... which kickstands will fit Spa's Wayfarer?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Vantage

... which kickstands will fit Spa's Wayfarer?

Post by Vantage »

There's bugger all room behind the seatpost on the chainstays for one.
I rely heavily on a kickstand and really need one. But I don't want to risk crushing the tube with one of those ones that clamp onto a single chainstay.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Brucey

Re: ... which kickstands will fit Spa's Wayfarer?

Post by Brucey »

my instinct is to say 'don't fit one'. There is no perfect solution here.

The sort that mount behind the BB work OK If they are fitted onto a braze-on plate (and BTW surly do a better clamp that fits their frames) but are otherwise liable to crush your frame to death. IIRC no-one warrants their frames if you use such a stand of the clamp-on variety.

The sort that clamps round both seatstay and chainstay near the rear hub are better, but they are normally only rated to a low weight limit, eg the Pletscher one is about 18kg including the bike, which means little or no luggage attached on a typical touring/utility bike.

If you have a braze-on mount on the chainstay this can work OK but I have seen such mounts start cracks off in the frame....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

Hi Vantage,
I used a kickstand attached to a chainstay on my old (alu) hybrid. As I learned more, I removed it. It so happened that the chainstay failed where the kickstand was. Coincidence? I know not.

For my MTB tourer I got a Clickstand. Light & compact it's expensive, but works a treat - even as fully loaded as I tend to go. I'm sure a handy person could make something similar at home.

http://www.click-stand.com/

The only issues I have had is that it needs support in soft ground (for example half a tennis ball). I damaged the rubber tip on mine but a replacement was easy on AliExpress. (Most of the damage was done getting stuck in soft ground). It's also not the best on steep hills.

The major advantage is that it does no damage to the frame. It can also be deployed quickly in the event of a dog coming too close!

I heartily recommend
Attachments
IMG_20170225_151953.jpg
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I'd forgotten about the klickstand!
Thanks chaps :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Or a fishing rod support. About £6.
John
pwa

Post by pwa »

Vantage wrote:I'd forgotten about the klickstand!
Thanks chaps :)

Looks handy. You could further minimise the chance of damage to the frame's paint by applying a wrap of tape with a zip tie each side of where the prop goes to eliminate any chance of it slipping. I.e. one wrap of insulation tape with a tie at each side.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

I use a rear hub mounted stand on my Spa Steel Tourer. It's rated to 25kg - the Hebie Fox 611 https://www.hebie.de/en/parking/rear-stands/fox/611/

I've never got along with behind-the-BB mounted stands as with panniers they tend to act as a pivot. The bike falls over with the smallest gust of wind. No similar issues with a rear hub mounted version
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

bohrsatom wrote:I use a rear hub mounted stand on my Spa Steel Tourer. It's rated to 25kg - the Hebie Fox 611 https://www.hebie.de/en/parking/rear-stands/fox/611/

I've never got along with behind-the-BB mounted stands as with panniers they tend to act as a pivot. The bike falls over with the smallest gust of wind. No similar issues with a rear hub mounted version

I looked at something similar but I fear the bikes rear disc brake assembly would get in the way.
Bill

simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Have you asked Spa for a recommendation?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Oldjohnw wrote:Or a fishing rod support. About £6.

I was about to add a walking stick with a "V" at the top - that is a fishing rod thing. I think that is the best non damaging soln
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

Vantage wrote:
bohrsatom wrote:I use a rear hub mounted stand on my Spa Steel Tourer

I looked at something similar but I fear the bikes rear disc brake assembly would get in the way.

I can't find a photo of the Wayfarer with the non-drive side of the bike facing the camera, but if the disc assembly in any way sticks out of the rear triangle then I doubt the Hebie would fit, unfortunately.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

simonhill wrote:Have you asked Spa for a recommendation?

No but I bet it would be a "We don't recommend them" answer.
Worth a shot though I guess.
Bill

Oggi

Post by Oggi »

I made a clickstand myself from some old tent poles (Wild Country Quasar) and a bung from a walking pole picked up on a walk and attached with sugru. A bungee from the same tent serves as a handbrake. Thorn are very specific about not using a kickstand.
Attachments
1C00EC64-BA2E-40A3-9536-9D59231B3D3A.jpeg
531colin

Post by 531colin »

simonhill wrote:Have you asked Spa for a recommendation?

Are you familiar with the advice of "Punch" to those about to get married?
The trouble with stands is.....
most people don't want one
if you don't want one, you don't want a big ugly bit of steel welded to your frame to fit one
if you fit one that clamps on the chainstays behind the bottom bracket, it will crush the tubes....after its worked loose and you have tightened it a few times
Surly now sell plates machined to fit the tubes exactly, spreading the load imposed by the stand so that it doesn't crush the tube, in exactly the same way that handlebar stems are shaped to fit the handlebars, so you never see a dented handlebar, seatposts fit frames so you never see a distorted seat collar, and front mechs. fit seat tubes so you never see a dented seat tube......oh, wait a minute.....
Instead of a tubular chainstay bridge, you can have a sheet metal bridge welded to the chainstays with a hole to bolt a stand onto. Their normal failure mode is for the tube to crack along the weld line.
Ones like this https://www.hebie.de/en/parking/rear-stands/fox/611/ that I have seen in the flesh are made of sheet steel which normally distorts rather than crushing the tube, and that one won't fit with a chainstay mounted disc brake caliper. At least a new stand is cheaper than a new frame.
If you must have a stand, the clickstand type are unlikely to do any damage.
The higher up you fit the clickstand, the better....in Oggi's photo, the stand is fitted to the saddle rails.
Bottom bracket and dropout fitting stands are lower on the bike than the luggage, so the weight of the luggage is acting through a nice long lever, which is how you undo a bolt thats really tight; you get a long spanner.
Here https://www.cyclingabout.com/best-kickstands-for-bicycle-touring/ there are a couple of stands which bolt to a fitting on the chainstay. I can see some mileage in this idea, but I think in order to get it past customers who don't want a stand (the majority), the fixing holes would have to be incorporated into the dropout, so this would be disc only (because rim brake dropouts aren't long enough). So you need a dropout that isn't bigger than a standard (disc) dropout, incorporating fixing holes, the holes positioned so the stand doesn't interfere with the disc caliper or change the normal position of the Q/R lever, which is parallel to or just below the chainstay.
I'm trying to find examples where this is done well.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Another vote for a homemade click stand.