Dummy Battery for ebikes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Michael Skinner

Dummy Battery for ebikes

Post by Michael Skinner »

Hi all,

I think if somebody were to manufacture dummy batteries for ebikes they'd make a good bit of profit. If I had the skill and the tools for this I'd probably do it myself, but I haven't so I'm suggesting it for somebody who has.

I think it would be useful because, for example; if you use your ebike to commute to work and you need to take the battery off to charge it in the office during to day but the place you park your bike is not under cover, the dummy battery could be put in place to protect the electrical parts in case the bike gets rained on.
gaz

Re: Dummy Battery for ebikes

Post by gaz »

Since the "dummy" only has to cover the contacts it could be considerably smaller and more transportable than the real battery, handy because a full-size dummy would be a cumbersome thing to carry around.

However to my knowledge there is no standard design of either e-bike batteries or their connectors, necessitating a great many designs of mini "dummy".

By contrast the plastic bag, already used by many commuters to cover saddles in case of rain, can provide a simple cover to a range of electrical connections.Widely available, typically at a cost of 5p or less.

As the Dragons say, I'm out.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

?????

Can't you just use a shower cap, why the expense of a dummy battery
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

skyhawk wrote:?????

Can't you just use a shower cap, why the expense of a dummy battery

Gaffa Tape - (c) zenitb 2019
hemo

Post by hemo »

Pointless exercise and money down the drain.
As mentioned shower cap or placcy bag.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

It would be easy to design the bike so the contacts could not get wet, maybe a simple spring wodget so they retract
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies