E cars and the change to the urban landscape

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: E cars and the change to the urban landscape

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I think supply has to come before demand in this case :wink:

Think of smartphones: supply came first :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I think supply has to come before demand in this case :wink:

Think of smartphones: supply came first :?

Actually .. and i apologise for being a pedant .... mobile phones came first, then the marketing guys realised the market was fixed so the emperors new clothes effect was started .... small phones, flip phones, .. smart phones .... it was a process ... but yes i broadly agree .... It does backfire sometimes ... think Betamax and Phillips 2000 .....the Phillips system ended up fitted to Panavia Tornado as a data logger as the quality of its data recording was superb ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

landsurfer wrote:I both laugh and frown at the same time at your lack of understanding of engineering .... :D

My understanding of engineering tells me that multiplying the efficiency of the generator by the efficiency of the battery by the efficiency of the electric motor doesn't give me more than 100%.

Therefore the power from the generator would be better fed to the wheels and used directly thus removing two terms from the above equation.

No such thing as "self charging" it's a marketing gimmick.
They're just hybrids and their only advantage is regenerative braking.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

661-Pete wrote:Will it happen in our lifetimes?

Absolutely.

Good EV's have waiting lists, every manufacturer has a whole range of them in development. BMW claim they'll have 22(?) models out in the next couple of years.
We're just coming over the hill, it's all downhill from now so just watch as the pace of change starts to crank up.

It's only a couple of years ago we had a similar discussion about e-bikes and most folk thought they'd do nothing, nobody wanted them, too complex, didn't solve a problem, too expensive.
Now you can't move for them around me, I see more e-bikes now than normal bikes - and not cheap and cheerful conversions like mine either, £2k+ versions seem to abound.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Yes it will change the landscape - but such terraces will be the last places to change. You’ll have car parks for charging...
You might even have a few electric points on the kerbside - with the car registering who it is when it plugs in to bill for the power (you don’t need a cable to your house, just a reasonably standard way to charge for power.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Yes it will change the landscape - but such terraces will be the last places to change. You’ll have car parks for charging...
You might even have a few electric points on the kerbside - with the car registering who it is when it plugs in to bill for the power (you don’t need a cable to your house, just a reasonably standard way to charge for power.

I used to live in a street with narrow fronted terraces on both sides. The street itself was too narrow to allow parking on both sides. As it was in the town centre commuters grabbed any space they found empty. The nearest parking was farther than the average motorist liked to walk. Some of the houses were used by students who might well have more than one car per household. It was a recipe for conflict.
It would be even more fun with charging points.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mike Sales wrote: .....It would be even more fun with charging points.

But if you came home in your Ecar and needed it charged for the following day,yet knew you only stood a 50/50 chance of getting on charge point you'd either walk say the 300 to 500m home from the nearest charge point or you'd have thought ahead and had it charging where it's been parked at your destination or have a battery change at the local swap station.

I don't think Ecars will be a total answer but if they are 60 or 70% of private cars and a much better public transport system with active travel and more local food shops,internet food shopping,etc,etc,whatever but the UK needs to trethinkmit's private travel system.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

reohn2 wrote:
Mike Sales wrote: .....It would be even more fun with charging points.

But if you came home in your Ecar and needed it charged for the following dayyet knew you only stood a 50/50 chance of getting on charge point you'd either walk say the 300 to 500m home from the nearest charge point or you'd have thought ahead and had it charging where it's been parked at your destination or have a battery change at the local swap station.

I don't think Ecars will be a total answer but if they are 60 or 70% of private cars and a much better public transport system with active travel and more local food shops,internet food shopping,etc,etc, whatever but the UK needs to trethinkmit's private travel system.

Quite, but car users expect things to be rather more convenient. In fact they demand it. Perhaps you have seen the TV programmes Parking Wars?
Oh dear, what a pity, never mind.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Mike Sales wrote:I used to live in a street with narrow fronted terraces on both sides. The street itself was too narrow to allow parking on both sides. As it was in the town centre commuters grabbed any space they found empty. The nearest parking was farther than the average motorist liked to walk. Some of the houses were used by students who might well have more than one car per household. It was a recipe for conflict.

I know people who live like that now.
They're careful about what times they go out in the car so that when they get back they'll still have a parking space. Often they won't use the car because they don't want to lose the space.

What sort of car ownership is that? Charging is the least of their worries.
Eventually self driving and shared ownership will knock that sort of nonsense on the head although we're still a while off that.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

kwackers wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:I used to live in a street with narrow fronted terraces on both sides. The street itself was too narrow to allow parking on both sides. As it was in the town centre commuters grabbed any space they found empty. The nearest parking was farther than the average motorist liked to walk. Some of the houses were used by students who might well have more than one car per household. It was a recipe for conflict.

I know people who live like that now.
They're careful about what times they go out in the car so that when they get back they'll still have a parking space. Often they won't use the car because they don't want to lose the space.

What sort of car ownership is that? Charging is the least of their worries.
Eventually self driving and shared ownership will knock that sort of nonsense on the head although we're still a while off that.

I am not knocking electric cars, I am all for them. And of course they will not solve our car problems.
It is just that in this case, for a time, they will complicate the difficulties.
I do not sympathise with these people.
More than once I had to lift my bike above my head and sidle sideways in order to get to my front door steps.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mike Sales wrote:Quite, but car users expect things to be rather more convenient. In fact they demand it. Perhaps you have seen the TV programmes Parking Wars?
Oh dear, what a pity, never mind.

That's why I said we need to rethink personal travel,as at present it's grossly inefficient.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Up thread mentions cable across pavements - no problem - run them overhead. Simples. :wink:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

pwa wrote:I raised these issues some time ago on this forum, especially the potential problem for blind or elderly people of having cables draped over pavements, and was assured that this will not be a problem. So that's okay then.

Some years ago I used to ride tandem with a vision impaired bloke and he told me then that the vision impaired community was becoming quite concerned about the increasing number of e cars because they are a lot quieter than those with i/c engines and more difficult to hear approaching thus creating more difficulty when crossing roads.

Mike
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

kwackers wrote:I do think charging at home is a slightly odd thing.
Why do people want to do it? It's never occurred to them to run a petrol line to their car so why should they worry about running a power line?
Why not simply go somewhere and charge it up?
Folk obviously do it since there are always cars charging at the supermarket / cinema etc when I'm out and about. I don't see why that won't simply expand.

Anyway the problem at the moment is that there is no problem.
There are lots of potential solutions but they're not yet needed. Once the number of cars start to increase then we'll start to see solutions being implemented.

On the positive side hopefully it'll mean all those folk who park on the pavement outside their houses because they can't be bothered using their drive will have an incentive to do so.

Because the systems are different?
I will top up my car on the way home tonight. It is on my way home and will take 2 or three minutes, however, if I nip to a public charger with an electric car that maybe 5 or not 6 hours

It depends on the power output of the chargers. and even with the highest output is over an hour for a top-up

Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Mike_Ayling wrote:
Some years ago I used to ride tandem with a vision impaired bloke and he told me then that the vision impaired community was becoming quite concerned about the increasing number of e cars because they are a lot quieter than those with i/c engines and more difficult to hear approaching thus creating more difficulty when crossing roads.

Playing card in the spokes :D
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)