Touring Groupset - Dear Shimano

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mnichols

Re: Touring Groupset - Dear Shimano

Post by mnichols »

iandriver wrote:Well, there is the new GRX groupset https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/product/ ... 00-10.html

Will grx support rim brakes? I like the ratios and have a Titanium frame i'd like to build from, but it's rim not disc. Ive also already got some Ultegra Calipers
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

mnichols wrote:
iandriver wrote:Well, there is the new GRX groupset https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/product/ ... 00-10.html

Will grx support rim brakes? I like the ratios and have a Titanium frame i'd like to build from, but it's rim not disc. Ive also already got some Ultegra Calipers

Not that I can see. Hydraulic discs only, so a mix and match required (again :? )
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:24 tooth front chainring .. !! i'm jealous .... i did my lejog on a single 26 tooth front chainring .... i could have done with a 24 for Helmsdale and Berriedale :)

There's a good adage,"always have two gears lower than you think you'll ever need".
I like to have at least three,it's the Boy Scout in me :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

reohn2 wrote:
landsurfer wrote:24 tooth front chainring .. !! i'm jealous .... i did my lejog on a single 26 tooth front chainring .... i could have done with a 24 for Helmsdale and Berriedale :)

There's a good adage,"always have two gears lower than you think you'll ever need".

I can walk as fast as I can pedal an 18" gear, I've had it demonstrated to me how it's more efficient to keep riding, but if there's no time advantage I like the change. I might feel different if I lived somewhere with hills that would take hours to walk up, but most of those I've got off for have only taken minutes.
I didn't get into cycling till well after wide gear ranges were available, but all the old CTC archive stuff I've seen has people getting off for the steep bits and I wonder if it is the sports influence that has made this seem less acceptable.
My derailleur bike, which is probably the faster bike over a hilly ride, sacrifices a couple of low gears for some very close ones in the middle range (9 spd triple 24" - 95") I get more use from those I've gained than those I've lost.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

I can walk as fast as I can pedal an 18" gear, I've had it demonstrated to me how it's more efficient to keep riding, but if there's no time advantage I like the change. I might feel different if I lived somewhere with hills that would take hours to walk up, but most of those I've got off for have only taken minutes.
I didn't get into cycling till well after wide gear ranges were available, but all the old CTC archive stuff I've seen has people getting off for the steep bits and I wonder if it is the sports influence that has made this seem less acceptable.
My derailleur bike, which is probably the faster bike over a hilly ride, sacrifices a couple of low gears for some very close ones in the middle range (9 spd triple 24" - 95") I get more use from those I've gained than those I've lost.

As you know I prefer large section tyres due to the kind of terrain I like to ride.
My Genesis Vagabond has Marathon Supremes 700x 50(47mm actual size),fitted presently(I Also have a pair of 700x50 (also 47 actual size) Conti RaceKings for wintery mucky stuff) which gives me a 20inch to 78.5inch range on 2×9sp 24/39t x 14,15,17,19,21,23,26,30,34 cass
My Salsa Vaya fitted with 700x37 actual size Hypers has a similar range but only needs a 32t large sprocket unlike the Vagabond which needs a 34t due to it's bigger tyres though top 39x14 is a couple of inches less than the Vagabond due to the smaller section tyres.
Both bikes are on S/light Impact chainsets using the the two inner and middle ring positions with a chainguard in the third outer ring position where there used to be a 46t ring and in days past a 48t,even further back it used to be a 50t
The cruising gears on both bikes are quite closely grouped at 39x15,17,19,21,23t.

Out of choice I ride a lot of tracks and towpaths where high gears aren't a lot of use,but on crapmac I can occasionally with a tailwind or slight down hill spin top upto 25mph,due to my age and fitness level these days anything bigger than that isn't much use to me.

I don't like walking up hills unless I have to and sometimes I really have to,though I don't see walking as somekind of failure,speed doesn't concern me and I'd rather ride uphill at 2mph than walk at 3mph,we all have our personal preferences and quirks :wink:
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I'm a great believer that walking is an integral part of cycling ... which is why i'm a member of the Rough Stuff Fellowship ... :)
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

By the by, just had a mail from chain reaction pushing this mtb stuff.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-xt-slx ... oduct-list

Think I'll skip
Sweep
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Sweep wrote:By the by, just had a mail from chain reaction pushing this mtb stuff.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-xt-slx ... oduct-list

Think I'll skip

At those prices they'll need some pushing :shock:
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:I have a 9 speed set up with a combo of Shimano and Spa components ..... 12-40 cassette, SPA single front chainset with a 36 tooth ring and a Deore rear derailleur ....Deore hubs, Tektro canties with SORA levers ... 3000 mile later i wouldn't change it .... My Touring Groupset ... :D

You drivetrain is 4 inches too high on the low end and the gaps between ratios are way to wide for my tastes,though they obviouslly suite you.

Or do they?
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Suits me fine ... effectively the cassette has 2 ranges, high and low, with a jump between them ... similar to having 2 front chainrings. It was a deliberate choice and works well for my style and range of riding.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Could you mix this with a drop handlebar shifters and rim brakes

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-xt-m8000-2x11-drivetrain-groupset/rp-prod168219
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mnichols wrote:Could you mix this with a drop handlebar shifters and rim brakes

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-xt-m8000-2x11-drivetrain-groupset/rp-prod168219

With a 700 x 32mm tyre that gives a range of 17.7in to 89in
Knocking the top and bottom sprockets off the 11-40 cassette making a 13-34t 9sp cassette(not a standard cassette but no reason why it couldn't be) with a 24/40 gives you a 19 to 83inch range.
Change the double to a standard 9sp 22/32/44 MTB triple chainset with the same 13-34t cassette and the range becomes 17.5 to 91.5inch with a lot more inches to choose from inbetween,and the 9sp cassette has the same two and three tooth spacing as the 11sp 11-40t cassette
Where's the gain in the 11sp system?
Last edited by reohn2 on 1 Aug 2019, 11:06am, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

mnichols wrote:Could you mix this with a drop handlebar shifters and rim brakes

NO - after 9 speed road and MTB diverged
There's a shiftmate for Shimano 10 speed from road levers to 10 MTB components, but I don't think there is for 11.