** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
roubaixtuesday

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Mick F wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:For Mick: it's about 4 billion euros.

https://europa.eu/european-union/about- ... kingdom_en

But it's economic benefits of single market membership far outweigh this.
Thank you.
It costs us four thousand million Euros per year to be a club member and receive the fringe benefits of that club.

Say there are forty million taxpayers in the UK.
This means that I have spent 100Euros a year to be a member of a club.

Doesn't sound like a good deal to me.

That's because you're deliberately ignoring the whole picture - you're asking a loaded question.

An analogy.

You run a whelk store. You make £1000 a year from it.

You need a council license, costing £100 a year for the stall.

You decide that's £100 down the drain, you'd be better off not paying.

Congratulations, you're now £100 a year better off!
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Here's a few facts about the rebate from the OBR:

1. 2009-2015 UK rebate £3.9 billion p.a = an average net contribution of £8.5 billion.

2. 2015-2020 Rebate £5 billion p.a = an average net contribution of £9.6 billion.

3. 2014-2105 UK public spending was £735 billion, EU public spending £118 billion.

John.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

roubaixtuesday wrote:That's because you're deliberately ignoring the whole picture - you're asking a loaded question
No I'm not.
Not at all.

I don't know if you've noticed, but I've not been on this thread for a while.
Bored silly with it, and after this post, I'll be off again.

Not deliberately ignoring anything about the "whole picture" at all.
It was an innocent question not partisan at all.

I received an answer.
End of.
Mick F. Cornwall
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Mick F wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:That's because you're deliberately ignoring the whole picture - you're asking a loaded question
No I'm not.
Not at all.

I received an answer.
End of.

Which you chose to deliberately only pay attention to the part which confirmed your partisan position.

As was, I have to say, painfully obviously going to be the case from when you first asked the question.

It's really not a subtle ploy.
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Observe the passive aggressive behaviour of the Leavers.

John.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Hobbs1951 wrote:Observe the passive aggressive behaviour of the Leavers.

John.

Are you saying that Brexit supporters generally display this behaviour or just those on here? There is research that links personality to voting and thus evidence to back up your point but I think you owe it to the Leavers to link to it.

Otherwise I think knocking the person isn't helpful to the debate.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

so Boris in his first speech demands an end to the backstop else no deal :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :?
He is right about the backstop as I have been saying all along, but wrong how to respond ie should be revoke article 50

and Corbyn demands sending it back to the people ( atlast) where Labour would support remain.

in all his pifflewaffle he didnt mention the main reason for Brexit is to leave the EU weather system?

makes sense?

heatwavee.JPG
stu1102

Post by stu1102 »

Mick F wrote:
No I'm not.
Not at all.

I received an answer.
End of.

Mick if your interested this where some of the money given via the EU to Cornwall went;

Here are 31 EU-funded projects in Cornwall https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornw ... ash-746128

Its worth looking through the projects but you just need to get rid of the pop ups that plague Cornwall Live
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Some folk think it's ok to bow and scrape to the EU to get them to spend OUR money on local projects. Others think we are incapable of doing it ourselves. The bowers and scrapers and the doubters are in for a shock. They have now got a Cabinet running the country that has confidence in our ability to run our own affairs. About time....

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
stu1102

Post by stu1102 »

al_yrpal wrote:...............….They have now got a Cabinet running the country that has confidence in our ability to run our own affairs. About time....

Al

'there is not a single member of the new cabinet who has ever successfully implemented any policy whatsoever

And from a party which has been in government for *nine years*'

Source David Allen Green lawyer and writer @FT
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

We now have the most elitist, reactionary, privileged, entitled, undemocratic and incompetent cabinet in modern times.
John
pete75

Post by pete75 »

al_yrpal wrote:Some folk think it's ok to bow and scrape to the EU to get them to spend OUR money on local projects. Others think we are incapable of doing it ourselves. The bowers and scrapers and the doubters are in for a shock. They have now got a Cabinet running the country that has confidence in our ability to run our own affairs. About time....

Al

What we have is a cabinet picked from the far right of the Conservative party. The EU spend at least some of our money on projects in deprived areas but that lot will spend none of it in the same areas.
Some say Johnson is a one nation Conservative. Whether or not that was the case in the past I don't know but his choice of cabinet shows he isn't one now.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

al_yrpal wrote:Some folk think it's ok to bow and scrape to the EU to get them to spend OUR money on local projects. Others think we are incapable of doing it ourselves. The bowers and scrapers and the doubters are in for a shock. They have now got a Cabinet running the country that has confidence in our ability to run our own affairs. About time....

Al

We have run and conceived those local projects ourselves for donkey's years.

With mixed success it must be said. Especially in some enviromental schemes.
Only some funding allocation goes to Brussels for discussion and debate.
Broadly in my view they do a more professional job too.

A good many of the present members have been in the Cabinet before. Why should they be different now? Rose tinted spectacles?

It's all rehashed old tosh anyway from Johnson.
Golden age for .....speculators?

Cameron on his election said his would be "the greenest Govt of all time"! Ha!, fine words thrown into the dustbin of promoting elite money making as soon as the door of Number 10 closed behind him.

Did you note the slipping in to Johnson's little first effort the words about de-regulating gene manipulated food stuffs?
Coming to an allotment near you!
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Al

As I commented above, it wasn't/isn't that "we" were/are incapable (most EU programmes were initially administered by UK officials), rather that HMG abandoned regional policies. Without the Structural Funds, public spend in deprived areas would have been maybe 10 - 20% of that invested 1990-2007. I cannot speak for post-2007, but I imagine Convergence Funding continues to support the most deprived AND to skew member state expenditure towards those areas.

Can you really imagine that the new Cabinet will support anyone other than the wealthy and privileged? Guess you believe the trickle-down theory of Tax cuts for the rich. Drivel.
stu1102

Post by stu1102 »

'can you really imagine that the new Cabinet will support anyone other than the wealthy and privileged? '

No not at all, but based on my small evidence from my home village in the Scottish Borders this will be the last Prime Minister of the United Kingdom