Reading to Bristol - Kennet & Avon - Things To See

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Bmblbzzz

Re: Reading to Bristol - Kennet & Avon - Things To See

Post by Bmblbzzz »

You will ride through Sydney Gardens. It's worth taking a look around here and making time to visit the Holburne Museum in the Gardens.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Bmblbzzz wrote:You will ride through Sydney Gardens. It's worth taking a look around here and making time to visit the Holburne Museum in the Gardens.

if you want to go through Sydney Gardens the No.4 route goes around it on the A36 and the entrance can be easy to miss when you come off the towpath.

beckford.jpg
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Yes, but if you follow the towpath, which I thought was the OP's intention, you will ride right through the park.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Yes, but if you follow the towpath, which I thought was the OP's intention, you will ride right through the park.

The towpath goes through a cutting the gardens are over a wall to the right (if travelling Reading - Bristol).

Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

It's not exactly a cutting, it's more the slope of the land; slopes down all the way. But there's a handy gate you for access to the gardens (possibly even two).

Interesting (potentially tricky) cobbled ramp up to Bathwich Hill and steps the other side to watch out for if laden.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Might be worth a short detour through the two tunnels, which I believe is still the longest cyclist tunnel in the uk

https://www.sustrans.org.uk/find-a-rout ... s-circuit/