Help me get on my bike? Advice on commuting via Paddington

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Barks

Re: Help me get on my bike? Advice on commuting via Paddington

Post by Barks »

londonbikerider wrote:20 minutes from Paddington to Moorgate during working hours? That sound very optimistic!

Euston road would be the easiest road, but it's not great.
I am not very familiar with the "Cycle Highways" or whateverthey call them, but I'd probably try to go through back roads to Regent's park, Parkway/Camden, King's X then Pentonville rd. (it's uphill, sorry!) and City Road. I'd prefer the latter to Old street, is flat but busy and narrow.

The route across Hyde Park, Pall Mall and then along Embankment Superhighway turning off north towards Moorgate after Blackfriars Bridge - may be longer but avoids any hills. Alternative via Seymour St near Marble Arch then track through near Goodge St and Barbican, probably more traffic this way but again pretty flat. Both would take 30 mins or so, the former being slightly longer.

Just one thought, if you already have a bike then why not leave it Paddington and cycle the London bit for a few weeks to see how you get on - clearly already have a way of getting to/from Maidenhead Stn. Then try the Maidenhead end even if you have to walk up the hill on way home.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The OP does not mention how tall he/she is so the weight (what is that in kilos) does not mean much
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
softlips

Post by softlips »

It may be easier to start by riding a cheap bike to Maidenhead then bike hire in London. I used Boris bikes for six months before buying a Brompton. There is a Boris bike point near Paddington but I found it was very popular and there wasn’t always a bike free.

If your aim is to lose weight it would be better to keep away from electric assist bikes. Maidenhead is quite flat (although to be fair I only cycle from Vanwall business park to the station). Your journey in London is flat too.

I find cycling in London quite safe. You do have to have your wits about you and ride defensively- there certainly is a technique. But I feel safer there than most other UK cities.