Lidl cycling/other & Camping gear stuff

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Sweep

Re: Lidl cycling & Camping gear April 2019 update

Post by Sweep »

mercalia wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:There are a couple of the older seperate battery type LIDL lights (40/20/10 Lux) on ebay under the crivit label, one's in white the other black, both by the same seller. I was going to buy one for my friend as her old light has had a wobbly but then I found one with a built in battery which she prefers.
They were up for £5.99+post and I'd originally made an offer to the seller and they'd indicated £5.50 would get the purchase so with postage £8.40 each https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crivit-Led-B ... 2763.l2649

well I am surprised they are still there as they were originally about £7-8? and I think they were the best lights that Lidl ever sold & seems to have decided not to continue them. if I didnt already have a spare set I would have bought them already

+1 for that AA lidl light.
Things getting really bad in the pointless upmarketing of cycling when even lidl gets suckered in/tries to sucker us in.
Sweep
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
After using the sealed rechargeable li-ion front lights, that can be charged from a USB socket even a power bank, I tend to think that its overall easier than fumbling with loose batteries?
Also the capacity and no memory effect all for 82 grams is well worth the non serviceable.

I back post, had one with a dodgy switch (probably because I carried it but did not use it mare than a few times?) with the three year warranty its only a mater of emailing LIDL customer service and they sent the latest model in a week :)
Just keep your receipt.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
After using the sealed rechargeable li-ion front lights, that can be charged from a USB socket even a power bank, I tend to think that its overall easier than fumbling with loose batteries?
Also the capacity and no memory effect all for 82 grams is well worth the non serviceable.

I back post, had one with a dodgy switch (probably because I carried it but did not use it mare than a few times?) with the three year warranty its only a mater of emailing LIDL customer service and they sent the latest model in a week :)
Just keep your receipt.

well maybe when they were just £10 or so, as being sealed they are inherently disposable but now getting on to be £20 or so my scruples are raised - you cant send them back to Lidl if the battery is just worn out within 3 years? 1200mah lithoum powerbanks are dirt cheap ( poundlander sell them for just £1 ) so they should have put say a 2400 mah battery inside to see off wear? ( the one inside is just 1300mah I think)
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

It's interesting the run times on high setting, the 1300mAh Li-ion internal doesn't on the face of it have a long run time compared to say my Sigma Pava which takes 4xAA - I use Fujitsu Black 2000m/Ah. On high I get around 13 hours but will jump to the lower setting when the batts are low. there's enough light from the high for 30mph downhill runs, on low it's good for 20mph and will run for best part of 30 hours.

The original LIDL unit is a good little commuter light and one that didn't cost much, the newer one is more bells and whistles but does have a longer run time/brighter than the old one but has jumped in price albeit with a rechargeable rear too.
I tend to use my Sigma more than anything else and should get at the very least 10000 hours from a single set of batteries given my typical use, so hoping the LIDL and the PAVA should see me through for a good few years barring the lights failing/getting damaged - though I've just treated myself to a lovely Sigma as a back up to the back up that popped up in my bargain bucket finder :lol:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

My Lidl ( Streatham London) has got some of the Lithium light sets in "reduced" from £20 to £17. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: what a bargain, when 2 years ago they were like £10 a set. Lidl are getting greedy?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
mercalia wrote:My Lidl ( Streatham London) has got some of the Lithium light sets in "reduced" from £20 to £17. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: what a bargain, when 2 years ago they were like £10 a set. Lidl are getting greedy?

The £19.99 set has an extra setting position one.
This varies in light with the ambient light.
It's still a good light with a nice dipped beam.
I have three of them and I'm quite happy with them.
It's just a pity really like doesn't match up to the front one.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
mercalia wrote:My Lidl ( Streatham London) has got some of the Lithium light sets in "reduced" from £20 to £17. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: what a bargain, when 2 years ago they were like £10 a set. Lidl are getting greedy?

The £19.99 set has an extra setting position one.
This varies in light with the ambient light.
It's still a good light with a nice dipped beam.
I have three of them and I'm quite happy with them.
It's just a pity really like doesn't match up to the front one.

Why did you get three USB ones natural ankling?

won't they degrade together?

I have one Lidl USB one and two of the 4xAA ones.

agree that they are decent lights.

I quite like the tiddly shield shaped rear as a supplementary light but fear I have lost it - things can be too small :)
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Like you Sweep I have 2 of the battery ones and one of the original Lithium ones. I keep that in the fridge cool section. I have glued a short cable to that one as I intend to run it from a smallish powerbank. Good lights but they now cost too much. What do Aldi do?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mercalia wrote:Like you Sweep I have 2 of the battery ones and one of the original Lithium ones. I keep that in the fridge cool section. I have glued a short cable to that one as I intend to run it from a smallish powerbank. Good lights but they now cost too much. What do Aldi do?

Aldi have also rather lost it on cycle stuff as well I fear.

I did get a very good rear usb light from Aldi but regretted it soon afterwards as it isn't compatible with cateye mounts - this severely limits its use for me.

Meanwhile, some folk are not too happy to be getting a Lidl.

rather amused me:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-n ... e-49149461
Sweep
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Sweep wrote:
mercalia wrote:Like you Sweep I have 2 of the battery ones and one of the original Lithium ones. I keep that in the fridge cool section. I have glued a short cable to that one as I intend to run it from a smallish powerbank. Good lights but they now cost too much. What do Aldi do?

I did get a very good rear usb light from Aldi but regretted it soon afterwards as it isn't compatible with cateye mounts - this severely limits its use for me.

rather amused me:

The Hyacinth Bucket tendency.....
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
millimole

Post by millimole »

Sweep wrote:

rather amused me:

I live in an area where one Waitrose is becoming Iceland, and another going to Lidl.
I've heard tales of people in tears, and others that are incandescent that house prices are going to plummet.
I find it highly amusing.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
pete75

Post by pete75 »

millimole wrote:
Sweep wrote:

rather amused me:

I live in an area where one Waitrose is becoming Iceland, and another going to Lidl.
I've heard tales of people in tears, and others that are incandescent that house prices are going to plummet.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my gormless idiot phone.

Do Chisets really shop in Waitrose?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

as pointed out previously these are not the same lights.
The front is rated at 60Lux, the original was 40, the newer rear is a rechargeable, the original was a battery job
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

millimole wrote:
Sweep wrote:

rather amused me:

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my gormless idiot phone.

Presumably if they shopped there a bit more often, it would be a profitable store and wouldn't be being sold. They can therefore blame themselves.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

st599_uk wrote:
Presumably if they shopped there a bit more often, it would be a profitable store and wouldn't be being sold. They can therefore blame themselves.

:)

Yes - perhaps they have been sneaking out after dark to shop at a Lidl over the tracks - ensuring that the booty goes into waitrose bags in case the neighbours pull back the curtains and see them unloading the Range Rover.
Sweep