** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Pastychomper

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Pastychomper »

Cunobelin wrote:Been covered before a minority of people spoke in a referendum that was not legally binding

I too thought it had been covered before, but let's get it right. Total votes: 33,551,983; UK population (mid-2016 estimate): 65,648,100.
I make that 51% of the population that "spoke", which is a majority.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
georgew

Post by georgew »

djnotts wrote:The Conservative and UNIONIST Party will never allow Scottish independence. That and possibility of civil unrest behind pay rises for military and police.

Yes.......well that just might be a problem as we here in Scotland see the people of Scotland as the ultimate authority, and not that ragtag band of Tory chancers and unprincipled opportunists.

To speak of any political party as "not allowing" Scottish Independence reeks of unspeakable arrogance.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Pastychomper wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:Been covered before a minority of people spoke in a referendum that was not legally binding

I too thought it had been covered before, but let's get it right. Total votes: 33,551,983; UK population (mid-2016 estimate): 65,648,100.

Those are the absolute totals.
Not the referendum result.
Around 70% turnout voted in the referendum.

49% of the total population did not vote at all.

The young being more represented as not voting as always, they are busy being young!!

Perhaps the unfairest thing was that UK citizens resident in the EU were denied a vote.
It is not a given that those citizens would have all voted Remain, of course. Though a majority probably would have.
stu1102

Post by stu1102 »

BBC Politics
@BBCPolitics
· 29 Jul
"£4bn has been allocated to the process of leaving the EU already" says Foreign Secretary Dominic Rabb
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

stu1102 wrote:BBC Politics
@BBCPolitics
· 29 Jul
"£4bn has been allocated to the process of leaving the EU already" says Foreign Secretary Dominic Rabb

A number uncannily close to £350million a week until halloween...

Must be off, I have a bridge I need to get on ebay. Should get a good price with all that cash around for transport contingencies.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

georgew wrote:
djnotts wrote:The Conservative and UNIONIST Party will never allow Scottish independence. That and possibility of civil unrest behind pay rises for military and police.

Yes.......well that just might be a problem as we here in Scotland see the people of Scotland as the ultimate authority, and not that ragtag band of Tory chancers and unprincipled opportunists.

To speak of any political party as "not allowing" Scottish Independence reeks of unspeakable arrogance.

Spoken like a true heir of Rob Roy - well said Sir. :D
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Pastychomper wrote:

But only 26.5% spoke to leave. I make that a minority.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

"To speak of any political party as "not allowing" Scottish Independence reeks of unspeakable arrogance."

True - allied with population numbers and military superiority. To misquote The Doors, they got the guns and they got the numbers. "They" being the English ruling classes. Few cases of any similar secession occurring without armed intervention by the more powerful "partner".
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Pastychomper wrote:

But not a mandate for Brexit

Only a minority voted for Brexit
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

pete75 wrote:
Pastychomper wrote:

But only 26.5% spoke to leave. I make that a minority.

Yep....

Neither Remain, nor Brexit were a Majority,
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
661-Pete wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:You are simply insulting More than half the people who voted.
That's as maybe. The insults have been flying freely in both directions, and not only on this forum. We'd best try to live with it.

You should have said, those out of the "more than half" who still believe in Brexit. Because (although you will deny this) the numbers have diminished. :roll:

Numbers?
What another referendum?
Did I miss that Whilst I was away
Show me the numbers not the silly polls!
I will not deny that things might have changed.
But can you show me how they have changed?
I don't even say that I was in the majority either.
I'm just going to say it's 50-50.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Show me the numbers not the silly polls!
I can't show you numbers without citing the - what you call "silly" - opinion polls. No-one can. What else is there? Or do you know someone with wide-ranging telepathic powers or ESP? If anyone is like me a fan of Larry Niven's brand of SF, they'll look for a "Thrint" or some-such creature. Yes?

Anyway, don't ask me, I'm no expert! Go and argue the toss with Professor John Curtice, the most distinguished and eminent expert on psephology in the country. If you can overcome your aversion to 'experts', that is!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
661-Pete wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:You are simply insulting More than half the people who voted.
That's as maybe. The insults have been flying freely in both directions, and not only on this forum. We'd best try to live with it.

You should have said, those out of the "more than half" who still believe in Brexit. Because (although you will deny this) the numbers have diminished. :roll:

Numbers?
What another referendum?
Did I miss that Whilst I was away
Show me the numbers not the silly polls!
I will not deny that things might have changed.
But can you show me how they have changed?
I don't even say that I was in the majority either.
I'm just going to say it's 50-50.

A bit stronger than your routine "polls" is a statistical analysis based not on people changing their minds (which means asking some of them what they'd do now), but rather based on demographic changes due to deaths and youngsters becoming old enough to get a vote
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-leave-eu-remain-vote-support-against-poll-uk-europe-final-say-yougov-second-referendum-peter-a8541971.html wrote:Analysis by the former president of YouGov found demographic changes mean around half a million fewer people each year, or around 1,350 a day, now support Brexit – meaning there will soon be enough to overturn the Brexit vote if there was a second referendum.

Even if no one had changed their mind since the 2016 referendum, population changes mean that, from 19 January 2019, a majority of voters will back staying in the EU, according to the analysis. By 29 March, when Britain is due to leave the bloc, the Remain side is forecast to have a majority of around 100,000.

I'd not suggest this as the "categoric proof" you are seeking but it is an analysis not needing anybody to change their minds and is based in part on population demographics rather than traditional polls asking maybe a few thousand people.

Ian
RickH

Post by RickH »

stu1102 wrote:BBC Politics
@BBCPolitics
· 29 Jul

And another £2.1 billion
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do

Gunfight at the O.K. Corral.JPG

Halloween is High Noon

[youtube]MpABJHwsZG0[/youtube]