Squeaky cycling shoes!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
KTHSullivan

Squeaky cycling shoes!

Post by KTHSullivan »

Moved away from road shoes and “Look” type cleats several years ago, could no longer cope with the slip and slide off the bike, to remind me of my youth bought a pair of Giro republics (SPD) nice shoes; but the squeaking has started to drive me bananas! Originally considered it was new footwear squeak, but three years down the line they’re still doing it. Get the same dulcet tone on all of the stable so I have discounted pedal squeak. I am open to suggestions and/or ridicule; but seriously any ideas? :?
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
roubaixtuesday

Re: Squeaky cycling shoes!

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Are you sure it's not the cleat/pedal interface? I find it's a perennial problem with spds.

Give the cleats a squirt with WD40 and see if the issue goes away?
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Hi roubaixtuesday, and thanks for the reply.

I normally give the pedals a brief squirt of unction of various kinds before most rides. I do use the multiple release cleats so there may be a bit of movement at the interface, however I have tried them with the direct pull type and they still squeak. I am coming to the conclusion that they well have been manufactured from mouse leather!

K
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Furniture Polish is the best thing for squeaky look cleats, I've got into the habit of spraying mine everytime before I go out now.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I have recently been concerned about the creaks from my bottom bracket and had planned to replace it.
But then i thought about the shoes, 2 screw SPD, and sat down with the allen keys and applied some torque ..... Yesterdays 40 mile ride was quiet and creak free!
I also spray a little WD40 on to my Shimano 520's and my cleats for which does help cut down the squeaks and creaks. And does not effect operation.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
londonbikerider

Post by londonbikerider »

I have used "dry lube" applied on the cleats where they engage the pedals, with good results.