Living without owning an internal combustion engine

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Cugel

Re: Living without the inFernal combustion engine

Post by Cugel »

reohn2 wrote:
francovendee wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:What a queer statement :? I cannae know all about you. Trying to introduce censorship?

I have learnt a lot here, had disagreements, surely one can accept that, laugh quite a bit too
Apparently many other fora are much nastier

Strange remark.
Until you know all the facts before making any sweeping statement, how can anyone judge another's choices. No intent to introduce censorship on here, that's the moderators job.m
I enjoy the discussions here but get fed up with the 'flag wavers' who won't take a wider look. I'm not talking about this thread.
I've had my eyes opened to other's views more than a few times and had my take on things altered.

There's some strange folk about alright,purists on this thread wear some pretty narrow blinkers and only go as far as forum rules allow though they do like to antagonise others.
One wonders how they'de fare at getting camels through the eye of needles

Well! When I'M dictator, it'll all be different and everything will be correct. Yes.

Mind, the definitions of "correct" may not suit 99.9% of others. But "others" ..... We can't take them into account, surely? :-)

Many do have pet theories about this and that. I know I do. But some of these theories are a bit threadbare, eh? Some may not be theories at all but merely small obsessions that have caught in a mind-hole of one who has many such holes but feels the itch they make, so fills them with any old stuffing. We seem inclined to have "an opinion" about everything, especially things we know nothing about.

Others may just be posing as, say, a troll or even a curmudgeon, in the hope that this gives them a certain rebel-yell mien. But these are just pose-tropes, usually employed by those who have to consume a ready-made image rather than develop a personality of their own. Well, I say "their own" but our personalities (should we have one) are generally just ready-made images too but of a more dense meme-weave than the ones found in the cultural pound shop or The Daily Frightener.

Anyroadup, I find myself suspicious of most "belongers" - for example, those who state "I am a Tory" or "I am a Leaver". This is almost always a shorthand for "I jumped on a bandwagon 'cos it's got a loud Oompah player". Even the folk I agree with are just on the same bandwagon as me, staring avidly at the clarinetist or even the cymbal-clasher.

One day I will invent a meme-cleanser. But then I'll believe in and know nowt!

Being human is a nuisance.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
reohn2

Re: Living without owning an internal combustion engine

Post by reohn2 »

Cugel
There's only thee an me reet,an I'm not so sure abaet thee :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

….This is my truth, tell me yours...

You might attribute this to Ny Bevan and/or the Manic Street Preachers, depending on where you heard it first.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

There are no absolutes other than death which we all face sooner or later.
W H Auden
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Brucey wrote:

That's Traeth Llanddwyn (Newborough Beach), Ynys Mon.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mike Sales wrote:
Brucey wrote:

So it is,I hadn't noticed that!
One of my favourite places in the UK :D
W H Auden
GranvilleThomas

Post by GranvilleThomas »

Mike Sales wrote:
Brucey wrote:

My self and my partner camped just off Newborough Beach a few years ago, not supposed to but we managed to avoid the Warden that was living in the cottage on Llanddwyn.

We only stayed one night and we left it exactly as we found it. Such a beautiful part of the world.

A young fox came right up to the front of the open tent before we left in the morning, still have the photographs here somewhere.

If you ever get the chance to go there, don't let it pass you by.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I feel that my footprints are over all of that picture, on the beach and in the hills, and my wake in the sea: I know Arfon and Ynys Mon so well that it is the land of my heart.

Since this is a cycling forum I want to add that I must have ridden every inch of road there too. Such memories, of sunshine, rain and snow, and wind and waves too. Why did I ever leave?
Last edited by Mike Sales on 2 Aug 2019, 10:04am, edited 2 times in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mike Sales wrote:I feel that my footprints are over all of that picture, on the beach and in the hills, and my wake in the sea: I know it so well that it is the land of my heart.

I can't disagree with that :D
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

my footsteps (not to mention wheeltracks) could be in parts of that picture too. My travels, in toto, on a map, might look no more than the (seemingly) random trail that a scurrying insect might leave behind it, but even when I'm not riding my bike, I dream of it, so the places I have been are the lands of my dreams....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

As an aside I was told by a geology student that the only other place the greenish rock outcrop at the link to the promontory is in New Zealand.
W H Auden
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Oldjohnw wrote:Let's have a Soviet state. The state can overrule all choices and it will be much more efficient. Remember that example in Russia? Nothing so inefficient as living in one place and working elsewhere. Send everyone to the factory making useless objects and make them live in shacks just outside the gate.

An interesting post.

Of course, in reality even non-Soviet states have successfully influenced the behaviour of individuals for the greater good:
- tax on fags,
- speeding laws,
- drink-driving campaigns,
- preferential taxation/legislation for certain industries/companies/regions,
...etc .. etc ...

just about everyone reading this forum will have benefitted from one of these measures.
GranvilleThomas

Post by GranvilleThomas »

Mike Sales wrote:I feel that my footprints are over all of that picture, on the beach and in the hills, and my wake in the sea: I know Arfon and Ynys Mon so well that it is the land of my heart.

Since this is a cycling forum I want to add that I must have ridden every inch of road there too. Such memories, of sunshine, rain and snow, and wind and waves too. Why did I ever leave?

It is a magical place, there is an aura about it that few places have. It's as if mother natures heart is beating there.

Cycled around the area a few times now and have never wanted to leave
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

GranvilleThomas wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:I feel that my footprints are over all of that picture, on the beach and in the hills, and my wake in the sea: I know Arfon and Ynys Mon so well that it is the land of my heart.

It is a magical place, there is an aura about it that some places have. It's as if mother natures heart is beating there.

Cycled around the area a few times now and have never wanted to leave

I know people who feel the same about Lleyn. And Ynys Enlli, (Bardsey) is a magic place. 10,000 saints are buried on the island. The pilgrim route there down through Clynnog Fawr to Aberdaron must be worthy of more celebration. After all, three pilgrimages to Bardsey were worth one to Rome.
To get back to the original subject of the thread, I explored all this glorious country by bike, minutely and intimately, in a way one could not by a motor driven vehicle. I understood the shape and contours of the land, and the exhilaration of topping the hill by Yr Eifl, and seeing more to explore.
Thank you Manics, for choosing that photo which took me back there.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Oldjohnw wrote:Let's have a Soviet state. The state can overrule all choices and it will be much more efficient. Remember that example in Russia? Nothing so inefficient as living in one place and working elsewhere. Send everyone to the factory making useless objects and make them live in shacks just outside the gate.

I am not in favour of total control, never claimed that (except for enforcement of traffic law, of course)
No need for it, we just need Mr Camerons nudge philosophy, and higher fuel/energy prices :wink:

If people travelled less to work they would save time and money, could spend more time on hobbies, or even working instead of travelling

Remember 1989, what suddenly changed after that year. Greta and I and millions of others believe in changes for the better
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 2 Aug 2019, 7:00pm, edited 2 times in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies