Anyone recognise this bike frame?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Fishplate42

Anyone recognise this bike frame?

Post by Fishplate42 »

I bought this bike in bits along with another (I am still putting it together - and yes, I know the rear tyre is the wrong way around on the rim! :? ). The guy I bought it from thought it was a custom made frame. There are no markings on it anywhere. Does anyone know what make it is or if it is indeed a custom-made frame?

Ralph.
Hobbs1951

Re: Anyone recognise this bike frame?

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Looks like a modified shopper/folder to me: custom made ? Dream on :D

John.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

it doesn't look custom made to me. If you search for 'folding mountain bike' on ebay you will see similar devices (currently mostly with rear suspension) that fold in a similar way. IME such bikes normally weigh a ton and ride as if they have a hinge in the middle (for the simple reason that they do....) but there is no denying that they have their place; you can sling them in the back of a car etc and do one-way journeys that would be difficult otherwise.

Bikes made by montague fold about as easily, are a bit lighter, are a lot nicer to ride (because they are designed better and feel less as if they have a hinge in the middle) and also cost a fair bit more. Yer pays yer money etc....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
peetee

Post by peetee »

Looking at the height of the bottom bracket and the support welded to it I would say that it was designed for 20" wheels. Perhaps the custom built description pertains to the substitution for 26" wheels and the additional brake bosses and forks to match?
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Going off the hinge/folding mechanism I'd say it's a low end folder.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Fishplate42

Post by Fishplate42 »

reohn2 wrote:Going off the hinge/folding mechanism I'd say it's a low end folder.

I have no illusions of grandeur, it only cost me a few quid, I was just curious as to its origins. This bike and the other one (that has a seized stem - see my other post on the subject) are good learning curves for me. Once I have got them back together and tried them out, I will probably just sell them on. For me they are just a couple of old bikes to learn on, or at least get some experience.

Whatever the outcome, I am having a bit of fun and if I get to ride them soon, so much the better.

Ralph.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Whatever it is, it looks like a bargain. Appears to have bottle, mudguard and rack mounts, which would make it more useful (in my eyes, anyway!). Great for putting in the car and going to cycle trails at the very least.

Strange there are no markings - not even a serial number under the bottom bracket?
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Fishplate42

Post by Fishplate42 »

rmurphy195 wrote:Whatever it is, it looks like a bargain. Appears to have bottle, mudguard and rack mounts, which would make it more useful (in my eyes, anyway!). Great for putting in the car and going to cycle trails at the very least.

Strange there are no markings - not even a serial number under the bottom bracket?

My thoughts, exactly. No, there are no markings at all, not even under the bottom bracket. I think that is why the guy I bought it from, thought it was home-made/modified from something else. He did not think to ask the person he bought it from, its origins...

Ralph
londonbikerider

Post by londonbikerider »

Looks almost like a Dahon Jack of many years ago, though that was made out of aluminium alloy. The hinge looks the same.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

londonbikerider wrote:Looks almost like a Dahon Jack of many years ago, though that was made out of aluminium alloy. The hinge looks the same.

Found a couple of interesting articles about serial numbers https://dahon.com/how-old-is-my-dahon/

and counterfeits https://usa.dahon.com/support/authenticate-and-register/

the date on this web poage is interesting ref the counterfeits page https://dahon.com/bikes/jack-d7/
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

This used to be quite a popular frame design for folders, and with a simple fold, that was quick and easy.

Many manufacturers made them.

Pashley even made one for a while when they bought out Cresswell, although they had a different geometry

Good news is that it is a proven design so a good find
londonbikerider

Post by londonbikerider »

Not sure I'd call it a proven design, a friend of mne had one of those Dahon and the main frame hinge would always come loose. If I remember correctly, the whole thing was kept tight with an M5 threaded bar, far from being a sturdy arrangement!
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Looks a bit like an early a Dahon Espresso.
NUKe