Narrow q factor triple chainset with steel rings

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
fatboy

Narrow q factor triple chainset with steel rings

Post by fatboy »

I'm fed up with aluminium chain rings but like the narrow q factor of my Spa chainset. Is there a narrow q factor 104/64 bcd chainset around? To make it harder I only want square taper or octalink. Failing that is there a source of 110bcd steel middle chainrings anywhere?
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
Brucey

Re: Narrow q factor triple chainset with steel rings

Post by Brucey »

surly make hard-wearing stainless steel chainrings

https://surlybikes.com/parts/stainless_steel_chainrings

including 110BCD ones. However I don't think they have ramps and pins so may not work on a triple chainset as slickly as OEM quality chainrings.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Neither of those chainrings have any ramps or pins, so shifting to or from a smaller chainring will be like it was before indexing - front friction shifter required, and ease right off on the pedal pressure for the duration of the change.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

andrew_s wrote:Neither of those chainrings have any ramps or pins, so shifting to or from a smaller chainring will be like it was before indexing - front friction shifter required, and ease right off on the pedal pressure for the duration of the change.

I have two bike with Alpine doubles running 24t to 39t the 39's have no ramps or pins being a pair of Stronglight tandem timing rings.one bike is on drops with friction lever in Kelly's Take offs the other is on flats with Deore M591 MTB pods both bikes change up and down between the two rings faultlessly.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Thanks for the thoughts, no simple options! I use brifters so ramp and pinless won't work for me.

I have spotted that Spa do a 130 bcd chainset. This will allow me to use a Shimano steel 39t middle but I'm less sure about the big ring, anything bigger than 48t is unnecessary and I'd need to add a link to a full length chain. But 39 to 48t is only a 9 tooth jump and I'm not sure if indexed shifting will work. Any thoughts?
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

fatboy wrote:Thanks for the thoughts, no simple options! I use brifters so ramp and pinless won't work for me.

I'd disagree with you on that,in fact Shimano STI's(brifters?) Work better than anything with ramp and painless chainrings as you always have an amount of over shift with STI's either road or MTB,especially from inner ring to middle,middle to outer overshift is governed by the limit screw which can be backed off slightly to allow enough to change but not enough as throw the chain past.

I have spotted that Spa do a 130 bcd chainset. This will allow me to use a Shimano steel 39t middle but I'm less sure about the big ring, anything bigger than 48t is unnecessary and I'd need to add a link to a full length chain. But 39 to 48t is only a 9 tooth jump and I'm not sure if indexed shifting will work. Any thoughts?

It's not the indexing you need worry about,it's whether the inner cage of a triple mech clears the the 39t ring without being too high so the chain doesn't rub the tail of the cage when on the inner ring,but I think you're safe.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

fatboy wrote:Thanks for the thoughts, no simple options! I use brifters so ramp and pinless won't work for me.

FWIW I have been experimenting with lower gears on my Campag Centaur 10 sp triple crankset and I can say that the shifting from 39T middle to 48T outer was not great and that it is better with a 39T middle to 50T outer. I am currently running 28-39-50T but may revert to the original set-up for the better shifting.
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

I have a Shimano Tiagra 9 speed triple with 30-40-50 and 130/74 BCD 170 mm cranks. Small and middle rings are steel (though Brucey says the life may not be brilliant). It needs chainring bolts (I pinched them for my new bike). Don't know about the Q-factor but it's a road chainline. I have the matching front mech. too. PM me if you are interested.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

TRIPLE CHAINSET USERS OF THE WORLD UNITE.
I should coco.
scottg

Post by scottg »

rotavator wrote:
FWIW I have been experimenting with lower gears on my Campag Centaur 10 sp triple crankset and I can say that the shifting from 39T middle to 48T outer was not great and that it is better with a 39T middle to 50T outer. I am currently running 28-39-50T but may revert to the original set-up for the better shifting.

I've 12t jumps with Campy Record shifters, the old ratchet style, not indexed, 48/36/24, shifts well. Crank & rings are Sugino Alpina.
Campy front mech.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

scottg wrote:
rotavator wrote:

I've 12t jumps with Campy Record shifters, the old ratchet style, not indexed, 48/36/24, shifts well. Crank & rings are Sugino Alpina.
Campy front mech.

That's what I run, just wish I could get a steel 110bcd 36t with ramps and pins!
pq

Post by pq »

There's not much point having steel for the big ring because they last ages anyway. You could also try looking for Ti rings, I have middle and small on my expedition tourer and they're indestructible.
One link to your website is enough. G
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

fatboy wrote:I use brifters so ramp and pinless won't work for me.

From my experience they work fine. In the late 90s I raced on a bike equipped with Dura-Ace 9-speed, but I felt that the 53t chainring was bigger than I needed in the Masters 5 category, so I replaced it with an unramped/unpinned 49t ring, and didn't notice that the front shifting was any worse.

And I presently have one bike using SRAM Force 22 shifters and derailleurs, but the chainset is an NOS Shimano Deore touring from the early 1980s that is running rampless/pinless TA Cyclotouriste chainrings, and no problems with the front shifting there either.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

NickJP wrote:
fatboy wrote:I use brifters so ramp and pinless won't work for me.

From my experience they work fine...

as mentoned previously it depends on the sizes used as well as the rider. If you are used to ramps and pins and try to use some quite common combinations of sizes, it can be extremely troublesome to many (most) riders.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~