thank Blair for bringing you brexit too. :lol:

Any UK PM who can win three general elections in a row is an able and competent politician. Mrs Thatcher was similarly able and competent. Whether on not you disagree with their policies is irrelevant.

Anyhow you should be out celebrating now we've got the sort of right wing populist PM you wet dream about.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

windmiller wrote:Tony warmonger Blair was anything but able and competent. Blair was a creepy trained toad to whoever sat in the White House, I have no doubt that his tongue whimpering would have even extended to Donald Trump had he been in charge back then.
I reckon you'd say that about any Remain supporter, because you despise Remain supporters for being what they are. Am I right?

Anyway, were you out in London with Stop The War on 15/2/2003? Protesting against the policies of your "warmonger, creepy trained toad"? We were. One has to disagree sometimes, even with someone who's 100 times a better PM than the incumbent...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

So Johnson has appointed Dominic Cummins as an advisor.

"In March 2019, he was found in contempt of Parliament after not appearing before a digital, culture, media and sport committee inquiry into false news during the referendum campaign.[18]"
Source:-https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominic_Cummings

He is not elected and I wonder how some of the passionate supporters of Johnson on here feel that that appointment serves the democratic purpose they are so fond of telling us is served by Brexit?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

661-Pete wrote:
Anyway, were you out in London with Stop The War on 15/2/2003? Protesting against the policies of your "warmonger, creepy trained toad"? We were. One has to disagree sometimes, even with someone who's 100 times a better PM than the incumbent...

I was, and I was on the W welcome march (not) too with my slogan ... "you cant spell nitwit without a W!" The CND lot and the punks with dogs on strings were impressed.

Eyore is banned ..... :lol: As for 100 times better... Bahahahahahah! Class liar, yankee creep, all hat no cattle Yeeeees!

He is not elected and I wonder how some of the passionate supporters of Johnson on here feel that that appointment serves the democratic purpose they are so fond of telling us is served by Brexit?

Like Alistair Campbell then? Who are these passionate supporters of Boris?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
pete75

Post by pete75 »

al_yrpal wrote:
661-Pete wrote:

I was, and I was on the W welcome march (not) too with my slogan ... "you cant spell nitwit without a W!" The CND lot and the punks with dogs on strings were impressed.

Eyore is banned ..... :lol: As for 100 times better... Bahahahahahah! Class liar, yankee creep, all hat no cattle Yeeeees!

Like Alistair Campbell then? Who are these passionate supporters of Boris?

Al

I seem to recall you praising him on this forum.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Windmiller and Andrec are Johnson fans(they will correct me if I'm wrong).
I understand that advisors are not elected but if they have been found to be in Contempt of Parliament, I personally feel they are a poor choice as an advisor to the PM.
Indeed one might say they should be excluded from such an appointment because of it?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Windmiller and Andrec are Johnson fans(they will correct me if I'm wrong).
I understand that advisors are not elected but if they have been found to be in Contempt of Parliament, I personally feel they are a poor choice as an advisor to the PM.
Indeed one might say they should be excluded from such an appointment because of it?

BoJo's hiring philosophy is probably; "if they can hire me then anyone is good enough".
Or perhaps: "surround yourself with idiots to make yourself look good".

He's going to be entertaining, can't do anything about it so may as well enjoy the show.

I'm also looking forward to the couple of extra grand a year he's promised me - where's Al complaining we can't afford it? Surely it's not just labour promises we can't afford? I thought he was more balanced than that... :lol:
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

pete75 wrote:

Tony Blair was also opportunistic. He also was a liar. He also had charisma to spare. He also had ambition. And tbh the only difference is BoJo is even more of a to$$ER.

Opportunistic? Well to become leader of labour at the right time,he certainly played his cards well. Then he hung on the coat tails of Bush. It got plenty of critics with the dodgy dossier but also more recognition and fans especially around the world. That set up his highly profitable post Westminster career. Middle East role created by USA with Germany and others. Ivy league university professorship that needed very little of his input but earnt a stack of dollars. Then his American public speaking engagements. He certainly took his chances.

Although BoJo is a real nightmare like no other bar Trump. A bargain basement Trump?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

SO Sajid Javid has been appointed Chancellor of the Exchequer, the guy who liked to beat up on teenagers who make stupid life choices just to seem big and tough. I suppose he will beat up on the poor now and extend Osbornes austerity drive on them, just to seem big and tough ...
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Tangled Metal wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Tony Blair was also opportunistic. He also was a liar. He also had charisma to spare. He also had ambition. And tbh the only difference is BoJo is even more of a to$$ER.

Opportunistic? Well to become leader of labour at the right time,he certainly played his cards well. Then he hung on the coat tails of Bush. It got plenty of critics with the dodgy dossier but also more recognition and fans especially around the world. That set up his highly profitable post Westminster career. Middle East role created by USA with Germany and others. Ivy league university professorship that needed very little of his input but earnt a stack of dollars. Then his American public speaking engagements. He certainly took his chances.

Although BoJo is a real nightmare like no other bar Trump. A bargain basement Trump?

Most people who do reasonably well in life seize opportunities when they present themselves. Failures go around thinking 'If only I'd done that when I had the chance'.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

So why did someone criticise BoJo for opportunism? OK for Blair but not BoJo?

I'm no fan of them both but nearly fell for Blair's spin in 97. No chance of falling for BoJo's politics though.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Tangled Metal wrote:So why did someone criticise BoJo for opportunism? OK for Blair but not BoJo?

I'm no fan of them both but nearly fell for Blair's spin in 97. No chance of falling for BoJo's politics though.

I suspect someone is criticising Johnson for it because he's in the news at the moment. You'll have to ask them why they think opportunism is something to criticise.
From what you've said here in the past you're a man of the right so why don't you like Johnson who is also a man of the right.
Last edited by pete75 on 24 Jul 2019, 10:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

pete75 wrote:I Who are these passionate supporters of Boris?

Al

I seem to recall you praising him on this forum.[/quote]

You must have been having yet another of those senior moments Pete, all I said was that he was an excellent constituency MP for us and nothing about subsequent activities of which I know nothing. We'll keep an open mind and see how things go...

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

kwackers wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:Windmiller and Andrec are Johnson fans(they will correct me if I'm wrong).

BoJo's hiring philosophy is probably; "if they can hire me then anyone is good enough".
Or perhaps: "surround yourself with idiots to make yourself look good".

I don't think Cummings is an idiot, just the opposite perhaps.
Though he may be not very nice.

I think he is a manipulator, and he uses modern media and stuff.
His CV reads pretty extreme right wing.

I don't think he considers himself answerable to due process, and that is quite a problem for this appointment.

The Johnson fan club are quiet so far on this one?