Which fast tourer?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bonytony1966

Which fast tourer?

Post by bonytony1966 »

I am after a lightweight fast touring bike for commuting, day rides and occasional triathlons - one bike, many uses. I have my eye on a Ridgeback Horizon or a Dawes Audax and have a budget of up to about £700. Does anyone have any recommendations for these (or any other models). The Ridgeback has an 8 speed gear block and the Dawes a 10 speed. Any advantage of either of these - 10 seems a big range for a block.

Thanks
leftpoole

Re: Which fast tourer?

Post by leftpoole »

bonytony1966 wrote:I am after a lightweight fast touring bike for commuting, day rides and occasional triathlons - one bike, many uses. I have my eye on a Ridgeback Horizon or a Dawes Audax and have a budget of up to about £700. Does anyone have any recommendations for these (or any other models). The Ridgeback has an 8 speed gear block and the Dawes a 10 speed. Any advantage of either of these - 10 seems a big range for a block.

Thanks

Look at Thorn Club Tour.
John.
meic

Post by meic »

8 speed has much cheaper chains.
PC 48 chains £6 each. How much is a decent 10 speed chain?
On the other hand how long before you can no longer buy decent components for 8 speed systems?

You could get a fantastic second hand lightweight tourer for that money.
Lots of people buy top quality stuff before finding they dont really want to be a cyclist afterall.
Yma o Hyd
bonytony1966

Post by bonytony1966 »

Lots of people buy top quality stuff before finding they dont really want to be a cyclist afterall.

Been riding daily for about 15 years so I have an inkling I might be a cyclist! :wink:

Don't wish to sound like an impudent newbie - I welcome any advice. I'm quite keen to take advantage of the 'Cycle to work scheme' to get a new bike tax, NI and VAT free through my payroll - could save about 40% of the 'new' price.
meic

Post by meic »

I meant it was the people who discover they are not cyclists are the people that you and I can buy the cheap bikes off.
My friend just got an immaculate Van Nicholas for £800.
Yma o Hyd
pk

Post by pk »

Have a look at the Specialized Tricross sport
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Ok heres a way to get a really good new lightweight tourer:-
Buy the Thorn Audax Mk3 frame and fork only package from SJS cycles.
Go LBS buy a Tiagra groupset without hubs and a finishing kit ie 'bars &stem,saddle, pedals, 'guards,
Ask LBS to build a pair of wheels with good rims (drc or similar) and Ultegra hubs,good quality tyres and tubes.
I think if you shop around and build it yourself(quite enjoyable)or check the 'net you'll have a very good bike(contrary to JWarners' thoughts on the matter)for around your budget price.
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

Seconded. If you shop around you could build a Thorn Mk3 up for less than their standard build prices. You can save even more if you're able to pick up second hand parts (as I did). That way you'll end up with exactly the build you're looking for.

Back to comparing the original two options. The Ridgeback has a triple chainset whereas the Dawes Audax Sport and Audax Supreme only have double.

I see that Spa Cycles have the old model Dawes Audax for £650.00 That's a good price for a well specified bike with Reynold 631 frame and triple chainset and could be a good deal if the size suits you.
tb

Post by tb »

pk wrote:Have a look at the Specialized Tricross sport

I would second this.

A friend of mine bought a nearly new one of ebay for £300 and I was very impressed.

Nice frame / forks, decent groupset, well assembled and very light too.
pk

Post by pk »

tb wrote:
pk wrote:Have a look at the Specialized Tricross sport

I would second this.

A friend of mine bought a nearly new one of eBay for £300 and I was very impressed.

Nice frame / forks, decent groupset, well assembled and very light too.

Until the 2008 version there were issues wrt fork judder under heavy breaking (canti brakes), 2008 on they have min V & No issues wrt judder.
You friend's cheap one may have been one of the earlier versions that the owner did not get on with.

I would rate mine 9.5/10 & it only loses the 0.5 because the mini-V means you have to deflate the tyre to remove the wheel! Other than that it does what it says on the tin: Road, track, trail, towpath, really muddy and grotty stuff on trails on the north Downs, club runs, sportive (one so far, more to follow next year)
olon1968

Post by olon1968 »

Can thoroughly recommend the Tifosi CK7 (audax) frameset from chicken cycles.

http://www.chickencycles.co.uk/tifosi/

a really nice ride for under £200, put on whichever groupset you can afford or complete bike for about £800