Living without owning an internal combustion engine

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
reohn2

Re: Bicycle only

Post by reohn2 »

horizon wrote:For some people, like the OP, the answer is to give up their car. But I've been trying to make two points, neither of which is aimed at anyone personally in this discussion:

1. There's little incentive to give up a car.
2. We build our lives (in a general sense) around the car as opposed to using the car to meet our needs. I'm just pointing out a paradox.

So am I,it's a man made one in favour of the car,made in high places.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mjr wrote:Elect fewer cost cutting cocks. Publicise this stupidity to promote that solution to others. Surely one day our compatriots will realise that tax cuts aren't free?

You would think so wouldn't you,but I fear otherwise.

Here's another one,bigger and bigger schools drawing their students from further and further away.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

mjr wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Tell how to travel 30 rural miles in a northern winter without public transport.

In the words of the late great Freddy, get on your bikes and ride!

I realise that has drawbacks and limitations but winter isn't a prohibition and it's basically sound advice in general.

Oh yeah! 70 years old, 10.00pm, winter, narrow country lanes. Hills. Wind, rain, sleet. Get home by 1.00 am next morning. I'll have passed on within a month.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 26 Jul 2019, 9:12am, edited 2 times in total.
John
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

geomannie wrote:It really depends where you live. In a major city it's easy. In Glasgow many of my friends are now car free. With the demise of local shops and good bus services, it would be much harder in the countryside.

Only you can judge
Yes. Correct.
There's no way that we could exist without a car.

Poor bus services, but the greatest barrier is the "gigantic" hill situation. I can do it, but I'm very unusual round here. Some folk are amazed that anyone can ride happily round here!
Mick F. Cornwall
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

cc1085 wrote:Hi all,
does anyone here use a bicycle as their sole means of transport? As lifelong cyclist and car/motorcycle owner I'm thinking of going bicycle only though it may be a little more difficult at my age (68) Any thoughts? Has anyone already done this?

If as a lifelong cycist you still ride, you already know part of the answer, especially if you hadly use your car!

I'm 69 this year, and while I cycle I couldn't do without the car for longer journeys, carrying loads, and going to places further away from, say, a 10 mile radius of home, even though I do have a bus pass. Grandchildren to look after and carry around, all that sort of stuff. (I assume you don't have a caravan!)

Best thing is, just try and stop using the car and see how you get on for a few months, especially when the weather is bad etc.

As the Aussies say - "Give It A Go" - what's to lose!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
mjr

Post by mjr »

Oldjohnw wrote:
mjr wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Tell how to travel 30 rural miles in a northern winter without public transport.

I realise that has drawbacks and limitations but winter isn't a prohibition and it's basically sound advice in general.

Oh yeah! 70 years old, 10.00pm, winter, narrow country lanes. Hills. Wind, rain, sleet. Get home by 1.00 am next morning. I'll have passed on within a month.

Not everyone is 70 years old travelling hilly narrow country lanes in wind, rain and sleet (can it rain and sleet simultaneously?) over midnight. Most of those factors are more valid excuses not to cycle than it being rural, northern or winter as in your initial demand IMO - but even then, I don't think doing it once would necessarily cause a 70 year old to die within a month, so I think that's being a bit pessimistic!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
feefee8

Post by feefee8 »

mjr wrote:Not everyone is 70 years old travelling hilly narrow country lanes in wind, rain and sleet (can it rain and sleet simultaneously?) over midnight. Most of those factors are more valid excuses not to cycle than it being rural, northern or winter as in your initial demand IMO - but even then, I don't think doing it once would necessarily cause a 70 year old to die within a month, so I think that's being a bit pessimistic!

No, I'm 41 travelling 16 miles of flat but narrow country lanes, in predominantly wet weather (wettest part of UK - and yes it can rain and sleet simultaneously), in winter at 9pm carrying up to 10kg set of bagpipes either on back or in trailer and possibly wearing a kilt.....at least once a week, sometimes twice. This wouldn't cause me to die but might see off a lifelong hobby!
horizon

Post by horizon »

Oldjohnw wrote:

It isn't practical, no I agree. I think this thread has to remain in the realm of the "What if" and "Why". Families, work, leisure and society are now atomised, more so for some, less for others. This is almost entirely due to the availability of motor transport - I'm not sure if the railways, bus services and bicycles have had quite the same effect. To suddenly remove this component from our lives is unrealistic: it might happen involuntarily, for example in severe winter conditions, an oil crisis or the car being in for a service but that's so far been a temporary situation that we endure for a short time only. The most likely scenario for the car being removed is old age or illness.

But what I would say is:

1. Society has to come to terms with this - we are relying on a climate-changing fossil fuel and electric cars aren't the complete answer. But that is something government must deal with (road building is on the up at the moment).

2. We could individually change our lives to get rid of the car but I see that more in terms of families living closer together for example than the bicycle being able to cover the distances and carry the loads involved.

3. For some people, it is actually possible, and I would say for all people, undoubtedy life-affirming to get rid of the car. Ideally, we would just use it less but that's quite hard to stick to. I don't want us to lose sight of the idea that even just owning a car, never mind using it, is an invasion into our peace of mind and the way we think and feel about life. If you don't believe me, have a look at the huge and aggressive cars parked in your communal spaces near you now and ask what they are all about. We don't know what we give and give up to the car because it is part of our normality. Walk (or cycle) away from it and there will be a new poetry in your mind. Hats off to the OP.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

I'm early 40s, have never had a driving lesson, cylce year-round.

My wife does have a car, though, which is helpful for three kids and long distances to visit her family.

reohn2 wrote:The best way to find out is to keep the car and see if you can manage a six month period bike only from October to the end of March.
It would be a good test and by the end of it you'll have a personal answer.

I think that if there is no option but to cycle then you cycle. So it would be easiest to achieve if you lend/store your car for a month.
Also:
Start when the weather is good, a new year's resolution is the worst time as it's cold/winter.
Expect a startup cost, shoes/hats/gloves/waterproofs.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

mjr wrote:

Freddy? Freddy who? Mercury? The more obvious source might be Norman Tebbit! Or Eddy.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I want to ride my bicycle,bicycle, bicycle
I'm in love with my car
(Both Freddie M) plusminus?

Gave up my motor nearly four weeks ago
Driving is very trying especially if one obeys the law, keeps comfortably inside the maximum speed limit, Normal Drivers do not like that
Taking charge of a vehicle, how ever careful one is, one could harm others
Going carefully, waiting behind cyclists for example, could 'provoke' a Normal Driver to overtake with disastrous consequences

Not driving is good for one's mental health too I think
Plus One for bagpipes!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I want to ride my bicycle,bicycle, bicycle
I'm in love with my car

Gave up my motor nearly four weeks ago
Driving is very trying especially if one obeys the law, keeps comfortably inside the maximum speed limit, Normal Drivers do not like that
Taking charge of a vehicle, how ever careful one is, one could harm others
Going carefully, waiting behind cyclists for example, could 'provoke' a Normal Driver to overtake with disastrous consequences

Not driving is good for one's mental health too I think
Plus One for bagpipes!

Doesn't bother me - does that make me an abnormal driver?

I have a funny definition of "vehicle" and "road user" I suspect
Vehicle - anything on the road, powered or unpowered
Road User - anyone using the road, whatever their vehicle - whether in control, or a passenger - or none at all!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I want to ride my bicycle,bicycle, bicycle
I'm in love with my car

I’m in love with my car was Roger Taylor, who both wrote it and sang on it.

Keeping to the speed limit is easy if you have Cruise Control.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
feefee8

Post by feefee8 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Plus One for bagpipes!

Thanks! Been playing for over 30 years now, probably a better piper than I am anything else :D

If anyone’s interested, it’s the Scottish Pipe Band Championships in Dumbarton tomorrow (it will rain and there will be more than the average number of coaches in the area!)
cc1085

Post by cc1085 »

The era of the private car is over. To think it can be sustained in any form would be madness in the face of human extinction. The resources that are burned up in production and running requirements are enormous and if these had to be paid for no company would be profitable. That was why I asked the question in the first place as the car will have to go.