2019 Tour de France: Spoilers!

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Marcus Aurelius

Re: 2019 Tour de France: Spoilers!

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I’d love to be a fly on the wall when Bernal gets torn a new one for deliberately ignoring a direct order, as soon as the dust settles. That said, it did make for the best watching in a long long time.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:I’d love to be a fly on the wall when Bernal gets torn a new one for deliberately ignoring a direct order, as soon as the dust settles. That said, it did make for the best watching in a long long time.

He was given the OK I don't think he would've done otherwise unless he had.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:I’d love to be a fly on the wall when Bernal gets torn a new one for deliberately ignoring a direct order, as soon as the dust settles. That said, it did make for the best watching in a long long time.

Do pro cyclists constantly get told what to do? What if one disobeys? Wouldnae surprise me if they have a lot of mental health problems from being regimented, organised, shuttled about
Like footballers but not so lucrative :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
cotterpins

Post by cotterpins »

Whatever the result, you can never take away that "G" is the first ever British-born TDF winner!
1982john

Post by 1982john »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Do pro cyclists constantly get told what to do? What if one disobeys? Wouldnae surprise me if they have a lot of mental health problems from being regimented, organised, shuttled about
Like footballers but not so lucrative :?

There have been a couple of pro riders quit due to mental health problems over the last year. But yes like any team sport cyclists have to do as they're told. Often they don't which makes great bantz (see Rohan Dennis).
tony_mm

2019 Tour de France: Spoilers!

Post by tony_mm »

cotterpins wrote:Whatever the result, you can never take away that "G" is the first ever British-born TDF winner!

And not English but proudly Welsh!
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

cotterpins wrote:Whatever the result, you can never take away that "G" is the first ever British-born TDF winner!
Nicole Cooke might disagree, as she says in her book "The Breakaway". But of course I understand what you mean. She is Welsh too.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

NC won event the ladies. Best that was on offer but not the same as the mens. On one hand its the first grand tour but in reality it wasn't a 3 week race which define a grand tour. I see why ladies races are not promoted, a vicious circle really but at the same time wonder why even one day races arebwatered down versions of the men's.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

reohn2 wrote:The best Tour de France I've ever watched.
Egon Bernal is a most deserving and beautiful winner,his meeting with his younger brother and his mother brought a tear to my eye it was so beautiful
Julian Alaphilipe a great and gallant attempt.
Poor Thibot Pinot's injury.
Geraint Thomas a most gracious second!
Beautiful,beautiful,beautiful!!!
Words can't describe!

Yes! I think the rider personalities really came through with the panache of Alaphilippe, the bravado of Sagan, the humility of G and the natural brilliance of Bernal. We also had the tragedy of Pinot and the landslide that finished french hopes. Just missed the comic gendarmes this year -no motorbike incidents, they didn’t tear gas the peloton or even assault spectators. Actually there was the bit where one moved the barrier into the track of the sprint and took out a rider!
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

There is talk about cyclists born and raised at altitude, the Columbians having an advantage cycling uphill.
Distance running is dominated by athletes from Ethiopia and Kenya.
So for there are a few cyclists from East Africa in the peloton. Should we be expecting more?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

geocycle wrote:
Egon Bernal is a most deserving and beautiful winner,his meeting with his younger brother and his mother brought a tear to my eye it was so beautiful
Words can't describe!

Yes! I think the rider personalities really came through with the panache of Alaphilippe, the bravado of Sagan, the humility of G and the natural brilliance of Bernal. We also had the tragedy of Pinot and the landslide that finished french hopes. Just missed the comic gendarmes this year -no motorbike incidents, they didn’t tear gas the peloton or even assault spectators. Actually there was the bit where one moved the barrier into the track of the sprint and took out a rider!

TBH I think the hailstorm and ensueing landslide were a blessing for Alaphillipe as IMO he'd have lost even more time on the last climb,though it may have cost Simon Yates another stage win and Bernal even greater time between him and G.Although G said he felt good that day,all supposition though :wink:
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mike Sales wrote:There is talk about cyclists born and raised at altitude, the Columbians having an advantage cycling uphill.
So for there are a few cyclists from East Africa in the peloton. Should we be expecting more?

East Africa is a poor part of the world generally so the opportunities for bike racing are few whereas running has always been a cultural and perhaps necessary way of life,that and the light frame/build of East Africans is a bonus.
W H Auden
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

reohn2 wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:There is talk about cyclists born and raised at altitude, the Columbians having an advantage cycling uphill.

East Africa is a poor part of the world generally so the opportunities for bike racing are few whereas running has always been a cultural and perhaps necessary way of life,that and the light frame/build of East Africans is a bonus.

One hopes that the area will not always remain poor.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mike Sales wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

One hopes that the area will not always remain poor.

Whilst I agree I fear it may.
W H Auden
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

reohn2 wrote:
geocycle wrote:
Words can't describe!

TBH I think the hailstorm and ensueing landslide were a blessing for Alaphillipe as IMO he'd have lost even more time on the last climb,though it may have cost Simon Yates another stage win and Bernal even greater time between him and G.Although G said he felt good that day,all supposition though :wink:

Agreed, it didn’t alter the result. In my view the top three would have pulled further away but that’s guesswork. It did add to the theatre though.